“Hot Dog Fix”
Review of Famous Lunch

Famous Lunch
Ranked #89 of 212 Restaurants in Troy
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Grew up in Troy/Wynantskill and always went to Charlie's Hot Dogs that was next door to the Famous Lunch. Since Charlie's is no longer there, when I come home to Troy my Brother, his family and I always go to the Famous for a "Hot Dog Fix". Next time your in Troy give the Famous Lunch a try!

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Everything in this place is older than dirt, but it's awesome. The food is so, so delicious and not expensive at all. Lunch for two is $20, give or take. And take home the sauce. It's great on everything!

Reviewed November 4, 2012

As a kid, I used to go here with my grandmother. I introduced my husband to Famous Lunch this past summer; he agrees that it's the best hot dog joint in the Capital District.

If you're looking for fancy decor, this is not your place. It hasn't changed at all since I was a kid decades ago, probably longer than that. However, I was delighted when we went there this past week and found the restaurant to be full to capacity with obviously happy patrons. I'm rating the atmosphere as excellent because of the interaction between the staff and customers. You can tell they know and really like one another, and it's just FUN.

The hot dogs here are 81 cents vs 65 cents at Gus's. Both establishments use Helmbold hot dogs, which those of us in the Capital District know to be the best you can buy. The big difference here is that Famous Lunch serves the hot dogs HOT in a perfectly steamed roll. The meat sauce is very tasty, with just a bit of zip in it. The hot dogs were actually juicy, which is something that can't be said for Gus's. Well worth the extra 16 cents per dog! 10 dogs with everything, a soda and a bottled water was pennies north of $10. My husband has had the sausage sandwich in the past and really enjoyed that, too.

Reviewed August 2, 2012

The place has been around sine the '30s and has a great old school feel. The mini chili dogs are a Troy classic and should not be missed. I've heard the place called "The Hairy Arm" since the owner used to line mini-dogs up his hairy forearm and ladle fixings incl. chili (zippy sauce) on them. (They don't do that anymore...Health codes and all that..)

Anyway, for the mini-dogs and the neighborhood atmosphere - the place is a win.

1  Thank DonBong
Reviewed July 20, 2012

I don't live in the area any longer; been away for a number of years. Now I bring my nearly adult children along for visits and try to give them a peek at the things the Old Man waxes about when I torture them with the "Back in My Day" stories.

My Dad grew up outside Troy and he used to bring me to Downtown Troy for the old challenge when he was a kid, whether Famous Lunch or Hot Dog Charlies were better. Dad was a Famous Lunch guy, I was for the other guys.

My old Hot Dog Charlies got big as I grew up, but the recent visits they seemed to adjust the old formula or something. I looked on the internet and saw Famous Lunch was still there. I had to go on the last visit.

To my eye, it looked exactly the same as it did in my day. The only thing that was different is that they put the hot dogs together on a plate instead of up along a sweaty old man's arm. The hot dogs tasted like they did many years ago.

Dad, I'm a Famous Lunch guy now.

Been to Famous Lunch? Share your experiences!