“If Carlsberg made Hotels........”
Review of Riverside Hotel

Riverside Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Branston
walsall
“If Carlsberg made Hotels........”
Reviewed January 16, 2011

What can I say about this hotel, my wife and I stopped here on 11th of January 2011 for a night and stayed in the feature bedroom. The room is comfortable and the en-suite is HUGE. Fantastic bath big enough for two and a large shower. Dragging ourselves from the room we spent the afternoon and evening in the bar and restaraunt. The barman Terry is very helpful and pleasant and Lena the waitress was smiley and chatty. The food was exceptional and served at a perfect pace for us both to enjoy a superb meal (try the deli platter mmmmmmmm). We then spent the rest of the evening in the bar and had a lovely romantic evening.

In the morning we had the honour to be waited on at breakfast by Eva....words cannot describe how truly wonderful this lady is. Imagine your mum at breakfast at home when you were a kid. Everything you could want is there almost before you ask for it. Nothing is too much trouble for her.

We would both recommend The Riverside Inn to anyone who asks...Nick has a great team working for him and they are a reflection of his own happy, accomodating and friendly persona.

Thank you all for a wonderful stay and for upholding the levels of service and attentiveness that are lacking in a lot of hotels today.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 13, 2011

Bedroom small but clean, warm and adequate. The staff were absolutely terrific especially Eva who served breakfast she was a darling and couldn't do enough for you, also Terry who was running the bar, reception and serving in restaurant nothing was too much trouble. All staff were extremely friendly and made you feel welcome. The breakfast menu was fantastic there was something for everybody and the Dinner menu was extremely good and reasonable. We would definitely stay there again. The outlook of the hotel was gorgeous with the river, so pretty. Can't recommend it highly enough.
Pat and Alan Wakeman, London

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
burnley
Reviewed December 11, 2010

stayed for one night on a fantastic promotional deal with Daily Mail for £20 per room including breakfast. Room was clean, warm and comfortable. We had dinner for 9.95 for two - incredible value. Slept peacefully, bed very comfy. Breakfast was fantastic - the choice was amazing. I had scambled eggs with salmon! the lady serving was the best waitress I have ever come across. What an amazing place. Nothing was too much trouble from start to finish.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
UK
Reviewed December 6, 2010

We stayed at The Riverside Hotel for one night on a special offer deal.Accepted the rooms are small and basic but everything was clean and we had all that we needed for a comfortable nights stay,but the rooms would definately benefit from an upgrade. We had lunch and dinner at the hotel and could not fault any of it and found it to be excellent value for money. The breakfast in particular was very good and the lady on breakfast duty could not have been more attentive and helpful. The bedroom was as warm as toast and the heating was on round the clock which given the sub zero temperatures outside was most welcome,in fact at times we were too hot! All the staff we came across were friendly and given the low price we paid we couldn't really fault this hotel at all

