“Pleasant stay and would return”
Review of Riverside Hotel

Riverside Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Branston
A Sunny Island
“Pleasant stay and would return”
Reviewed June 14, 2014 via mobile

We paid £40 B and B for 2 people. Wasn't really sure what to expect for the price we paid. Overall we had a lovely stay and would come back. I booked through booking.com the day before our stay requests river view would be lovely and an easy accessible room, simply requested these as I have mobility problem. When we arrived check in was quick but slightly abrupt. Pre authorisation of £10 taken on cc. Room 8 ground floor partial view of river and swans in the distance. In the room good size flat screen tv. Very comfy double bed, great nights sleep. Extra pillows in the wardrobe. Opening window that fully opens and an inner one with mesh to keep the bitters out! Ceiling light and one bedside lamp one bedside cabinet no room for a second as it would mean limited access to bathroom door. Small wardrobe a few hangers not a problem as stayed overnight. tea, coffee, hot chocolate and two packets of biscuits. There was a hair dryer and fan. There is a desk and a chair. The facilities of the room I thought were great and appreciated the biscuits a nice gesture. Bathroom body come hand wash and body lotion supplied. Full size bath, shower fixed head type. My only criticism about the bathroom is the positioning of the toilet between the bath and a wall, it's quite a tight space. The bathroom itself is a good size. Window can't be opened due to the height of it but there is a fan when you turn on the bathroom light.

Dinner. Well having waited approx 20 mins at the bar to be served where the lady only seemed to serve the men, I walked away found another member of staff and asked to be seated in the restaurant. That was full or reservations for tables, but she did find us a table. The waitress we had was very pleasant, don't know her name but it was her first day. Menu you can have 2 mains for £9.99 we didn't have this menu. My husband had sirloin steak and ice cream, I had Stilton grape and apple salad, side orders chips for me and onion rings for him, desert cheesecake, 2 drinks bill £40. Food was good. My salad was missing the soya beans. Service friendly. They could do with an extra member of staff on during the busy times, as the lady who checked us in was also a waitress, who looked rather unwell i noticed during the evening. Breakfast. Tea or coffee and toast. Help yourself to muffins, juices, cereals, fruit, yoghurt. Cooked breakfast lots of options. He had full English I had scrambled egg with smoked salmon and grilled tomato. Good sized portions. Served by Natalie very friendly and chatty. We were offered more tea and toast.there is a lovely garden with views of the river. We stayed here for one night as visiting relatives in Burton. We will stay here again.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank quillingartist
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to let future guests know about the hotel. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and would stay again. I'll have a word with my bar lady today and ensure that she serves our customers in the correct order going forward. Thank you for the lovely picture that you took of the hotel, I'm sure future guests will really appreciate a sneak preview of The Riverside. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Chorley
Reviewed June 13, 2014

The Riverside is a cheap enough place to stay and you really need to remember this when you get into the bedrooms. Yes they are clean, but they are small, basic, old fashioned (but without charm) and a little shabby. The beds aren’t the most comfortable I’ve ever slept in, but I’ve stayed in much worse. The somewhat dangerous looking three pugs into one adaptor looked a little dubious and the toilet is so close to the wall and bath that some people simply wouldn’t fit. The main issue is not easily rectified though; it’s a 1970’s built pub with a set of box like rooms stuck on the side. Sadly now feeling its age, as with all of us 70’s children.
At £50 per night though some may prefer it to a Travelodge/Premier Inn (which cannot be had in Burton for that money).

The pub and its fare is pretty standard UK value pub chain offering and not really worth commenting on; edible, but no awards anytime soon.

I do have to mention all the staff though. From reception to bar to restaurant, all were very friendly pleasant and a credit to the manager and Pub Co.

Would I stay again? If had to, yes.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm so please to hear that you found my tream to be very friendly, pleasant and a credit to me. We always try our hardest to impress our customers so where we can make an impact on our customers with great service and clean rooms we always aim to deliver this. I'm sorry to hear that you did not find our beds comfortable, so I'll go try the bed out tomorrow, as soon as todays guests leave to see if perhaps the mattress needs replacing, as we usually get rave reviews about the comfort of our beds. I'm glad we could return your teddy to you!!
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here overnight and found the rooms very clean and spacious. Dinner was lovely in the restaurant, the staff were awesome. Great sense of humour and breakfast was very nice too, the buffet was a little small if you didn't want a cooked breakfast, but the cooked breakfast was lovely Great location for a relaxed overnight stay. Very quiet

