“Previously Not A Mexican Food Fan, But LOVE Pancho's - Converted Me”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Pancho's Authentic Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #92 of 212 Restaurants in Troy
Reviewed December 15, 2013

I have had some very bad experiences with Mexican food over the years and for that reason, I have tended to stay away from Mexican food establishments at all costs. We rented an apartment for a year across the street and by the 3rd time my wife suggested we try Pancho's, I gave in and said, "Ooohhh, OOOKaaayyy, I'll give it a try" (reluctantly).

I ordered something more traditional the first time (like the Steak fajitas) and it was absolutely amazing - great! I said to myself "I can't believe I waited so long to try Mexican again" after such a great meal. The bartender (woman) was excellent and was there for our every need (each time we ate there). Other times I ate there, the experience was also very positive. The service, food and atmosphere at Pancho's converted from Mexican food avoider to very open to trying it on a regular basis.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

We have visited RPI 5 times in the last year, we have been hard pressed to find a good meal in Troy. This last trip we finally found a gem of a restaurant in Pancho's. The restuarant is on Hoosick, headiing north out of town, in one of the strip malls. We arrived at 9:30. The place closed at 10 and was fairly empty. We were a bit reluctant because an empty restaurant is usually a red flag. We asked about dinner and we were assured we could enjoy a leisurely dinner. And we did. And it was delicious. The margarita was perfect you could tell it was made with juice not syrup. The table chips and salsa were plentiful and the salsa had just enough kick. I enjoyed a delicious tortillo soup with a flavorful broth, chunks of avocado, and lots of pulled chicken. I also had a well make chicken quesadilla. The others both tried combination platters and reported that everything tasted fresh and flavorful. The portions were very large and a challenge to finish, which typically is not an issue for us. We asked for a suggestion for a light dessert and the bananna buritto fit the bill. It was a great end to the meal. Our waiter was efficient and friendly, answering our questions about the area while we ate our meal. The atmosphere is typical strip mall rectangle, but an effort has been made to infuse a sense of Mexico, with mural walls and festive lighting. This is not a glitzy place and it is not a dump. It is a basic restaurant dining room with friendly staff serving great food at a fair price. What more can you ask from a restaurant.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Tucked away in a strip mall off route 7, Pancho's is waiting to serve you. Excellent fish tacos, decent selection of house margaritas, and a friendly staff. Outdoor seating in warmer weather. Don't miss out.

1  Thank PHILRidgefield_CT