“An Experience You Shouldn't Miss”
Review of South End Tavern - CLOSED

Cuisines: American, Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Good for: Bar scene
Albany, New York
“An Experience You Shouldn't Miss”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

The South End Tavern (aka Burkee's) must be listed as a historical site of Troy! It was the only 'dining out' experience I had as a kid when the dinners were under a dollar (I'm not THAT old either!) and women had to enter through the 'Ladies Entrance'!. I still enjoy visiting for the memories and the good food. You can't beat the corned beef and cabbage special on Thursday nights (but be prepared to wait if it's St. Patrick's Day!) and the seafood specials on Wednesdays and Fridays. It's a feat to get your mouth around their sandwiches and the burgers real hamburger! Glamorous it's not (the booths and tables haven't changed in 50 years!), but the atmosphere of an old-time neighborhood grill is charming and fun.

• Visited October 2012

Albany, NY
“A Capital Region Classis!”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I love this place - hasn't changed a bit in years. Great food, excellent sized portions, AWESOME service. I bring my family with young kids there. They love seeing the old ladies entrance sign and the old buzzer buttons on the wall. If you go, take some time to read about the history of the restaurant.

• Visited January 2013
Watervliet, New York
“Move over Red Robin”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I looked for this establishment during the day, so we'd know exactly where we were going. Didn't look like too much from the outside and thought the address was wrong. We decided to go anyway, and I'M GLAD WE DID. Oh my goodness, the food was so good. I had baby back ribs, which were ok. My friend, who is a burger connoisseur, ordered one of their colossal burgers. It must have been made with a whole pound of beef and was loaded up with I don't know what. He ate the whole burger, savoring every bite and attacked half of my ribs.

Upon reading the history of the establishment, I appreciated the ambience even, more. The waiter was down to earth and cordial.

Seems like it caters to the older generation >50, but I did see some in the >25 age range.

The only disappointment was, the old jukebox wasn't plugged in.

• Visited October 2012
Cohoes, NY
“A Troy Landmark”
Reviewed May 10, 2012

"Burkees" as it is known to the locals is a classic tavern that serves classic tavern favorites like fried haddock, roast beef and great burgers, too. On St. Patrick's Day the take-out line for corned beef and cabbage is out the door and around the corner--yes I am serious! This is a well loved dining spot. Great haddock, I highly recommend it!

Visited March 2012
Raleigh, North Carolina
“The highlight of our trip”
Reviewed May 25, 2009

My brother lives in the area and heard of a restaurant with a strange sign. That's about all we knew. We stopped and asked someone if he knew the restaurant with the weird sign and he knew just what we were talking about. When you walk in you are going back in time by about 60 years. Nothing has changed. Our waiter was excellent. The food was great (reminds me of diner food as it was 40 years ago). Real burgers, excellent fries and onion rings (best I've tasted). My brother had "The Pilgrim." Let's just say it was Thanksgiving between two pieces of bread. Lots of turkey, stuffing and cranberry sauce. It was amazing. I had a veggie Rueben which was great. This is a very relaxed place with lots of atmosphere. We liked it so much we went back a second time. Next time we return to Troy we're heading back here. Waiter....we don't know your name but you are great. Thanks for adding to the experience.

1 Thank cindyandted