“Great Find and the Price is right”

Shalimar Restaurant
Ranked #73 of 209 Restaurants in Troy
Cuisines: Indian
NYC
“Great Find and the Price is right”
Reviewed November 14, 2009

We were visiting my son at Rensellaer College and in the area for several days. We were happy to come upon this restaurant. This place is a gem. A nice change, as most of the restaurants can be pricey in this area. There is very little to the decor, but it is comfortable. The service was fine. We were there on a Friday Night and had no trouble being seated. It's sort of a seat yourself kind of place. The menu was good with a variety of appetizers, vegetarian, meat and desserts choices with very effordable prices.. We ordered a couple of currys and a chicken tandoori. The food was good, fresh tasting and Hot, the chicken was sizzling when brought to the table. I was told by our hotel that their lunch and Saturday Brunch buffetts are very good and only $6.99. This place is great.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Good food, good flavors...”
Reviewed July 27, 2008

Good food, good flavors, variety, nice service.

“Best Indian in Troy!”
Reviewed February 7, 2008

Best Indian in Troy!

Orange County, California
“Adequate”
Reviewed December 17, 2007

Shalimar has a cheap daily lunch buffet, but I haven't made it to the buffet yet. I've had two sit-down meals here, both in the late afternoon when, each time, there was only one other couple in the restaurant.

Shalimar is completely uninspired. The decor is bland, at best. The service squeaks into the "passable" range, but not by a lot. Both times we've gone there, we've heard the guys back in the kitchen shouting loudly to each other. On our first visit, the "host" was on the phone loudly discussing his plans to get KFC for dinner. The second time, the "hostess" was wearing an oversized t-shirt, sweatpants, and flip-flops. She also deemed it appropriate to vacuum a few feet away from us while we ate our appetizers, and to stand and hover at the table while I signed the credit card receipt.

The food is adequate. I wouldn't really call it GOOD Indian food, but it's certainly edible, and I've definitely had worse. The prices and portions are reasonable.

I would definitely suggest coming for the buffet if you're thinking about eating here. Like I said, I haven't done that yet, but I'm assuming the food is of equal quality, and therefore the significantly lower price will make the whole experience a more palatable value.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“I had quite a few good meals here.”
Reviewed December 2, 2007

I had quite a few good meals here.