“Gotta try it - nothing fancy, but so good and fresh”
Review of Famous Lunch

Famous Lunch
Ranked #79 of 211 Restaurants in Troy
Reviewed March 26, 2014

I've lived in the area my entire life and have heard so much about Famous Lunch, but never had the opporturnity to stop in.

The place looks like an old school diner from the outside. And inside isnt much different. Old worlde charm. Dim lights, the smell of old school fry tops and the counter stacked with regular patrons is your view as you walk into Famous.

The guys working there are very nice and could tell I hadnt been there before. The cook offered up the special of the day - four loaded with a fountain drink. Ok! Sounds good to me. They even have old school RC cola.

So I get my plate of four tiny dogs dancing in beautiful meat sauce, onions and mustard along with my fountain drink and sat down at a booth. It was love at first bite. The Helmbold's hotdogs were grilled to perfection with that tiny crunch of casing. Rolls were steamed and warm.

I've been missing out on this my whole life! I will be back - probably more than I should.

The locals chatting up at the counter kept me entertained during my lunch our in downtown Troy. It's nothing fancy - arrive with no expectations other than a great hot dog. I've also heard their burgers are very good, but havent tried them yet.

I've given them 4 stars for atmosphere - well not because its fancy - quite the opposite. I enjoyed the old school, no frills, been there since the 40's feel!

1  Thank BellaGinger
There are newer reviews for Famous Lunch

Reviewed July 25, 2013

We saw Famous Lunch Place in Troy, NY listed in the Metroland Paper and thought we'd give it a try. And oh are we glad we did. It's a small place in downtown Troy and just a little Diner but it is oh so good. Of course we tried the hot dogs ( they're tiny maybe 3 inches ) with their famous sauce and my wife got one with the works. I gotta say they were excellent and we'll be back for sure.
Oh and they're cheap so order lots

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Grew up in Troy/Wynantskill and always went to Charlie's Hot Dogs that was next door to the Famous Lunch. Since Charlie's is no longer there, when I come home to Troy my Brother, his family and I always go to the Famous for a "Hot Dog Fix". Next time your in Troy give the Famous Lunch a try!

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Everything in this place is older than dirt, but it's awesome. The food is so, so delicious and not expensive at all. Lunch for two is $20, give or take. And take home the sauce. It's great on everything!

Reviewed November 4, 2012

As a kid, I used to go here with my grandmother. I introduced my husband to Famous Lunch this past summer; he agrees that it's the best hot dog joint in the Capital District.

If you're looking for fancy decor, this is not your place. It hasn't changed at all since I was a kid decades ago, probably longer than that. However, I was delighted when we went there this past week and found the restaurant to be full to capacity with obviously happy patrons. I'm rating the atmosphere as excellent because of the interaction between the staff and customers. You can tell they know and really like one another, and it's just FUN.

The hot dogs here are 81 cents vs 65 cents at Gus's. Both establishments use Helmbold hot dogs, which those of us in the Capital District know to be the best you can buy. The big difference here is that Famous Lunch serves the hot dogs HOT in a perfectly steamed roll. The meat sauce is very tasty, with just a bit of zip in it. The hot dogs were actually juicy, which is something that can't be said for Gus's. Well worth the extra 16 cents per dog! 10 dogs with everything, a soda and a bottled water was pennies north of $10. My husband has had the sausage sandwich in the past and really enjoyed that, too.