“Quick bite was a surprising delight!”
Review of Francesca's - CLOSED

Francesca's
Niskayuna, New York
“Quick bite was a surprising delight!”
Reviewed May 5, 2014

I went to Troy thinking I would try the Ilium cafe, but saw Francesca's on the way and found it appealing, so I tried it, as my aim was only to have a nice cup of coffee.

Something about Francesca's is very welcoming. It's a humble place, with a few tables and a nice narrow high table with stools. I walked in a bit after 10:30am, was greeted and offered a menu at the counter. I hadn't planned on eating, but it smelled very good in there and I noted they were still serving breakfast.

I had a breakfast wrap with egg, my choice of cheese (provolone), onions, tomatoes and maybe something else, on my choice of wrap (sun-dried tomato). A 16-oz coffee came with the wrap, which I helped myself to at the coffee station. The brew was fresh and milks and sugars were available. I didn't want to claim one of the few tables for myself, so I grabbed a free weekly (Metro) and sat in a corner of the high table, which is a nice place for solo diners to share.

I enjoyed watching people come and go, lots of greetings and first names exchanged, lots of people grabbing coffees and goodies to take away. A friendly woman brought me my wrap, which was a square cut into two diagonals. It must have been just made, as it was lovely warm with the cheese all melted. It was a terrific savory bite, seasoned just right, with simple but fresh wholesome ingredients.

I love the neighborhood feel of the place. It's very near the historic "antique district" in Troy, an area I wouldn't mind living in, especially if I could become one of the happy regulars at Francesca's.

I can't wait to go back and try the rest of the menu.

• Visited May 2014

Eastern PA
“A great little place”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We had lunch at Francesca's on the way to a weekend in Vermont. What a find! The staff was so friendly and accommodating. The food was really good. I had a grilled cheese with bacon and tomato on marble rye that was delicious. The three other people who were with me also loved their lunches. It was worth going a little out of our way to eat here and I definitely recommend it.

• Visited October 2013
Albany, NY
“Nice deli in Troy”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Grabbed lunch at Francesca's today.

Parking is on the street which is a Pay Park area. Credit card and coins are taken at the kiosk. Be sure to put the ticket on your dashboard to avoid a ticket.

Accessibility: there are no stairs going into the restaurant. The space is somewhat tight so it may be difficult for someone with a large walker or a power chair to navigate.

Menu: This is strictly a breakfast and lunch spot (open M-F 7:30AM to 4:30 PM).The breakfast menu features various bagels with assorted toppings (butter, PB, Cream cheese, tomatoes) croissants, muffins, ciabatta with the afore mentioned toppings, hot oatmeal, various breakfast sandwicjes and two breakfast wraps. There is a large assortment of coffees that are listed on the blackboard behind he counter. The lunch menu features 5 salads, 6 gourmet sandwiches, all the usual types of deli sandwiches, and an array of grilled sandwiches, as well as soup of the day. Prices range from $1.35 to $6.95 fir breakfast with the average around $3, and lunch menu prices range from $4.25 to $9.95 with the average around $6. If you friend them on Facebook you will get a posting about what the soup and the daily specials are each day.

I ordered the Murano (the daily special: a grilled sandwich with salami, ham, provolone, roasted red peppers, red onion, tomatoes and field green) and the Julius Ceasar sandwich (also available as a wrap) that consisted of chicken, field greens, roasted red peppers, smoked mozzarella, red onions and Caesar dressing on a roll. Sandwiches are served with a bag of chips and a pickle. Be forewarned that the sandwiches are HUGE! Both my better half and I could only finish half of our respective sandwich. There was a good half pound of grilled chicken on the Caesar Sandwich. It was so large I had to half it and eat it as open faced sandwich because I could not get it in my mouth. While hubby managed to eat his as a sandwich, it was a stretch, with a huge mound of salami and ham on nicely grilled bread. The ingredients are very fresh, and the sandwiches are made fresh to order.

The staff is very friendly, and the owner Francesca chats with customers while waiting for their sandwiches to grill. It is obvious that there are many regulars, as the staff cheerfully greeted each by name as they came in, and they knew the "regular" order for a number of them.

Seating is limited and in nice weather there are tables outside to accommodate more guests.

If you are in Troy during the week, and are looking for a ridiculously large, yummy sandwich or salad, you definitely need to give Francesca's a try.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Mrs-K-albany
Troy, New York
“Good service, friendly staff and good value”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Fran's is a local business persons go to lunch spot. Fran makes all orders herself except the soup which her mother assists with, clam chowder on Fridays is a must! Fran goes out of her way to address you by name and chat you up for a moment while she prepares your lunch order. reasonable prices, best bet to call ahead if you can.

Visited June 2013
Troy, New York
“Another great Troy spot”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Francesca's is awsum! Great food and soup at a great price. It really doesn't get better than this. And the help is a happy helpful bunch!

• Visited February 2013