“One major issue with this hotel”

Hilton Garden Inn Troy
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Troy
“One major issue with this hotel”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Stayed at this hotel at the beginning of August. Room looked nice and was clean including bed linen was fresh& clean. Staff were friendly & helpful.

The issues? The most significant was heavy & loud truck traffic. As the street in front of the hotel is a major truck route (and I do mean street, not highway, so close to the hotel), sleeping was difficult even for someone known to sleep thru ringing door bells, phones next to the bed, and even fire alarms.

After going out for dinner, we also had problems with parking on our return due to an event at the Sports Bar in the hotel. I understand this happens on other occasions. We had to park in a poorly lit area at side of hotel until parking spots opened around 11:00 pm

If you do need to stay in this hotel, ask for a room on the parking lot side and at west end of the building (opposite end from sports bar). It should be quieter.

Room Tip: ask for a room on the parking lot side and at west end of the building (opposite end from sports bar...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Giopotteri

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Reviewed August 15, 2012

As a frequent traveller I find it hard to find a hotel with the right stuff. Hilton garden inns are always spot on. The ac works with a thermostat the snooze bed is fantastic the rooms are quiet the staff are great the attached restaurant was wonderful I went to sleep last night and woke up in the same position this morning 8 straight and I fell great I just wish there were more Hilton garden inns where I travel

• Stayed August 2012
Westchester County, New York
Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

I was in Troe for two nights on business. Imgotma great rate, better than any other comparable hotels and with latebarrival the staff was incredibly helpful and friendly. the hotel was clean and had everything any traveler could need without leaving.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We were in Troy, NY for a family event. We called ahead for a shuttle to pick us up from the airport and we were happy to see a black escalade pull up. It's free of charge (we did tip the driver). Pros: Great Staff (Nicole was super helpful!), property was clean and looked well maintained. We used the gym (small but worked), the pool (indoors), and the buffet (really good and very affordable $6-$11), needed extra towels and a cot which were easy to get. When we return to Troy, we will stay here again.

Room Tip: Lower floor is better given the slow elevator and there is no view to see at the higher floors. Stai...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ohiocouple
Rye Brook, New York
Reviewed August 4, 2012

When I first checked into the Hilton Garden Inn Troy I thought that I would be staying in a clean, well kept, decent establishment for a night's sleep. The hotel seemed pretty new looking online, being opened in 2009, it usually signals a cleaner hotel. Yet, my expectations were completely off.
The person at the front desk was nice, cordial, and prompt to check me into my room. She welcomed me to the hotel, gave me instructions on how to connect to the internet, and told me about some of the security features installed since Troy is not the safest city in New York.
Upon entering my room I opened my door and I noticed that the wall shook, and made a noise similar to two balloons rubbing against each other. I never knew that a laminate and a thin piece of plastic was an acceptable division between a room and a stairwell. This first impression should have foreshadowed my quality of sleep for the upcoming night. As I proceeded to inspect my suite I went into the kitchenette area and noticed some mold growing on the floor near the mini fridge, officially grossing me out. Along with the paper clip sticking up from the carpet, the garbage found in a drawer in the kitchenette, and the additional mold growing on the floor in the bathroom made me loose all faith in housekeeping at this establishment.
The bedding on the main bed was perfectly suitable, clean and fresh smelling, however the pathetic excuse of a cot that the hotel provided for my son was of the cheapest quality I have ever seen. He told me that the book that he was reading at the time (Fast Food Nation) was thicker than the mattress on the cot (he actually compared), and the sheets had to be 90% polyester and 10% cotton (a thread count of 150 would be generous).
The restaurant downstairs is actually okay with decent bar food and lots of flat panel tvs (think buffalo wild wings), and I'm sure plays a very important social role for the students at RPI (the hotel is across the street from the college). The breakfast served in the morning seemed adequate for the hotel (at $12 per person, one cannot expect much), and the convenience store had more than enough for a small hotel. The person at the front desk was even offered to put the purchases on my room, making it far more convenient for me.
Sleeping at this establishment was a bit difficult, since the hotel is right on route 7, it remains very noisy at night with trucks and motorcycles buzzing down the road constantly. Additionally, with the floors being as thin as the walls, I heard the music blasting from the ballroom downstairs, keeping me up until 1 AM when the function finally ceased.
Along with a thermostat that shuts off after a half hour of not being in the room, making it a nice 78 degrees when one enters after an extended period of time, local channels that are pixelated, and a small pool that has so much chlorine in it that it emits anunbreathable odor, someone would have to pay ME to stay in this establishment again.
I would much rather drive from Albany, stay at the Marriott, and do my business in Troy, than stay in this hotel ever again. At best, this hotel is on par with a cheap best western or a nice motel 6, but for the price I paid, there must be better lodging options in the Albany metro area that are considered "clean" and far less stingy.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank money7521
Hoosick Falls, New York, United States
Reviewed July 18, 2012

We had our wedding reception here and stayed in an amazing suite. The staff are great and the place is new... it's a beautiful space! The Recovery Sports Bar is fantastic too.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Leslie R
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed July 14, 2012

We stayed here for a wedding. The hotel is pleasant and the rooms are okay. There are only two elevators serving the seven floors of the hotel, and they are used by the cleaning staff as well. The waits for the elevators could be long. The breakfast buffet was not overwelming, but still acceptable. The swmming pool is indoors, small and faces the main door. The gym is tiny. The lobby bar in pleasant, and the sports bar in the complex is large and looks fun.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank robertli1234
Also consider these accommodations in or near Troy
Best Western Plus Franklin Square Inn Troy/Albany
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Latham
Staybridge Suites Albany Wolf Rd-Colonie Center
The Century House, an Ascend Collection Hotel
La Quinta Inn & Suites Latham Albany Airport
Homewood Suites by Hilton Albany

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Troy? Share your experiences!