“Glad it was there”

Long Island Marriott
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Uniondale
Reviewed September 17, 2013

This area of Long Island is lacking in hotels, so the Marriott has little if any competition. Thankfully, this did not make a difference in the quality we are accustomed to from Marriott. The staff was helpful, the rooms clean and well appointed with comfortable beds, although the pillows could have been better. This is a very busy place, but that should be expected with this being the only accomdation available in this busy area.
The only frustrating incovenience occurred because we had to book by phone rather than internet. We have stayed in numerous Marriott hotels and, when needing to call the local hotel rather than book on line, we always were able to book with the local hotel.
This time I was switched to the central booking and it was frustrating, to say the least. I could barely hear the person I talked to when booking the rooms. It got worse when I had to call back to change the reservations. I again called the local hotel and was again switched to the central booking where I spoke with a person whose English was nearly unintelligible. I asked for a supervisor; same thing. We still could not understand each other. Where is Marriott's central booking??? Moral of the story, book on line if at all possible. I did finally get the local Marriott to deal with changing the reservation, but they totally messed it up in spite of telling me it was taken care of. They had us checked out one hour after checking in, rather than the two nights we booked. I know it's a busy hotel, but.... This is the first difficult time in a Marriott for us and once the reservations were straightened out, our stay was fine. Sadly, if we return to the area, there is nowhere else to stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Used this marriott for accommodations for a wedding on Long Island. Staff is very pleasant and helpful - courteous and easy to ask a question of. Our room was on the 9th floor facing east. Lovely view of the surrounding area - it included a corner balcony. Clean and well appointed room - WIFI charge daily which, at this point, I believe should not be an additional charge (just my opinion) - Very easy to hook up/log in, and power up (plenty of outlets including those dedicated to the desk area). Centrally located not far from major highways. Directly behind the Nassau Coliseum, and very close to Hofstra University. Bathroom updated, comfortable mattress, upgraded bedding.

Pool area and work out areas both large and clean - with 24 hour access to work out facilities.

The two "connected" restaurants are average, i believe, for being associated with a Marriott Property and were open long enough for food to be available almost all the time - also there is a pretty extensive room service menu and the option to "pre order" breakfasts every day.

I would definitely recommend this Marriott to travelers who need accommodations in this area.

Room Tip: If you don't want the sun waking you early, ask for a room on the western side. There are black...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Adequate accommodations for a night or two. Nothing fancy and nothing terrible. This hotel does have a cute little gift shop and a few places to eat which are expensive on both food and drinks. And it's true that this is a hustling, bustling place! Very busy.
Another reviewer mentioned sports fans - there are many of them! This Marriott is located right next to the Nassau Coliseum on Hempstead Tpke. Oh, and there is a "Fridays" restaurant under 10 minutes away on Merrick Avenue (North of Hempstead Tpke.)

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We stayed at this Marriott for my nieces wedding. My brother had reserved a block of rooms for this occasion at a special rate. We had over half of the wedding attendees stay at this hotel. I was amazed to find out that there was at least 10 wedding parties there at the same time. This hotel has an amazing staff,always friendly and informative. This hotel is in a great location for shopping,visiting,sports venue next door(Nassau County Colliseum),restaurants and close to major highways. Huge pool and work-out gym. Very enjoyable stay. Would stay there again. The only drawback I found was lack of car Valet service.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 10th floor and it was very quiet even with all the parties going on.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here through the worst part of the storm and we were in pretty good shape. We had a nice sized room with a small fridge, housekeeping did a great job and the food in the bar/restaurant area was terrific and served with a smile. Rooms and common area could use an upgrade-- will look forward to that in future !

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed September 3, 2013

To find this Marriott in Nassau County was a huge plus -- to have it be so 1st-rate run is amazing. This Marriott is very busy similar to a NYC hotel due to the high volume of people coming and going. It is extremely clean, customer service is wonderful, and rooms perfect. This is our "go to" place when visiting family. I would recommend the buffet over ordreing ala carte -- with the high volume of people it is a better deal.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed here for three nights around the time that our out-of-town college student needed to move in to Hofstra. The location was wonderful for that, as it is the closest hotel to campus. It was also very easy to take the Meadowbrook Parkway just a few blocks from the hotel to get to many stores which sell things that my college student needed such as linens, art supplies, hardware, clothing basics, and toiletries. Just about every major chain store is within easy driving distance.
The hotel room was fine, though a bit on the small side. We usually like two queen beds for four adults but the rooms in this hotel were only big enough to hold two doubles. There was no room for a rollaway. The mattresses themselves were good quality and comfortable. The room was clean and had a refrigerator.
They charge for internet, but it worked well and was high speed.
There are about 6 elevators so I never had any difficulty getting an elevator and never had to wait.
One day we were moving many things down to the parking lot and needed a rolling luggage cart. We found that the hotel only has two of them. When my son borrowed one from the bellman he was advised to bring it back quickly because some people in the past have left carts in their rooms while others needed them. I could understand them asking that, and we brought the cart back within ten minutes. However, when we got back to the room (after we returned the cart) there was a message light on the phone, asking us to bring the cart back, apparently left 5 minutes after we borrowed it. I thought that was rather rude and distrustful because ten minutes is certainly a reasonable amount of time to bring a cart upstairs, load it, get it downstairs, pack a car, and return the cart. This hotel clearly needs more luggage carts.
Other than that, the staff was friendly and helpful, directing us to outside restaurants serving the type of food we desired and giving us directions. I had requested some extra pillows and they had taken care of that prior to check in. We had to wait a while when purchasing snacks at the convenience store because the front-desk staff takes care of this function too but check-in takes priority. I wish they had a better system.
I found the atmosphere in the hotel to be fine. There were nice refreshing fruit drinks/lemonade in the lobby and places to sit a while. It was busy with people coming and going but relatively quiet in terms of noise level. I did not experience any raucus guests like others have mentioned. When we were there guests were mainly attending weddings and visiting college. I think that the rowdy guests others spoke of must have been there after shows at the Colleseum, which was not operating while we were there.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank GeekyDCLady
Also consider these accommodations in or near Uniondale
Hyatt Place Garden City
Hampton Inn Garden City
Hampton Inn Garden City
#3 of 4 in Garden City
Homewood Suites by Hilton Carle Place - Garden City

Been to Long Island Marriott? Share your experiences!