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2010

I stayed at this Hotel for three nights from Sunday 24th to Tuesday 27th. I paid £45 for Sunday & £70 for Monday & Tuesday.Checking in was quick & easy I was upgraded to a double room at no extra cost, Room Number 11,------ then disaster struck; the room was so small even for a double, (swings and casts ring any bells ) the shower had been left dripping (or so I thought) & the window sill was dripping wet with a soggy loo roll. I reported this to reception then went to join work friends in the bar, there was no one on the bar at the time and no one collecting glasses, I am not an alcoholic but would like to be able to purchase a drink after a long drive. On returning to my roon the loo roll had been replaced but the shower was still dripping, on investigation it seemed to have a fault on it and at this late hour decided not to pursue it, on waking i found the carpet to be soddened, went to reception and asked if I could change back to my origional room Number 4, this was agreed so I went for breakfast , I recieved a grunt as a greeting ordering the full English this duly arrived after a short while ----two pieces of burnt Bacon 1 half burnt sausage luke warn beens aried mushroom and a snotty egg, I was not asked what type I would like, I ate what i could as was by now running out of time,, at no point was i given a table check. Returning to reception to gat the other room Key to change rooms before going to my meeting, getting to my room I noticed that the Hall stairs and landing carpets were thread bare and in need of a good cleen housekeeping were on their way (thank god) my room was even smaller that the double, the bath still had Hair in it asnd the Toilet floor was gruby and this was the room which had bee prepared for my arrival on Sunday, I reported this to reception and asked for it to be looked at.-----------------Bring in thre Hotel Inspector, I had to provide my own Tea bags a sthay only do English Breakfast Tea ( No Flavoured or Herbal Teas were on offer or yu could simply have just coffee ( I drink Decaff in both) ..... Monday mornings greeting for breakfast was perfect I was greated by a lady called Iva ( pronounced Eva ) Iva was the exact opposite of Sundays greating and couldn't do enough for me, I chose Smoked Salmon and Scrambled eggs it was beautifull. I left the breakfast room to go to my meeting feeling very content.----- On returning to my room (about 7PM) I noticed that the Hall stairs and landing were still in terrible state and not been seen by a hoover my room had also not been touched, I went to reception yet again to make a complaint, I was told that house keeping would see to it in the morning, after thr disaster of breakfast I decided not to eat in the hotel and went for a Big Mac near by, on returning to my room I had to set about cleaning it, as this room is over the front door all the smokers hang arround there and the door was constantly banging and was very disturbing so didnt get a good nights sleep, this was yet another uncomfortable night. Tuesday dawned breakfast again was perfect although I was greated by another person but had the same quality of service and the same breakfast, I chose again not to eat in the hotel, overall the Hotel was in a great location (on the river) it is very tired drab and very dark and gloomy -------- staff (not enough) and no sign of a Manager the whole of my three nights stay, The fault in my first room ws not an overnight problem but an on going one ( houskeeping at fault for not reporting or manager fault for not sorting out the problem) Second room is purely down to very very bad housekeeping.!!!!!!!!!!!! ----At no point throughout my stay was there ever enough staff to accommodate the number of guests staying and the Hotel or the locals just in for a drink.-------I did speak with the Manager when I came to check out, he said he was sorry and would be holding a staff meeting that day. --- He did try to make ammends by reducing my bill slightly. Would I stay again ( yes when hell freezes over ) would I recommended to anyone???????????? no not ever, simply put stay away it needs a good refurbishment to bring this tired old building up to date. I did check the reviews for this Hotel before booking and wished now I had headed the comments.....

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank sexyrexyCheshire

Travelers are raving about these Branston hotels

birmingham
Reviewed October 30, 2010

We stayed in the annex part of the hotel which does need to be updated, mainly the carpet which was threadbare in places. Our room was basic but very clean and we were pleased to have a view of the river as many rooms overlooked the carpark. The young man on check in was polite and welcoming. We booked dinner and requested a table by the window, when we arrived the table had been reserved for us, the waitress promptly took our order and was really freindly. The food was lovely and presentation was very good. Breakfast was excellent, all you would want and again very good.Checkout went smoothly. The most impressive part of our stay was the staff who made us feel very welcome and we would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 4, 2010

Having saved £250s worth of Tesco vouchers we decided to use them at this hotel - the rate worked out at £90 per night incl breakfast so for 3 nights we had to pay an additional £20 (think when you ring up any of the hotel chains thru Tesco clubcard the price per night is vastly inflated). The hotel itself is in a lovely location if you have a room looking out over the river - not so nice looking out over the car park and the houses nearby. The girl at reception was pleasant enough and we headed to our room. What a disappointment - it was tiny and in dire need of a lick of paint. Part of the wall inside the wardrobe was black and the paint on the wall above the bedside table had bubbled another sign of damp. The windowsill had numerous dead insects on and the paint around the window was all black. The radiator wasnt working and we rang reception but it was only on the third call that someone finally came up to fix it. The bathroom window wouldnt open and the extractor fan wasnt working - in the end i gave up ringing reception because throughout our 3 day stay no-one ever answered. The carpet on the stairs leading up to the first floor was threadbare and its the only hotel i have ever stayed in where i had to actually go down to reception to get the morning paper i ordered. However, on the plus side the breakfast is lovely - although on the weekend the staff were rushed off their feet and the evening meals are fine for pub grub. I would recommend an indian restaurant in nearby Burton (10 mins car drive) called the Mint Leaf - superb food , really good service. A visit to the Memorial Arboretum is a must.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Branston
Hilton at St George's Park, Burton upon Trent
Dovecliff Hall Hotel
Dovecliff Hall Hotel
#3 of 11 in Burton upon Trent
The Three Queens Hotel and Lodge
The Three Queens Hotel and Lodge
#7 of 11 in Burton upon Trent
Holiday Inn Express Burton-upon-Trent
Holiday Inn Express Burton-upon-...
#6 of 11 in Burton upon Trent
Premier Inn Burton On Trent Central Hotel
Premier Inn Burton On Trent Cent...
#2 of 11 in Burton upon Trent
The Grail Court Hotel
The Grail Court Hotel
#11 of 11 in Burton upon Trent

Been to Riverside Hotel? Share your experiences!