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Valerie B
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to let us and others know about your stay. I'm so pleased to hear that you found our rooms to be very clean and spacious and that you enjoyed your dinnder with us. We look forward to welcoming you back next time you are back in the UK.
East Sussex
Reviewed May 22, 2014

We stayed for 7 nights from 5th May 2014 and were booked in by a very helpful receptionist. All the staff were helpful, attentive and polite. The breakfast was excellent and dinners of what I will call pub grub were served on time and were well cooked.
The location, on the banks of a tranquil river Trent with riverside paths that are easy to access is very pleasant.
We had room 20, which had a view of the river. This room was small with a very small ensuite bathroom. Whilst it would have been nice to have a bit more space, once we were organised, it was adequate. The bed room seemed clean but the floor of the bathroom was dirty when we arrived, though this was quickly sorted by the housekeeper when her attention was drawn to it.
We enjoyed the atmosphere of the place and the service given by all members of staff was excellent. Larger bedrooms and bathrooms would have been nice but would require a complete rebuild of the accommodation.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CaspianEastSussex
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us here at The Riverside and for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that you found my team to be helpful, attentive and polite and that you enjoyed your meals. We do have a lovely location hear on the river and I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the walks along the river.
Hastings
Reviewed May 21, 2014

Although owned by a chain, this hotel has the ambience of a privately owned hotel. The staff are all extremely friendly and helpful. The location is great, at the end of a residential cul-de-sac in a quiet village and on the banks of the tranquil River Trent. Yet just 2 miles from central Burton. There is a large beer garden with flat access from the bar. The riverside path is easily accessible with walks across fields to hand. The menu is good with excellent value meals available. There is a good selection of beer, wines and spirits at the bar. The only reason I give 4 out of 5 is the bedroom. The bedrooms need some investment from the owners, there is a distinct feel of travelling back in time to 1970's with the ensuite bathroom. But this is minor. If you are visitng the East Midlands and looking for a great place to stay this is a must.

Room Tip: Ask for an 1st floor room, you get a view of the river and fields
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ianmantel
Thank you for staying with us and for letting us know about your experience. I'm so pleased to hear that you had good stay and that your found my team to be extremely friendly and helpful. We are currently updating our bedrooms, one at a time, ourselves and we should have modernized all of the rooms by the end of summer, so next time you stay you will not feel transported back to the 70's. We do hope to see you again soon.
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 21, 2014

We took advantage of a complimentary night following a less than satisfactory experience at another Old English Inn. This made up for that! All the staff were excellent, attentive and polite and smartly dressed (not always so in these days of dumming down!). We enjoyed Room 24, which had a view of the river and was spacious with a luxury bathroom. Despite a busier than expected dining room due to the hot weather the staff coped admirably and our meals were served in a timely manner. Well recommended.

Room Tip: If you go the extra, book room 24.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Malcolm S
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. My team and I love to read our guests comments so we really appreciate you taking the time out of your busy day to let us know how we are doing. I'm so pleased to hear that you found my team to be excellent, attentive and polite, and yes, I agree, people should always be smartly dressed when at work. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Riverside in the near future.
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Arrived on Friday and we were quickly checked in by a knowledgeable and friendly receptionist who left the desk to show us around.
The room was clean and comfortable although a little on the small side. Only four hangers in the wardrobe!
All meals well cooked and presented and swiftly served although there appeared to be a shortage of staff behind the bar on Sunday night. The Chef appeared and soon sorted everything out!
The grounds and gardens are so beautiful and there are wonderful walks along the river right from the door.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravellerwithSharPei
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, May 11, 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to let us know about your visit, my team do love to read the reviews that we get. I'm so very pleased to hear that you found my team to be friendly and efficient and that you enjoyed your meals with us. My gardener will be planting our summer flowers in the next few weeks, so you'll have to come back later in the summer to see our gardens looking even more beautiful. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Branston
Hilton at St George's Park, Burton upon Trent
Dovecliff Hall Hotel
Dovecliff Hall Hotel
#3 of 11 in Burton upon Trent
The Three Queens Hotel and Lodge
The Three Queens Hotel and Lodge
#7 of 11 in Burton upon Trent
Holiday Inn Express Burton-upon-Trent
Holiday Inn Express Burton-upon-...
#6 of 11 in Burton upon Trent
Premier Inn Burton On Trent Central Hotel
Premier Inn Burton On Trent Cent...
#2 of 11 in Burton upon Trent
The Grail Court Hotel
The Grail Court Hotel
#11 of 11 in Burton upon Trent

Been to Riverside Hotel? Share your experiences!