“Not so bad.”
Review of Riverside Hotel

Riverside Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Branston
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I was almost put off staying at the Riverside after reading some of the reviews posted, however our one night here in early August was not such a bad experience. We found the reception staff very friendly and helpful, and the room, although quite tired looking, was clean and comfortable. We enjoyed a good breakfast and also found the restaurant staff friendly. The setting is very nice, with the views and proximity to the river. The location is also quiet. I recall visiting the Riverside over 25 years ago for a Sunday lunch .... It has lost some of it's charm, perhaps due to the fact that it is in need of some decent maintenance. (I did notice some fairly old and poorly maintained joinery for starters.) I would not want to spend too many nights here, but it was fine for our needs, at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Thank you for staying with us and for letting us know about your stay. I'm so pleased to hear that you found my team to be friendly and helpful and that your room was clean and comfortable. We are in the process of refurbishing our rooms and so far the few rooms that we have done look really good, so next time you stay with us, just give us a call and ask for a refurbished room.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

I had to attend a training meeting at the Riverside. In the pastthis used to be a busy pub/hotel with decent food and quite a large lunchtime service. On the day we were there it was pretty much deserted and smelt of damp.

I tried to buy some mints from the tic-tac dispenser but the machine swallowed my money without dispensing anything, so I went to reception who simply said that they were having that machine taken out and that there should have been a notice saying "out of order". There was no notice and they refused to refund my money!

Overall a very faded venue. It used to be OK 20 years ago, but now its best friend would be a bulldozer...

Room Tip: Use the Holiday Inn express instead.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank UMPath

I'm sorry to hear that you had a problem with our tic tac machine and that it caused you such a problem. We are having all of our machines replaced within the next 2 weeks, as we have changed suppliers. We usually advise our guests to contact the machine operator if they have a problem with the machines, which is very rare, but I would be more than happy to refund you the £1 you lost.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

After negotiating the housing estate you arrive at the riverside hotel. ample parking, lovely gardens going down to the river A large pub with accommodation is the correct description as it can hold weddings and has plenty of large rooms for the service and breakfast / disco. the bar area was clean and tidy and the staff polite and helpful the menus were excellent and food value for money. the breakfast on two mornings were very good ,then different chef ugh!!The problem is the bedrooms. they are so small that only a four foot six bed just gets in. ours was redecorated and the ensuite had been retiled. No double glazing on window and when opened we were inundated by spiders . no wonder that there was a fly screen , that had to be opened to get to the window The curtains were partly hanging down due to broken hooks ,not mended despite our complaining . As we went for two of our three nights with Tesco points I suppose we should not be too critical, we would not go again even if free.

Room Tip: Impossible but ask for a modernised one overlooking the river
1  Thank philip275
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Thank you for staying at The Riverside and for letting us know about your stay. I'm pleased to hear that you found my team to be polite and helpful and that you enjoyed our food. We do seem to have been fighting a loosing battle with the spiders this year, despite spraying insect spray around the windows daily and removing any spiders from the rooms daily. I have replaced the curtain runners from your room, as these proved to be the problem with the curtains handing down

Reviewed August 27, 2013

We were due to stay here for one night in the honeymoon suite as a wedding gift. We arrived the day before to leave my car & overnight case there.I spoke to the person on reception, Iv'e since found out was called Karen.I explained what I was doing she looked at me and sort of said Ok then with the attitude of so...what you telling me for !!!.and thats all I got. the next day was the wedding at a local venue which was splendid, Only to get a call at 10.30pm to tell us if we havn't checked in by 11 pm we would be locked out. my daughter rang them back and said why wasnt this explained when they dropped the car off. This same receptionist was so rude and said Im not having this conversation with you i will speak to your parents when they get here and put the phone down..How rude!!! so we never stayed there, and do not wish to return again.They spoilt our perfect day..I think she needs to brush up her hospitality skills, Apparently she's a manager and that says it all.

