“Dependably good”

Cuisines: Indian
Troy New York
“Dependably good”
Reviewed July 4, 2012

I've eaten at the Shalimar in Troy a number of times and have found the food consistently good. The lunch buffet is popular, and I used to go a lot. For about the cost of an entree, you can have unlimited plates of 6-7 dishes, plus salad, nan, relishes and dessert. Frankly, I stopped going because I no longer eat so much, and found it hard not to stuff myself every visit.

They are open for dinner too, and many artists go there after a visit to the Fulton Street Gallery across the street.

I usually run into the owner, a nice fellow who must never sleep. He's invariably friendly, concerned about the quality and cleanliness. Every time I eat there I'm thankful they moved to Troy. I'm not sure the relationship, but I believe Shalimar Albany is in the family.

Service is consistently good. The bathroom is funky, you go downstairs and through the basement to a raised, thronelike room. Small price to pay for a great meal.

• Visited February 2012

Troy, New York, United States
“Very good food and great service”
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Shalimar's is a small restaurant and is packed at lunch for their buffet. With so many people, I was afraid I'd be lost in the shuffle, but I was thrilled to receive attentive, personal service.

The buffet only has about 6 - 8 offerings but they are all very tasty. The Naan is constantly refilled and hot and fresh. Ingredients are tasty and seem to be of good quality and well cooked.

I had visited a different Indian/Pakistani restaurant a few months prior and was overwhelmed by the heavy smell of incense. Not so at Shalimar - the restaurant is simply awash with the comforting smells of Indian cooking.

My most recent visit was for the buffet but I have also eaten from the dinner menu and had food delivered as part of a group at my office for lunch. I've always had a great experience.

The only negative about Shalimar is the location. They are on a street with another little restaurant and parking can be tough as it is all on-street. Parallel parking is necessary. Still, I've always been able to find a place to park within a block or two at most.

• Visited April 2012
Watervliet, NY
“Imagine an entire country smelling like this”
Reviewed March 19, 2012

I like this place....a lot. So much that when given the choise a few years ago for my 5 year aniversary luncheon that my job would picking up the tab for.....out of any restaurant in the Capital District in any price range....I picked Shalimar. Why? Cuz I LIKE it. And when my manager (who had lived in India for a while) walked in, he smiled and said, "you know, the whole country smells like this." Which is why I went again on Sunday, as I'd been doing most weekends lately, and reveled in buffet. If you are looking for fancy, go else where. It's a down to earth hole in the wall where you and every RPI and Russell Sage kid comes to feed ones face on tandoori, nan and goat curry.

• Visited March 2012
Albany, New York
“Great food, great prices”
Reviewed March 6, 2012

This is a tiny place on Fulton Street in Troy - street parking was readily available on a Sunday night when we went. Tried the Rogan Josh - lamb was cooked to perfection. Basmati rice side was ample. Also had the baingan bhartha - eggplant and peas cooked in a tomato-based sauce - excellent! The mango lassi was also good. Onion naan and garlic naan was hot from the oven and fresh. Service was excellent - very attentive but not hovering. I want to go back and try the buffet at some point. Menu is extensive and serves vegetarian options also. Prices were also good for the amount served. I will definitely be going back!

• Visited March 2012
Dutchess County NY USA
“Evocative location in old neighborhood, serviceable food, curt service”
Reviewed December 8, 2011

Not thrilling though I liked the old buildings in the neighborhood. Food was uninspiring though decent. Service was minimal and unsmiling. Door was propped open for 20 minutes on a cold evening so they could bring in deliveries.

• Visited December 2011

Been to Shalimar Restaurant? Share your experiences!