“night from hell”
Review of Red Top Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tupper Lake
Red Top Inn
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Tupper Lake
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We picked this hotel because it said nightly bon fires and thought that would be nice to do on a fall night. When we were checking in I asked about that, and she said you have to pay $10 for the wood and you might have other hotel patrons come to enjoy it with you. We saw it was AAA approved on their website and when we asked if we could get the AAA rate she said no, this is the price it is. Also upon checking in she said let me know if you need anything. Well I wanted to go down there and say can we get a box spring with our bed? The hard as a rock thin mattress was on top of a plywood box instead of a box spring. I already get back problems so I had to sleep with one of the thin pillows under my legs and bunched up my bathrobe to make it more soft under my side. It even hurt my back sitting on the bed to watch TV. Thank god I brought a pillow from home because the pillows are so thin. My husband who doesn't have back issues was up at 3:00AM with side pain and couldn't get back to sleep. I couldn't wait until morning to get out of there. The people next door to us had their TV on all night and we could hear that as well. The only good thing about this place is it was clean and the owner was nice but she needs to spend some money on better beds! We are tent campers and I so wished we went camping instead, the air mattress would have felt like heaven on earth compared to that bed!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank vicki w

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Basic resting place in a beautiful setting. Nice people in management. a Simple good no frills place. Bed comfortable. worth the price. not too far from the town. Right off the highway-nice views of the Lake

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We always have a good time at the RED TOP INN.The cabin is clean,comfortable and inexpensive.We stayed from Aug. 16th till the 20th.There are plenty of things to do IF you know
where to go.The fishing was good.The scenery excellent.The people are nice.I highly disagree with the bad rap or negative reviews people give the red top.This Tupper lake as in layed back,
relaxing,fishing,canoeing etc.If your looking for 5 star acommadtions,go to lake placid and hang with the yuppie crowd.We will be back again next year,same time so hold a room for us.

Room Tip: We like the cabins.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jack d
Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

Found this after a long ride. Great relaxing Inn. Rooms were rustic but very spacious and comfy. The reception was great and the owners we're very friendly. Great sunsets and a fire pit on the waters edge. Exactly what I expected in the Adirondacks. Will ride in again.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We love the Adirondacks and wanted to stay out of the crowd. Tupper Lake is the perfect location for that. It is close to hiking and canoeing, our favorite activities. We needed a reasonably priced place to stay, just a basic place to sleep. This location provides that. If you have a choice, take an upstairs room. The downstairs has had some water damage and really needs airing out and sunlight, but the upstairs gives a view of the lake and does not have that issue. The property includes a small sandy beach area. Beware some fish from the dock so wear shoes or watch carefully for hooks.

Room Tip: Stay on the second floor if you have a choice.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank HopeLady
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I highly agree with the positive reviews on this page.
In particular, the older ones, "Good place to stay", "A great home away from home", "A great casual get-away place", and "Not bad for the price".

I feel that the negative reviews are extremely biased propaganda, and frankly find them to be quite humorous. Frankly, some are quite immature, I'm sure you will agree. Squabbling about a row boat?! Outdated?! Dark?! Depressing?! Blah, blah, blah.... Sounds more like the reviewers inner personality spewing rhetoric to act out in spite.
I grew up in the Adirondacks, have family in the Tupper Lake area, have stayed frequently at the Red Top and other "motels" in the area for over 30 years, and know the amazing history on how the Red Top has provided sportsman, couples, families, and weary travelers a home away from home for decades.....the well maintained and appointed original cabins, close to a century.

Who sits in their motel room anyway? An outdated, dark, depressing person lol. Seriously, if you're in the Adirondacks, it's to get out and enjoy the outdoors anyway. BUT, if you do get stuck in your room on a rainy, dark, dreary, depressing day, who would want to be in a room with rough cut knotty pine walls? Yah, Mr. row boat complainer dude prefers plain white sheet rock walls, so his panties were in a bundle, and he had to complain about something.

Anyways, the 2 story main motel was built approx 1978 in preparation for the 1980 olympics. It remains rustic, with updates, is well appointed, and is extremely clean and well maintained. Some rooms having kichenettes, and even a couple "apartments". All are very cozy and satisfactory for the proverbial, "place to rest ones head". I have never been disappointed with my room, nor it's cleanliness, and if ever I've needed anything, the owners and help have always graciously assisted me in any way they could.

The Red Tops location is a bonus in my book. It sits approx 2 miles from town center, at the base of Mount Morris (Big Tupper Ski Area), 1 mile from Tupper Lake Golf Course, and directly on the shores of beautiful Tupper Lake. There are actually only 2 places on all of Tupper Lake with beaches, and the Red Top is home to one of them. On the shore of Tupper Lake, not even a half mile directly across from the Red Top, are "The Bluffs".....Enormous White Pine surrounded smooth granite cliffs that range in height from 10 to 30 feet off the water, and is famous for being a favorite swimming hole of generations of people from "rock star" status, down to new born local.

A few miles up the lake is "The Bog", a natural waterfall that flows into Tupper Lake from the Bog River. Bog River Falls are smooth and are also famous for being one of the favorite of all swimming holes in the Adirondack Park, as you can sit at the top, and ride the falls down.

All the time, there is tremendous fishing in between. The owner of the Red Top is an avid fisherman, with superior knowledge of the lake. There are fishing supplies on site as well as motor boats for rent. Maybe, if you're lucky, there may even be a row boat :)

All-in-all, I highly recommend the RedTop to any traveler who likes a nice clean, cozy, casual room, at a cost effective rate.

Room Tip: #22 I believe it is, is a huge kitchen, living room, bedroom (2 double beds) combo, that covers the...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank 7FOLD
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I expected this place to be an amazing stay, as stated on their website. Definitely, not. The owners, are rude and unappreciative. Fake smiles, and the feeling of they just dont care. I've been there twice, the first time I was there I knew I didnt want to go back but all the other hotels were booked so I guess we were left with no choice, and the second time we came there was absolutely no change. Everything was old and rusty and it stayed that way since plus there was a one year gap.The motel smells of oldness, and it has no work put into it. It feels like im in the 19 hundreds. The rooms have old furniture and they are overall dark, and I feel so depressed in them. The only pleasant thing is the view, but the beach it self is not taken care of like it was stuck in the middle of nowhere.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
#2 of 9 in Saranac Lake
Long View Lodge
Long View Lodge
#4 of 5 in Long Lake

Been to Red Top Inn? Share your experiences!