“Nice amenities, but strange customer service experience”

Best Western Plus Ticonderoga Inn & Suites
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Ticonderoga
Reviewed July 13, 2009

Everything people wrote about cleanliness and conveniences is absolutely true. The breakfast was fine- the waffle maker was a nice touch. Some bananas and whole milk would have been nice. (They had 2%, fat free, tomato juice, oj and water.) We had hoped to go into the indoor pool with our toddler but it was way too cold. We had a strange customer service experience that put a damper on our feelings towards the staff. Housekeeping left us a note, early in our stay, that a set of towels were missing, so they'd only replaced two sets and that if we didn't return the missing set, we'd be charged. (There were only two to begin with, and it's my understanding that those wishing to pilfer hotel goods do so on their way out, not early in their stay.) We found the tone of the note a bit offensive in terms of the usual customer service standards, and were disappointed to find the front desk immediately deferring to housekeeping in the matter. Puzzled by the unnecessary drama, I asked if stolen towels is a big problem here, and he said, "Oh yes, they are $16 each!"

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank tapny

Reviewed June 29, 2009

I would absolutely stay here again. The room was scrupulously clean and had a light, clean scent when we arrived. The furniture was beautiful. The beds had white covers with decorative spreads and were very comfortable. There was a touch-screen controlled thermostat in the room that worked great. The bathroom had gleaming marble and chrome fixtures. Towels were plentiful, thick, and spotless. There was a small fridge in the room and wireless internet that was fast and problem-free while we were there. Also, a large flat screen television was present. We did not use the pool or fitness room, and we only ate at the restaurant for the free breakfast. Breakfast choices included cold cereal, some fresh fruit, make-your-own waffles, and an assortment of breads. Also coffee, hot water for tea, milk, and juices. It was adequate, but not exceptional. The staff was friendly and helpful. The hotel is not hard to find, but it is located a bit out of town, so it isn't really near anything else. The only other negative was the echo-y-ness of the rooms and hallways. From inside the room, we could hear some hallway noise (other people's doors opening and closing, as well as people walking and talking in the hall). This was not a problem, though, as the occupants were generally pretty quiet.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pferdina
Reviewed June 4, 2009

I believe this new hotel has the cleanest rooms around... they are spotless.... comparable to 4 star hotels. Especially to note was the clean smell; spotless carpet; the marble showers and sink area; the down comforter-style bedding (not just a blanket); the large flat screen TV; nice size fridge in a built-in cabinet; and air conditioning worked without any issues. The staff was nice and as helpful as possible.

There were a few quibbles I had with the hotel, but considering the other accomodations in the area, this is by far the best. The quibbles.

1. The room layout is not for business travelers, there is no desk. There is a small square table on which the (optional) microwave and ice bucket were placed. This was the only place for a laptop.... squeezed next to the microwave. Of course, there was no ergo office chair either, as many hotels do now have. The room also had the top of a dresser/TV unit and a small night-table, neither of which was suitable for typing.

2. Other reviewers mentioned the good continental breakfast. I found it not that good. They had a few cold cereals with milk and juice. They had hard boiled eggs and make-your-own-waffle-batter. However all the tiny bagles and muffins looked quite stale.... I didn't try them. I went to the Walmart Grocery Store - one block away and bought my favorite milk and cereal brand and ate it in the room.

3. I took my son swimming once to the heated pool, but it was too cold to stay in for more than a few minutes.

Port Henry was about a 20 minute drive from the hotel. Lake George Village, Pirates Cove Adventure Golf, and Six Flags Amusement Park were about a 55 minute drive away.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Brygida_2008
Reviewed February 3, 2009

I just returned from an extended weekend at the Best Western Ticonderoga Inn & Suites. The place is beautiful and clean. The staff was friendly, courteous and helpful. The food was delicious with large portions and priced reasonably.

Be forewarned, however. They rent their pool for children's parties and during that time (3 hours each), guests are not permitted to use the pool. There was one party on Saturday but on Sunday there were two. We were extremely disappointed since we picked the place because of the pool.

If going in the pool isn't your thing, then this is the place for you but if you want to spend time in the pool then it's best to ask when you make reservations if the pool is going to be booked during your stay. I made my reservations directly with the hotel but I was not warned about the pool parties they had booked. Make sure you ask.

Stayed: January 2009
1  Thank grantgal
Reviewed February 2, 2009

Several weeks back I was set to have a work training session over a weekend near Ticonderoga. Im a frequent business traveler; this hotels wireless in room internet was fast and easy, I picked up a hamburger at the hotel restaurant to eat in my room while I worked, got to relax for a while watching the flat screen TV in the room,, relaxed my back in the hot tub. This hotel has the modern clean style, business traveler amenities ,I expect when I stay at a newly built / renovated Best Western or Hilton Garden type hotel. Read the other reviews, the hotel is TOPS and clean. I have something else to say THAT YOU MUST READ. Saturday mid-day I got a call from my mother, I had a family emergency I had to leave the hotel with short notice in the middle of the day. I told the desk clerk what happened, I figured of course they would charge me for the night.
Several Days later Peter Ward, the hotels OWNER, called me asked how things worked out with my family and told me he was not charging me for the day I left.
Read the other reviews on this hotel, its clean, modern, the staff is nice, BUT for a the hotels owner to call me and ask how my family was during a family emergency and not charge me... Well this literally brought me to tears.
The folks who own and work at this hotel are GOOD PEOPLE, GIVE THEM YOUR BUSINESS!

Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank RexHar
Reviewed November 5, 2008

We stayed for 3 nights in Oct'

The room, a good size with 2 double beds. The bathroom modern and clean, with plenty of fresh linen.
The very good rate included breakfast,self serve with all you want. The restaurant had a limited menu, but again, very good value for money. Suggest you don't dress up for dinner,very casual.

The desk staff without exception were always helpful and pleasant. Would certainly use again.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 28, 2008

After staying at The Super 8 (I have another word for it) and the Stone House, and the Circle..something, we were ecstatic at finding this jewel. Our daughter and family live in this area and as long as they are there, we will be visiting.

The breakfast was as good as the one at the Marriott Residence inns where we have stayed. The swimming pool was great (according to our granddaughter). We watched her enjoy it for over an hour on two separate occasions.

The sole computer in the reception area was excellent and FAST!

We WILL be back

Gretchen SC

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ticonderoga
Middlebury Inn
#3 of 3 in Middlebury
The Sagamore Resort
The Sagamore Resort
#1 of 8 in Bolton Landing

Been to Best Western Plus Ticonderoga Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!