“Like the hotel, but will not be back”

Westchester Marriott
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Tarrytown
Hartford, Connecticut
“Like the hotel, but will not be back”
Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

Checked in Friday night (about 10 pm), front desk clerk was checking me in and helping other guests at the same time. Multi-tasking is great but he wasn't focused. He asked me if I wanted a King or 2 doubles, I said 2 doubles. In the midst of his multi-tasking, he neglected to give me a room with 2-double beds because when the 4 of us went to the room, there was a King. We went back down to the desk, this time the Office Supervisor (I think his name was Mark) assisted us. I explained to him that we requested 2 doubles and he told me that my Marriott profile was guaranteed for a King and that they were sold out of doubles for the night. I told him that the clerk had asked me which room type I wanted and I told him 2 doubles. He did give us a room with 2 doubles, with a l view of the sallelite dishes! We checked in our room and my mother went to the vending machines on our floor (2nd). There were 2 pieces of a pretzel on the floor, by the garbage. There was also a ROACH! We passed by the vending machine area every time we used the elevator, and Saturday night, those same 2 pretzel pieces were there! I guess it's nobody's job to clean the vending machine area. Sunday morning, room phone rung at 9:00, a wake up that we did not request. It did that 3 times. My mom went to the front desk and the same Office Supervisor was there. He apologized for the phone, offered a late check out, and breakfast from the restaurant.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank babygirl12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
New city, NY
Reviewed February 20, 2014

My husband and I stay here every once in a while just to get away for the night. We stayed the night of valentines day. Room was clean, unfortunately the pillows where not up to the Marriott standards (we love the pillows and the bed at the marriotts) My fault I should have asked immediately for more. We were pleasantly surprised with their new bar/restaurant. We had drinks at the bar and breakfast the next morning, but we love Ruths Crist restaurant that is connected to the hotel. Once again a great meal there. Everyone at the hotel was extremely nice.
I do however think it is time to upgrade the pool area and hot tub area. Looks beautiful in the pictures but the pool is uninviting. (the area surrounding the pool is lovely, you can even get a room that you walk right out to the pool area, great if you have little kids.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank conrad0928
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Hotel and rooms are very clean. Rooms and lobby are modern. Pool and spa area very clean. Staff was helpful and pleasant.
Got a good night sleep. I heard some noise once in a while from the hallway, otherwise private.
The atrium pool area was nice on a cold snowy winter day. Hot tub was perfect.
Will go back sometime in the future.

Room Tip: Best room is on the ground floor in the atrium area if you use the pool/hot tub.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank InvisibleSecretAgent
Sioux Falls, South Dakota, United States
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I needed a hotel for a quick Saturday night stay to attend a family gathering. The party was in this hotel so I decided to give it a try. The normal room rate was $235/night but I found it on line for $99. Awesome. For a full service hotel these days, you cannot beat the rate. I loved the room and the comfy king bed. The only complaint I have was their satellite TV service. I was hoping to watch the Olympics but the TV reception was flaky on all channels and the viewing experience was annoying. Otherwise, the party was held in the Cooper Inn Restaurant and you could not beat the convenience.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Steve S
Pine Bush NY
Reviewed February 3, 2014

My husband and I went to the Westchester Marriott to attend an event in the area. We decided to arrive a little early to relax in the pool and hot tub. The check- in was very fast and the room was a typical Marriott room. The room was clean and up to date. We went down to the attrium pool. It looked so inviting. We took off our cover-ups and the room felt pretty cold. We went in the pool anyway only to find out the water was pretty cold too. While in the pool I saw a themometor that read sixty degrees. There was also a women on the phone pleading for the front desk to do something to make things a little warmer. Someone showed up about 10 minutes later and checked the temperature. We thought we would warm up in the hot tub,but it was under repair. By this time there had to be at least 20 kids jumping like mad in the pool(I think the only way to keep warm). We sat for about another 10 minutes it didn't get any warmer so we gave up. We had a bite to eat and left for event. We got back to the hotel around 11PM and went to sleep. At around 1:30 AM we were awakened by some rather loud guests. They were very loud and going in and out of rooms. Everyone else on the floor seemed to be with this group. Why do hotels mix regular hotel guests in with groups?The noise lasted on and off till 4:30AM. The noise only stopped when they put the bill under the door and then they went right back to parting. Only being topped by one of them getting sick and someone else laughing at them. Oh yes, there is a sign when you get off the elevator that there is a quiet time policy at the hotel from 10PM till 8AM. HA!!! We left in the morning and I hope to never return.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ingrid B
Reviewed January 23, 2014

This hotel is good for business trips but not really a family hotel. It has a very nice indoor pool area but was closing for a private function when i arrived . I suggest calling ahead and ask if it was going to be open. My children were very disappointed as they were looking forward to using it. They were able to use it for about an hour before getting kicked out. The glass ceiling in the pool area drips water when it rains in many areas within. The rooms are very clean and are very typical of business hotel rooms. The employees are the most part were polite. This hotel is located on a street with quite a few other business hotels and not in the nicest areas when looking for places to eat nearby. This was an average hotel but nice.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Paul G, Manager at Westchester Marriott, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Thank you for the positive comments regarding the cleanliness of the rooms and politeness of our staff. Please accept my apologies for the pool being closed for the private function, you should have been notified of this before your arrival and we obviously fell short of contacting you. We are also looking into the leaking glass panels and hope to have them fixed in the near future. If you would like to discuss your experience further, please feel free to contact me directly at 914-333-1202. Once again, please accept my apology. We would like to regain your trust and we hope you will allow us an opportunity to provide you with an exceptional guest experience when your travels bring you back to this area.
Coral Springs, Florida
Reviewed January 21, 2014

We just spent a week at this establishment as a result of water damage to our house. The hotel rooms are just basic without safes, refrigerators, makeup mirrors, heat lamps in bath etc. At $200 a night that is a lot to give up. There is no turn down service. What there is is a hotel that books rooms to anyone willing to pay the tab. When we checked in we were not advised that in the next few days an onslaught of children would descend on the hotel. During our stay the hotel sold rooms to over 2000 kids for various functions--basketball competition, Irish dancing competition and so on. What we experienced was a hotel overrun by wild groups of kids with no parental supervision. From 6 am to 1 am they rampaged through the hotel with the adult guests left to fend for themselves. We were forced to keep calling the hotel security to do something about the situation. What we were told was that there were no parents or other supervision for the kids and the hotel was helpless in face of this onslaught of wild children. Never never stay at this hotel!!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Paul G, Manager at Westchester Marriott, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Thank you for your review on January 21, 2014. Please accept my sincere apology for not meeting up to your expectations during your recent stay at our hotel. Our many years of success in Westchester have been built upon the fact that we take great pride in trying to make everyone’s stay completely satisfactory. Please feel free to contact me directly so that we may research this matter further. You can reach me at (914) 333-1202.