All reviews niagara falls continental breakfast room was clean rooms are small short drive stayed nights microwave
Reviewed October 18, 2012

If you're looking for an overnite/limited days stay in the Western NY area check into the Microtel Tonawanda. Rooms are on the smaller side but for the price it is a great deal! Great location off the 290 which puts you 10 mins from Niagara Falls, 10 mins from Airport, 10 mins from Dtown Buffalo! Very clean... simple but tasty... nice Cont BF! The front desk and ownership is very family and customer service oriented.

Room tip: I always request the rooms on the 130-140 corridor.. easy access to parking lot plus right down the hall to BF!
Date of stay: October 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank bobs516
Reviewed August 30, 2012

My sister and I stayed here wile visiting my aunt in North Tonawanda. We made our reservations for two nights late, so our choices were limited. As the other reviewer stated, the advertised $49.99 room was non-existent. We did receive our requested first floor room, though. These rooms are very small, but they use the space well. The room appeared clean, but when we took the covers off the bed, we found the sheets had large spaces of material that appeared very worn, to gauze-like consistency. We stayed another night and found the rooms were not cleaned in between. The garbage had not been emptied, the cups not replaced, the floor not vacuumed, the bed barely made. There were clean towels, though. We spoke to the manager, who had pleasant excuses for the oversights, but could not offer any discount. I explained that even though I understood this was not the "Ritz", if the price was the same for each night, the room should be, also. She apologized. Breakfast was fine, nothing fancy, no fruit or microwaveables, but it was fresh. Next year, I'll remember to make my reservations earlier.

Date of stay: August 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We thought it would be easy to find a reasonable hotel in the Buffalo/|Niagara Falls area for our shopping trip but we were mistaken. All the hotels, good ones and flea-bag dives were either sold out or ripping off their customers. We were pleasantly surprised when Microtel had clean rooms, excellent customer service, and a very nice continental breakfast. It also has FREE local and LONG-Distance calls to Canada!! Too bad I didn't know that until it was too late!! Price was still high for a shopping trip, but might have been bettter mid-week. Microtel only has rooms with one queen bed, and we paid $99 for it. They don't reserve so it's first come, first served. You also have to ask at the desk if you need shampoo etc. It's a no-frills hotel so don't expect Hilton accomodation!!! I'd go back.

Room tip: Close to hwy (a plus) but you could ask for a room facing away from it.
Date of stay: August 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank nannyof4cuties
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We stayed two nights in the Microtel while visiting local relatives and a few local sights. The rooms are small (what else do you expect from a hotel named micro?) but well-designed with a good use of space. The room looked clean and neat. However, when I pulled back the bedcovers, I thought there was a wet spot on the side of the bed. Nope, there were several large translucent patches on the sheet--they were worn almost through, by over-zealous bleaching I was told later. There were comparable patches on the other side of the bed. These sheets should have never re-used in the hotel!

OK, now Day 2, we return to our room after being gone all day and find that our room was not properly cleaned. Towels were replaced and the bed was half-heartedly made. Otherwise there was no evidence of cleaning--oh, wait a minute, the soap in the shower was taken but not replaced. Our trash was not removed, the room was not vacuumed, no new cups were supplied. Shouldn't we get a full cleaning even though we were "stay-overs"? We felt that since we didn't have the same services on the second day, we deserved a discounted rate. We approached the "manager" who was really only a supervisor about the shortcomings. She had lots of excuses: laundry lady who put too much bleach and ruined the sheets--"new ones are on order"--, shortcomings on the cleaning-- new housekeeper she'll have to have a talk with (why didn't she properly train her to begin with? or make sure everything was up to standards.) She gave us a lame excuse of not invading our privacy as stay-overs but doesn't the maid already do that to some extent? She said that she couldn't give us any rebate for the lack of services since we'd already claimed a discounted AAA rate. Another lame excuse!

The breakfast was a better than average "continental"--sometimes I've been given a plastic-wrapped Danish or doughnut and a cup of coffee and they've called it continental bf. I really like some yogurt and fresh fruit if there are no hot items (love those waffle machines!). But this breakfast had a variety of cold items and those that could be toasted. I had toasted bagels and cream cheese, which was OK. There was also cereal and milk, pastries, bread, biscuits (alas no sausage gravy!), and more. I would have enjoyed some varietal tea or real decaf coffee (I hate instant coffee--they had packets of Sanka).

Not that it's a fault of the hotel, but the highway is very close and noisy if you a light sleeper. Maybe you can request a room away from that side?

Date of stay: July 2012
Trip type: Traveled with friends
2  Thank nwk_berlin
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We stopped because the huge sign in the parking lot said $49 a night. When we got to the desk, the cost was actually over $100. They offered us AAA discount which brought it down slightly. We are Windham rewards members, but this hotel is not a participant. It was late and we decided to stay anyway. They gave us the last available room next to the front desk, so we could hear talking and laughing until late in the night. At 7 a.m. the security/fire alarm sounded and woke just about everyone up in the hotel. The continental breakfast was typical muffins and juice. The place was clean. I didn't notice anything gross while we were there. The bed was comforable and the staff was friendly. Girls, there's no conditioner, so bring your own. It wasn't a great hotel, but it beat sleeping in the car.

Room tip: Not near the front desk
Date of stay: July 2012