Park Motel and Cabins
Hotel Saranac, Curio Collection by Hilton(Saranac Lake)(Great Value!)
$130
Agoda.com
Gauthier's Saranac Lake Inn and Hotel(Saranac Lake)(Great Value!)
$76
$71
Shaheen's Adirondack Inn(Tupper Lake)
Red Top Inn(Tupper Lake)
Tupper Lake Motel(Tupper Lake)
Adirondack Motel(Saranac Lake)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsbagelswild centeran upgradeher husbandroom was cleanlabor day weekendnice ownersthe ownermaggiefaucethikemiles
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 12, 2011

I have to admit, when I first saw our room (#8 - #2 of the photos provided), I was a little disappointed. It was small, dank, and had a bed that seemed to have had too many guests over the years. I didn't even unpack my suitcase, something I compulsively do even on a one night stay.

But - the funny thing was, I awoke the next morning, and all of a sudden, saw this place for what it is. You know those quirky little cabins that you used to stay at when on vacation in the 60s? Well, this is one of them. After having spent the day at the Adirondack museum the previous day, I realized - this is one of the "camps" that people have been returning to the Adirondacks for years to enjoy. No, it's not a chain - and certainly, in Dallas, $79 would buy you a much nicer room. But - this is an experience.

So, in the morning I unpacked my suitcase - only to be informed by my husband that he had talked with the proprieter (an extremely friendly woman) and we were going to be changing rooms to a larger room (#6 - #6 of the photos provided). Our new room was more spacious - and updated. The tv was actually a flat screen tv (notice, I didn't say flat panel.) I think we were in a time warp and went from 1960 to 1965. Only the color tv belied that fact.

But - I would give this place 4 stars for these reasons:

First and foremost - I think it is an authentic Adirondack experience. Where else can you find a motel like this?? There are plenty of motels of this type in the Adirondacks, but if not this one - do stay in a motel like it. You won't be able to have this experience forever - as these places seem to be falling by the wayside, literally. Help support the local economy.

Second - The proprieters were working every time I saw them. They are friendly, hospitable, and welcoming. It was easy to imagine that you've known them for 30 years.

Third - The pool is refreshing. The breakfast suitable. And the room - tolerable. Don't be too judgmental. Enjoy the experience. It is a "cabin" in the Adirondacks!

Again, I would highly recommend you to come to Tupper Lake for the experience. It's like stepping back in time. And since I'm from Texas - I certainly recommend the temperatures there in the summer!

Room Tip: Just ask. I am sure that the proprieters (I wish I knew the names) would give you the best available.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank donadelee
Reviewed August 12, 2011

The Park Motel is not only a friendly place, but is the best value in Tupper Lake, a place I go through often. It has the nicest grounds of any motel, shady trees, gardens and lush grass. It is also very convenient for travelers heading towards Lake Placid or workers and visitors to the Sunmont Developmental Center and the Natural History Museum of the Adirondacks since they are the closest to all of them. The proprietors are really friendly and help any guest out without hesitation. The only problem that I had is that the beds in some of the cabins are a bit soft and should be replaced.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Jakerster
ParkMotelandCabins, Owner at Park Motel and Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2015

all our beds have been replaced since this review was written in 2011.

Reviewed August 3, 2011

After planning to stop in the Saranac Lake area for the night on way from Maine back to home in PA, our initial plan was to stay at the Tail O" The Pup in Ray Brook in one of their cabins. Before checking in, my wife wanted to look over our cabin to see how clean it was. Long story short we told the 'host' no thanks and immediately canceled our reservation on the spot. Forgetting it was Ironman weekend in Lake Placid, there were no rooms available in SL or LP. We decided to drive west to Tupper Lake and called the Park Motel first and reserved a cabin. It was 9:30 pm and we just wanted a clean place to stop for the nite. The wife's owner at check in was pleasant but the cabin was certainly not. The two full size beds were very outdated and uncomfortable. The headboards were the vinyl padding style that is screwed into the wall. Those were sticky to the touch and who knows what they were sticky from. The floor was clean and we assumed the bed linens were too but didn't bother opening up the sheets. The bathroom was very outdated with ancient fixtures and some the towel rack brackets were rusted. The shower "area" was not inviting either. There was no tub. A faulty fixture in the toilet allowed for constant refillng all night long. Shutting the bathroom door did not help. None of the windows could be opened as they were very outdated as well. Fortunately we had our own pillows in the car so we used them as well as a few blankets we also brought on our trip. We just slept on top of the cabin bed blankets after removing the bed spreads and moving them to the floor. The room does come with a microwave, fridge, tv and cable. Needless to say, upon waking up at 6 am, we promplty brushed our teeth and departed. Didn't bother using the shower. Maybe the rooms in the main motel part are more modern but avoid renting a cabin if at all possible.

1  Thank dcu82
Reviewed July 17, 2011

nothing fancy, Very nice owners!! we rented a cabin, it was the last available. small, but very clean. double bed needs replacing, quite old. shower old but nice warm water after it ran a few minutes. fridge and microwave in room. nice picnic tables out front. Pool looked very nice. Bar and resturant next door. great place for one night while traveling.

Reviewed July 13, 2011

My family and I stayed here which was supposed to be three nights. I trusted Trip Advisor and the comments that were left, that is why i actually booked the room over 2 months ago (back in may). Well, we could not make it through the 3 nights, so we had to cut our trip short and head home after a LONG miserable night. The cabins are not updated AT ALL. Everything is from the 70's. The sink has HOT water on one side and cold water ont he other side, could not even wash our face! NO STOPPER supplied for the sink either (not saying that it would have helped). No way to open the windows, sealed shut.. The shower was from 1970's and it was like standing under a hose. All of the women slept in their clothes for fear over bed bugs. If you do not smoke and do not want everything you have smelling like smoke when you leave-request a non-smoking cabin. There are no private firepits...only one on premise and its community shared. On a side note, the owners are very nice, but they are definately OVER CHARGING (we paid over $110 for one night for a small cabin) ! We did stop and price some others on our way out of town and they were much less expensive with better views and rooms. We will never stay here again.

4  Thank skindy02