“Ok, but nothing to rave about...”

Hungry Fish Cafe and Country Store
Cuisines: American
West Sand Lake, New York, United States
“Ok, but nothing to rave about...”
Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

Stopped for lunch last weekend based on a friend's suggestion. Nice menu choices, but felt the food was just average. My sandwich was okay after they replaced the stale roll. Other's reported their sandwiches as good. Killer home-made potato chips. Young wait staff did not appear to be very attentive to folks sitting at the tables. We were at the counter where the servers hung out, so our service was okay. Decor was rather blah.

“I wish someone would train the servers.”
Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

This place, with quaint diner-like feel and locally farmed foods could be great. However, the waitstaff has no idea how to service a table. Food took forever to appear. I mean a soup and salad to start. Had to be 25 minutes. Then the soup (an apple cider French onion) was luke warm. I would have sent back IF I could flag down the waitress, who seemed to hide in the back for most of our service. I needed more water, a coffee refill and had to go find her to ask. The she touched the rim of my mug with her fingers to make the exchange. Finally, she ended this eternal meal by sweeping and shaking out the floor mat, while I was taking my final bites, sending hair and dust into the air. Gross. This place has potential, and a trained waitstaff would help matters immensely.

“Cafe with a great concept:local foods and local farms.”
Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

Went to the cafe today with high expectations to meet a friend for lunch. I was suprised by the atmosphere- mostly small tables for 2 in a room that was lacking warmth. Was super excited to read Battenkill milk on the menu and ordered a chocolate milk. Well I was informed that they were out of the milk. Bummer. Especially since it was a saturday. So for lunch I wanted to order the Tomato basil flatbread- they were out of that as well. I was pretty ticked off that they were out of menu items and our server didn't even give us a heads up. Eventually went with the BLT with pesto mayo an it was very good. Friend had the chilli and really enjoyed it. Would I go back? Yes. Was I a bit disapointed in my experience? Yes. Hopefully next time I can get what I want lol

Clifton Park, New York
“Awful, terrible bad”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Would really like to be enthusiastic about something at this sad little place, but cannot come up with a virtue. Oh wait, companion reports good coffee, although the waitress had to go look to see what brand it was.

But let's start at the top - arrived late morning on a recent Saturday. Two tables occupied, small place with odd decor, no employees in sight. We seated ourselves and waited a good ten minutes before a mildly apologetic waitress arrived. During our wait, we noticed that one table of three was finished and obviously waiting for a check; the other table (a single) was finished as well, but had a full plate of food in front of him. Undaunted, we placed our order. The waitress was back in a few to inform that they were out of orange juice. On a Saturday? Of a holiday weekend? When they were open all three days?? Starting to get daunted now...........and the other two tables were still waiting for their checks.

Food arrived fairly quickly. My companion ordered the corned beef hash plate, got a huge pile of mushy potatoes with very little meat (but a lot of red pepper), two eggs atop and toast but no jam or jelly. I had asked for the Morning Fried rice which sounded deliciously different.

It was.

The mountain of fried rice was dry, no evidence anywhere of the promised soy/ginger marinade that had sounded so good. The miniscule amount of sausage was even drier, hard nasty little pieces of something that was meat once. Maybe. Again, large quantities of red pepper, few onions and then there were the two sunny side eggs that rode above all this. Now, mind you, I've watched way too many cooking shows and I had visions of golden yolk flowly gently down the side of the rice; alas, these two very small eggs were cooked......well, let's just say a long, long time before they were served to me. A very long time.

But the other two tables finally got away.

Needless to say, we didn't eat much of our meal. Our waitress was again mildly apologetic that we hadn't enjoyed the food, but in spite of that and the long wait and the missing OJ, charged us full price and took forever to cash us out, as had her coworker for the other two tables. The only bright spot in an otherwise dismal experience was her reasonably good-natured attitude that finally emerged.

Have written a few reviews of a few things in my day. Have often left out picky little negatives to support any good effort. This place has a great-sounding menu and has recently moved to its current location so it may be that kinks have to be worked out; but I gotta tell you, it was one really bad meal.

Except for the coffee. But don't ask for OJ...............

Visited September 2012