“They get everything right.”
Review of Hazelnut Kitchen

Hazelnut Kitchen
Ranked #1 of 24 Restaurants in Trumansburg
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Hazelnut Kitchen is located in Trumansburg NY, the heart of the Finger Lakes Region. Since 2007, we have been using locally sourced farm ingredients in a casually elegant open kitchen dining atmosphere. Our menu changes frequently, inspired by what’s in season and reflects our commitment to utilize goods obtained from local farmers and producers. Although our approach is simple and clean, the outcome is uniquely delicious. We invite you to join us for dinner and experience the best that the season has to offer!
A TripAdvisor Member
Ithaca, NY
Reviewed June 29, 2010

I'd give my left arm to have Hazelnut in Ithaca--I'd save a ton on gas, not driving to Trumansburg. Still, the trip is worth it: everything from the $13 burger to the inventive house specials show an amazing attention to detail, a commitment to quality, and an interest in locally-sourced ingredients. The menu also doesn't neglect vegetarians, with at least one second-course offering as well as smaller plates and specials to choose from. Hazelnut is also one of those rare places that matches itself effortlessly to the diner's mood or occasion. I've been equally at home in jeans and a sweater or a nice cocktail dress and pearls, depending on the occasion. Service is responsive without being intrusive; servers are very knowledgeable about how dishes are prepared and are able to offer good advice on pairing wines--often local--with your selections. Whether you're there for just a bite or you plan to linger most of the evening, it's a great choice. Definitely call ahead for reservations, and leave your American Express card at home (they do take Visa, Mastercard & Discover, though).

Reviewed May 29, 2010

We had heard that this was an exceptional restaurant in the area so we could not wait to try it. What a downer. Everything was served cold or luke warm. The fries on one entree was so full of salt they could not be eaten. The veggies with the chicken were swimming in butter and made the whole dish unenjoyable. The short ribs were all bone and fat and had to be sent back. If you intend to be a four or five star place you have to be more concerned with the cleanliness of the floors and restroom, plates that are not chipped, etc. The only good thing was the lovely waitress who was so concerned about the bad food.

2  Thank anonymousm
Reviewed May 17, 2010

We just enjoyed a wonderful dinner at Hazelnut Kitchen. They have a creative, thoughtful, menu which includes fresh local incredients. Their vegetarian special, in particular, was wonderful as was their steak frite--fries were nice and crispy. Service is very attentive and prices are reasonable for the quality. It's located in a storefront in the funky town of Trumansburg. Definitely worth the ride!

Reviewed March 22, 2010

I saw an ad in Edible Finger Lakes when in Ithaca for business so thought I'd check it out. It's easy to miss - just a tiny storefront as part of a row of businesses on the 2-block "main drag" of town. Even when I pulled up, it looked closed at 5:30 PM on Sunday. Although they asked me if I had reservations (which I did not), the very nice hostess found me a table for 1 -- I was lucky -- folks coming in w/o reservations 10 minutes after me were turned away as the place was filling up with those who had reservations.The local greens salad w/apples, walnuts, gorgonzola very good. It was hard to choose the entree, because the special macaroni & cheese(s) and mushroom pie which I saw some of the other patrons getting looked wonderful. Chose the salmon w/ multigrain pilaf: SUPERB. It was grilled beautifully, and presented nicely on the pilaf & greens. The grainbread and herbed butter was good as well. The ambiance is interesting for an old store- some exposed brick, some wood , industrial-type sconces mixed with 60's pendant lights, wooden chairs & booths but tables had white tablecloths-- and the grill space is somewhat open to view, but the service was exceptional - even the chef/owner comes out to make sure everyone's happy. I surprised at the number of young children because this is not an inexpensive place, but no one was too rambunctious. Pretty much an "artsy" clientele at this visit. Would definitely dine here again!

Reviewed November 25, 2009

We were there this past saturday (21st November, 2009). We had a reservation, so our table was ready when we arrived, for 5.30pm. The waiting staff were nice.
starters and sides:
The water-cress salad was good, but the gnocchi was soaking in butter and salt......
the main course:
was disappointing: my husband, a vegetarian ordered the onion tart (the only other veg. option was mushrooms in a phyllo, which the other person had and wasn't too impressed either!!) the onions in the tart were soaking in oil (I sampled it too), and the dish was super-salty!! I ordered the trout, the portion was good for this one, but salty again. Another friend (we went as a group of five) had the angus steak, salty again!! the last one of us, had mussels - some of them so small that they shouldn't have even been there - when asked how her dish was, she said, just okay!
desserts: the flourless chocolate cake with the triple espresso was really nice! the other two desserts were average - the apple pie was even stale.
I did post all of this on the hazelnut kitchen website interface window which pops up when you want to sign in their guest book, but it has not made it to their guestbook, because it is not all positive. In their guestbook, only positive reviews have room, you'll realize it when you go up their website........the not so positive comments are filtered out and never make it to the guestbook!
all in all, just an average place, could be better, some of us were hungry even after we ate, some portions were tiny .
Cost: expensive, we paid $40 each without wine and tips!

2  Thank agastyaSyracuse