“disappointing... there are better ones out there”

Adirondack Scenic Railroad
Ranked #2 of 2 Tours in Utica
More attraction details
Owner description: All aboard for the Adirondacks, travel through remote forests, past sparkling rivers, over bridges, tranquil ponds and streams, into the magnificent beauty of the six million acre Adirondack Park. Become a witness of nature's beauty and look out for the many animals and birds along the routes. Our train adventures offer many different scenic excursions departing from Utica's Union Station, Thendara Station near Old Forge, Saranac Lake Union Depot and Lake Placid Station. For more information on on departures or for contact information please check out our website.
Reviewed December 1, 2013

This was very disorganized and their workers extremely uninformed and unhelpful. The santa claus looked like someone they just grabbed off the street...no jolly, no ho ho ho.. not even a beard! when i asked one of their 'elves' about getting cookies and cocoa, they told us it was for the first classpassengers only.. u mean i would have to have paid $50 per person? geez.. a 2 hour train ride.. no movie, no announcements.. exactly like a 1st grade classrom in chaos. Then, we FROZE on the train.. no heat.. i guess the word climate controlled means that it is as cold inside as it is outside, and when a handful of people complained ( we were beyone asking) , the conductor and the elf had told us, "hmm, well, WE dont feel cold, are you sure your cold?" There was no direction of where to go.. only a sign that says "track 1"... now who would think that this was an actual working AMTRAK station? When it came time for activities, it was at the very end, about 02 minutes before we concluded.. to which, there was no organization, and none of the elves knew any of the songs, so songs ended about 30 seconds after they were started. Finally, just to add, the conductor was oblivious to the fact that there were children on this train>> meaning that the train made several stop starts and jumps.. and the very least we could have bee notifed instead of it just happening and children flying all over the place because no one was ever seated or told to be seated...

2  Thank Paul A

Reviewed December 1, 2013

Kids enjoyed it because They don't know any better yet ages 2 and 3. I could put together a better " North Pole" for few hundred dollars and a trip to Home Depot in an afternoon. The elves all had half assed costumes made from felt/fleece with just a head hole cut I it like a poncho. For the amount of money you pay to go 4 cars 100 people each car x27 that $10800 per trip 2x a day 4 days a week for 4-5 weeks.... Do the math no reason a little time energy and effort can't be put into this and make it nice. Over all I say save your money and stay home and watch the movie.

3  Thank 101,814
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Over all my husband and I were VERY disappointed with the Fall Foliage train trip. We are new to the Northeast and were very excited to experience our first fall changing of the colors. I understand this was the last run of the "Fall Foliage" train trips but the website did not make any indication that it is WAY past the time and the trees are actually mainly bare now. We feel ripped off to be honest. The site should have an updated active link to let people know the current state of the foliage. The conductor stated several times "the advantage of no leaves being on the trees is you can see more of the surroundings". Really??? we paid $75 to enjoy the fall foliage not to see into peoples backyards.
The dining car was poorly understaffed by a sweet women who was clearly overwhelmed. The line to obtain anything was over 20 people deep at all times on the trip. We finally gave up on trying purchase anything.
The trip wan 45 minutes over its printed return time adding to our frustration making a disappointing day even worse. I'm afraid I could never recommend this trip

6  Thank rebeccaseal
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Well, this is the lowest rating I have ever given. I knew that the company was run by mostly volunteers and I did not have too high of expectations.

One of the primary problems was that we chose a layover trip. The issue was that no one knew when the return trip was. And I mean no one. We ended up using advise from the elderly lady in the gift shop and we still had to wait two and a half hours in Thendara for the return trip. How was this possible? My wife even got "shhhhed" by the woman behind the counter in Thendora when we could not get an answer. I still cannot believe how no one knew. Don't they do this every week?

Additionally, I guess "scenic" is a matter of perspective but we were not impressed.

The staff on the train were alarmingly odd and mostly just made us feel uncomfortable.

I would have MUCH rather just taken a car ride, or better yet a motorcycle ride, to Old Forge. This train ride was not what we had hoped.

I suppose if you have children or a group of people and you were looking for something different to do. But I would suggest just a day trip. And maybe some alcohol.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

My wife and I took the train from Utica and Thendara and back yesterday. It was a fun trip, except for the details. Some streamlining could be done here to make the experience even better. Having to stop in the front of the station, at the ASRR ticket office and gift shop led to some difficulties for some folks. It is a long walk for those with disabilities to the front of the station and then back, up and over the tracks, and back to the waiting area. Perhaps a ticket counter at the tracks might be more efficient. We waited in line to board the train for about 30 minutes and had virtually no instructions about where to go or what to do. The train is listed as "handicapped accessible". This means that someone will pull you onboard and pull your wheelchair in behind you. Not exactly what I had in mind. Timing was also a problem. We were told to be there early because the train left at 11:30 sharp....make that 11:45. We were told that we were to be back in Utica at 4:30....make that 5:45. It's hard to plan when things are that far behind. When we returned, the office and gift shop was closed. That was disappointing because I had found a print that I liked but didn't want to risk taking it on the whole trip. All of that being said, it was a very enjoyable experience that we would do again.