“Can't believe this is a Marriott -Don't stay!”

Westchester Marriott
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Tarrytown
Ridgefield Park, New Jersey
“Can't believe this is a Marriott -Don't stay!”
Reviewed December 11, 2010

The hotel gives you the illusion that it's nice. But don't get fooled by the lobby. The rooms very small and let's not talk about the bathroom. The Toilet almost hits the door so you are basically in the hall when you get in. 2 PEOPLE CAN'T FIT IN IT AT THE SAME TIME!
I felt as in I was a motel instead of a Hotel. They should be ashamed of themselves. We had been at a xmas party and came to the hotel exhausted. At 3 in the morning we are waken by alarms and evacuation procedures. There we are in our nightgowns walking outside in the cold weather at 3 AM!! What a horrible night! Then I suggested let's get room service. What a mistake. Besides that what we ordered wasn't sent, They brought it on a tray and the room had no Table!!!! Just wanted to leave immediately after this experience. Don't waste your money! Horrible place to stay!! Never again!!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ewoman_1004

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 5, 2010

I stayed at this hotel over the Thanksgiving weekend with a friend and her 3 small children (5, 4 and 2). The hotel was booked for us for Fri/Sat night by her Dad, and we went down 2 days early and booked Wed/Thurs night.

The hotel has a great set up with a beautiful pool area great for families with kids. There were always plenty of towels at the pool, and supposed to be a lifeguard on duty (although we never saw anyone on active lifeguard duty - the only members of staff we saw in the pool area were someone giving out towels and someone in a suit who asked children to get out of the jacuzzi.)

We were on the 2nd floor with a balcony overlooking the pool courtyard area. This was ok because we had a small balcony that we could hang towels and swimsuits over, however they never really dried because of the humid conditions in the pool courtyard (indoor). It was also kind of annoying as we had young children and were going to be by 7.30 or 8pm but the pool is open until 10pm, so if you are wanting to get to sleep earlier than 10 I suggest you request a high floor (5 or above).

We had 5 people staying in the room and it was quite small - 2 double beds with not much space in between them. Again, our family staying on the 5th floor had rooms that were slightly bigger (for the same price), so request a higher room.

No problems with the staff - everyone was genuinely friendly and our housekeeper responded to our numerous requests for extra towels, pillows and even to clean up a broken glass in the bathroom quickly.

There are 4 eating facilities at this hotel - an expensive steak restaurant, a restaurant/bar serving lunches and dinner, a cafe in the lobby with bagels and coffee, and then the small restaurant that serves a buffet breakfast and lunch. Breakfast was good - well worth the $14 for a great buffet with pastries, muffins, cold cereal, oatmeal, bagels, toast, fresh fruit, yoghurt and juice, or for $20 you could get hot options including waffles and omelettes made to order.

The hotel is about a $10 cab ride to Tarrytown station, however I would reccommend going to White Plains station (about a $20 cab ride, or there is all day parking for $6.50) because it is a more frequented station and you can get an express train into Grand Central in about 35 minutes (a local train that stops at a lot more stations takes about 50-55 minutes).

The train is about $14 return off Peak and $20 return Peak for an adult, so you need to balance this when you are planning on staying out of the city, although for us it worked as we only went into the city on the train 2 days, and spent the other day in the local area.

There is a good diner down the road, and the White Plains mall is about a 10 minute drive. There is a spa/hairdresser on site, as well as business centre facilities (Internet on a computer is $6 for 20 minutes - a bit pricey) and a small gym/fitness area.

Downfall is that there was no free wireless internet, and there was no hourly price for internet on your own device - the only option was $13 a day :|

Overall a good stay, and I would definately stay here again!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed November 29, 2010

...absolutely the thinnest walls that I have ever encountered in a hotel! My mother even commented that you could hear them breathing next door!

Front desk on checkin tried to Jedi Mindtrick me into taking a king room when I had a 2 double room guaranteed! I wasn't having it with 2 adults and 2 Tweens to bed!

Beds were comfy, though not many pillows. In room coffee was garbage... Extreemly hard to get the air to give a requested temperature.

Definitely don't waste the money on breakfast...go to the Eldorado Diner down the street! (a local favorite!)

• Stayed November 2010
Southeast Massachusetts
Reviewed November 28, 2010

We are well-traveled and discerning. We came to the area to see family and friends for the Thanksgiving holidays. We have two well-behaved dogs who travel with us. Although I think $75 is much too high a fee to have to pay for having our dogs in our room, I can say nothing bad about this hotel. The service was excellent, the staff extremely friendly and well-trained, the room was really spacious, quiet and clean.
Free internet was available in the lobby, where there is also a breakfast bar with Illy coffees (yummy). Parking is free and the location is terrific. We'll definitely be back on our next trip to the area.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
yonkers
Reviewed November 15, 2010

My son and his new wife had their wedding reception here. The staff is wonderful and could not do enough to make our time special. Food was great, and hotel has been remodeled. Rooms are spacious. However, they charge $ 18.00 for breakfast which upset many of the guests that attended the wedding. Do yourself a favor and go down the street to the local diner. I would think for the price they charge for the rooms and free breakfast with some coffee and bagels and rolls would be appropriate. free breakfast. If you want to sleep late, you wont. Housekeeping is buzzing around the halls with the vacume and cleaning at 7 am. Othewise nice stay!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Jupiter, Florida
Reviewed November 10, 2010

Stayed at the Westchester Marriott for 5 days. The hotel was beautiful, clean and a joy to stay at. The staff was professional, friendly and very accommodating. The rooms could have been a bit larger for my preference, but were fine. I'm a little spoiled from staying at resorts that offer larger rooms. The pool area was well maintained as was the fitness center. Our room was very clean and maintained each day. The only complaint I have is that the coffee shop didn't open until 6:30 during the week and 7:00 on the weekends. If your an early riser it would have been nice to find a hot cup of coffee somewhere in the hotel a little earlier. I like to have my coffee and then workout early. I realize the coffee thing is a very minor issue but since the hotel caters to business travelers it just seemed odd that an urn of coffee wasn't readily available. Overall the hotel is terrific as is it's staff! The beds were extremely comfortable to boot!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed October 27, 2010

I never really thought about the speed of a hotel's internet until this trip. I'm here on business, and doing some work in my room. I noticed the other day that it took well over an hour to download a large excel spreadsheet from one of the websites I work with. So, I decided to do a speed test, and discovered that the download rate of the internet here was running at about 0.65 mbps. As a point of comparison, the slowest speed DSL I can get at home would be 1.5 mbps, and cable internet is 10 times that fast.

After consulting with the front desk, who sent the engineer to my room, who called Ibahn tech support, we found out that the hotel subscribes to a service that offers internet at the speed of about 0.7 mbps, which is exactly what I was getting (for $13 per day).

I spoke to the "operations supervisor" (who wouldn't allow me to speak to the manager), and he said that the hotel had recently upgraded to wireless, and that they would be increasing the speed within the month. I don't believe that, and if internet speed is important to you, you should probably check before staying here.

So... I wouldn't recommend this hotel for anyone who actually needs to use the internet.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tarrytown
Courtyard Tarrytown Greenburgh
Tarrytown House Estate on the Hudson
Sheraton Tarrytown Hotel
Sheraton Tarrytown Hotel
#7 of 7 in Tarrytown
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Tarrytown
SpringHill Suites Tarrytown Greenburgh
Hampton Inn White Plains / Tarrytown

Been to Westchester Marriott? Share your experiences!