4  Thank katyb63
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I usually only receive praise from customers about Karen, so I do apologise. Our customer service is usually of a very high standard and my team usually go out of their way to assist customers, like when Karen recommended to you to park your car in the smaller of the 2 car parks the day before.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

I am currently staying here now 13th August for 1 night and the pub looks very nice, unfortunately the rooms they show on the website are not the rooms i have seen here. The rooms are small which is not a problem as a hotel is to sleep in but the room is very very dated with mould on the roof in the bathroom near the window which either has a leak from above or a damp problem. Some time and attention would make the room look rather nice i am sure but it feels like a cell now. Kettle dirty, cobwebs in the bathroom which shows it has not been cleaned for some time.

As i am a business traveller i do stay in a number of hotels each year and around 6 times per year in Burton, normally the pubs i have chosen to stay at have been very nice but on this occasion it was a very bad choice.

The staff are very nice but it does not detract from staying in a room that is nothing like the rooms shown on the website as a hook to get you to reserve.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Damian T

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to let us know about your experience. I'm so pleased to hear that you found my team to be very nice, as we always aim to provide our guests with a lasting impression. I would agree that our rooms are dated, which is why we are in the process of refurbishing our rooms. My handyman is currently refurbishing a room every 2 - 3 weeks, so we would anticipate that over the coming months all of the rooms will be of a much higher standard, which is very evident in the rooms that he has completed.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

This is not a hotel for the faint hearted if you have a fear of spiders then this is not the place for you!! We have just returned from a one night stay and couldnt wait to return home. The rooms are small, dirty and uninhabitable. If you are on the larger side you would have a bit of a problem using the loo as it is situated right next to the wall and bath with no space either side. The rooms are very dated and the whole of the hotel is in desperate need of a refurb .But on the plus side the view from our room was very picturesque. This is the worst place we have ever stayed at and will not be returning.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Thank you for letting us know about your recent visit. I'm pleased to hear that you found the view from your room to be picturesque and can only apologise if the insect life detracted from your stay. Being the middle of summer and experiencing a heat has caused an increase in all insect life in the UK, and whilst our house keepers remove all insects whilst servicing the rooms, we do find that as the nights draw in, so do the spiders, and with it being so very warm it is understandable that all of our guests choose to leave their windows open to take advantage of the cool breeze from the river and to take in our spectacular views. We are in the process of refurbishing all of our rooms, and whilst this will not enhance the size of the room, the rooms that we have done, look fantastic, so we should have all of our rooms refurbished within the next 12 months.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

We have just returned from a two night stay at this hotel.From reading Tripadvisers reviews, I was more than a little reticent as to what I would find there. I was pleasantly surprised. From checking in we found all of the staff, gardener,handyman not to mention the maids, all very pleasant and helpful. Our room, No 16 had just had a refurb. and although a little' bijou', it was clean and fresh. The shower and toilet too..The bed, as in all Old English Inns was very comfortable. Breakfasts were very very good and served efficiently by the indominant and unsurpassable Eva who attended to our every need. Jose who took her place was also very attentive although not as speedy as Eva, then who is ? Our evening meal from the 2 for 9.95 menu was more than adequate and very enjoyable.The beer and wine were priced as one would expect to pay in a hotel, but not over priced.Les the barman come waiter was efficient and vey polite. In all our sojourn was very pleasant and our joy was compounded by the beautiful surroundings and picturesque walks along the lovely Trent riverbank. Give this hotel a try and draw your own conclusions.Don't be put off by the usual moaners and wingers who invarialy suffer from the Champagne taste but only having Coca Cola money

Room Tip: Our room faced the carpark and was quieter and fairly free fom the midges. Ask for a river view when...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Coventrykid14
Chris_Garnett, Guest Relations Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2013

Thank you for spending some time with us here at The Riverside. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us, as we enjoyed your company and the chats that we had during your stay. I'm sure we will see you again in the near future and I look forward to continuing where we left off.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Branston
Holiday Inn Express Burton-upon-Trent
Holiday Inn Express Burton-upon-...
#4 of 11 in Burton upon Trent
The Three Queens Hotel and Lodge
The Three Queens Hotel and Lodge
#8 of 11 in Burton upon Trent
Premier Inn Burton On Trent Central Hotel
Premier Inn Burton On Trent Cent...
#2 of 11 in Burton upon Trent
The Grail Court Hotel
The Grail Court Hotel
#11 of 11 in Burton upon Trent

Been to Riverside Hotel? Share your experiences!