“Old School Neighborhood Tavern”
Review of South End Tavern - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
South End Tavern
Cuisines: American
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We discovered The South End Tavern back when my wife was going to school in Troy. The food back then was excellent, the place had that funky old tavern vibe then which still continues. Our daughter now goes to the same school on the hill in Troy and we visited her last week and decided to give the old tavern a shot (we abhor all things chain). It was mid afternoon on a cold February weekday when we arrived,t he place was all but empty. Time has been less than kind to Troy in general, and the South End Tavern building was no exception. Inside and out some paint would be welcome.
That said, the welcome we received was genuine and warm, our server was very very friendly and knowledgeable. The menu was extensive. It was lunch and we had Reuben, which was perfect, a Turkey sandwich which had real roasted turkey, not processed factory turkey and buffalo chicken salad. All in all it was a very nice lunch But don't expect fancy micro brew beers. My request for an IPA was met with a quizzical look. We had a couple of Rolling Rocks.

The thing about places like this is that they're vanishing. The chain joints displacing them are utterly without soul. So if you;re in troy give it a shot. The place is showing its age, but the food is great, the service is as friendly as it gets, and the prices are very reasonable.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

The South End Tavern (aka Burkee's) must be listed as a historical site of Troy! It was the only 'dining out' experience I had as a kid when the dinners were under a dollar (I'm not THAT old either!) and women had to enter through the 'Ladies Entrance'!. I still enjoy visiting for the memories and the good food. You can't beat the corned beef and cabbage special on Thursday nights (but be prepared to wait if it's St. Patrick's Day!) and the seafood specials on Wednesdays and Fridays. It's a feat to get your mouth around their sandwiches and the burgers real hamburger! Glamorous it's not (the booths and tables haven't changed in 50 years!), but the atmosphere of an old-time neighborhood grill is charming and fun.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

I love this place - hasn't changed a bit in years. Great food, excellent sized portions, AWESOME service. I bring my family with young kids there. They love seeing the old ladies entrance sign and the old buzzer buttons on the wall. If you go, take some time to read about the history of the restaurant.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

I looked for this establishment during the day, so we'd know exactly where we were going. Didn't look like too much from the outside and thought the address was wrong. We decided to go anyway, and I'M GLAD WE DID. Oh my goodness, the food was so good. I had baby back ribs, which were ok. My friend, who is a burger connoisseur, ordered one of their colossal burgers. It must have been made with a whole pound of beef and was loaded up with I don't know what. He ate the whole burger, savoring every bite and attacked half of my ribs.

Upon reading the history of the establishment, I appreciated the ambience even, more. The waiter was down to earth and cordial.

Seems like it caters to the older generation >50, but I did see some in the >25 age range.

The only disappointment was, the old jukebox wasn't plugged in.

Reviewed May 10, 2012

"Burkees" as it is known to the locals is a classic tavern that serves classic tavern favorites like fried haddock, roast beef and great burgers, too. On St. Patrick's Day the take-out line for corned beef and cabbage is out the door and around the corner--yes I am serious! This is a well loved dining spot. Great haddock, I highly recommend it!