“Like Staying At A Friend's House”
Review of Olde Judge Mansion

Olde Judge Mansion
Ranked #2 of 2 Troy B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 1, 2011

I traveled to Troy to attend my younger brother's graduation. Since my husband couldn't come with me, I wanted to be able to stay in a place that felt like a friend's house - but I don't know anyone well enough in that part of the country to stay with them. When I found out about the Olde Judge Mansion, I thought for sure it was too good to be true. But I booked a room anyway, and I am so glad that I did! The owner, Tina, is very friendly. The Mansion itself is gorgeous. My room (the Dunphy Room) was cozy and quiet. Even though the Dunphy Room is advertised as sharing a bathroom with another room, it actually shares two bathrooms - one with a toilet and a shower/tub-jacuzzi, the other with just a toilet. By the time I left, I definitely felt like I had been staying at a friend's house - a very generous friend with a big, beautiful old house! For the price, too, it was more than worth it.

I do want to say that I've seen a few reviews that talk about the area around the Mansion being less-than-ideal, but I did not find this to be the case. There are a lot of old Victorian houses in this area of Troy, most of which seem to be divided up and rented out. But I saw a lot of people sitting out on their front steps, talking to friends and passers-by, when I was there, and a lot of kids riding their bikes down the street or walking around with their friends. The area is low-income for sure, but I even went for a walk with my digital camera while I was there, and no one bothered me at all. My grandparents even waved at and joked with a few of the people who were driving down the street making a lot of noise. So while it may seem at first glance like a bad neighborhood, it's really not.

If you're going to Troy, don't miss the Olde Judge Mansion and don't miss all of the beautiful old buildings in the neighborhood! I hope my brother gives me a good reason to go back soon, and I will definitely stay at the Mansion again next time.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Eden_Orchidelirium

Reviewed June 29, 2011

The Olde Judge Mansion (OJM) is a lovely historic home and a must for those who love the architectural detail of days gone by. The proprietors are warm and friendly ... including the feline parking lot attendant! The cats do not come into the B&B part of the building so those with allergies need not worry.

I stayed in the comfortable Carpenter Room with its ensuite bath. The bed was comfortable and everything was spotless.

The B&B has high speed internet - I was able to get online using my netbook. I truly appreciated the telephone service: you can call anywhere in the US or Canada for no charge.

I was there for poker night and the folks playing let me sit and watch ... not that I had much idea what was going on. It made me want to learn to play!

Breakfast was tasty, plentiful and efficiently served.

Tina showed me around the B&B and described its interesting architectural features, which include tin walls, gorgeous woodwork, and striking ceiling detail.

If you stay at the Old Judge Mansion you must be able to climb stairs ... from the front steps to the stairs to the bedrooms.

I'd happily stay here again! Thank you Tina, and staff.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Muffet37
Reviewed June 5, 2011

We stopped here for the night, passing through Troy on our way to pick up a child from school. The proprietress was extremely helpful, making sure we could get in, despite arriving late. There is fenced-in parking right beside the building, with a designated spot for each room. There was a tasty snack in the evening, and breakfast was very good in the morning. I would, however, wish for real maple syrup for pancakes.

We stayed in the Urzan room, which turned out to have a significant drawback - street noise. The building is on one corner of a moderately busy intersection, with a convenience store/gas station diagonally across the street. The room has a window air conditioner set up, but it lets in outside sound about as well as an open window. We were woken up at 5 am by someone in the intersection gunning the engine on his barely-muffled motorcycle. The Urzan room is right on the corner of the building at the intersection. If (or probably, when) we stay there again, I would aim for one of the rooms away from the street.

I would also note that, at least in the Urzan room, the windows shades were of the light diffusing rather than light blocking variety. Between the street noise and the light, the Urzan room is not where I would be if I want to sleep late in the summer.

The "private bathroom" isn't exactly what I expected. Yes, the room has its own bathroom, but it is down the hall, at the other end of the building. Robes come with the room, so it isn't really a problem, but you will have to ask for it if you want a room with the bathroom accessible from the bedroom.

Finally, if you sleep on your side and you want a pillow with some height, you better ask for it. Our pillows were about 1 inch thick. Peeking into other rooms that were unused, I did see more substantial pillows.

So, I have some gripes about the place, but nothing that would prevent me from going back, albeit probably in a different room.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank corkypa
Reviewed April 13, 2010

This is a true bed and breakfast, not an inn masquerading as one. The guest rooms look a lot better in person than they do in the photos, I think, and the public areas are lovely. Very clean, sheets and comforter cover changed daily. As someone else has noted, the neighborhood is not the greatest; you will want to drive rather than walk around. Would stay here again if we came back to Troy.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JP39
Reviewed March 2, 2010

I have stayed here on numerous occasions and will continue to do so, and could not be more comfortable. I love the architecture and ambiance, and would highly recommend it to anyone traveling and looking to stay in the area. Tina welcomes me as one welcomes a friend; she's the best, and her husband, Mark, is a good guy too...

• Stayed: March 2010
Reviewed November 18, 2009

My daughter was interviewing at Emma Willard and we needed an overnight place instead of driving for 3 hr before her interview. We were greeted by Tina who made us feel like we were coming home. The other reviews on this site says it all, so I wouldn't repeat all the lovely things about Olde Judge Mansion. If my daughter is accepted at this school, Tina would be seeing a lot more of me. I love this home (cannot called it a hotel) and I wish I had more time to enjoy the beautiful architecture. Thanks Tina.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank fklNY
Reviewed July 24, 2009

We were spoiled by TIna, an extraordinary owner of this one of a kind late 1800s home. The woodwork keeps you gawking, the food keeps you content (Homemade snacks and made to order full breakfast), and the warmth and genuine care you feel from the owner is not to be missed. Our teenage son was addressed as often as we were. He not only felt included he was held in high regard as a guest deserving of attention. We especially enjoyed lingering after breakfast for conversation with our hostess. Very laid back relaxed atmosphere that was at the same time elegant. Tina is a great resource for restaurants in the area she hand picks based on her personal experience as well as an historical perspective on Troy and its environs. We would not hesitate to book again.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank 29West
Also consider these accommodations in or near Troy
Best Western Plus Franklin Square Inn Troy/Albany
1 mi away
Hilton Garden Inn Troy
Hotel Indigo Albany-Latham

Been to Olde Judge Mansion? Share your experiences!