“Fine hotel, but was visited by ants”

Westchester Marriott
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Tarrytown
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Just stayed here one night on business. The overall facility was comfortable and fine. Nothing spectacular but fine. I did wake up in the middle of the night with ants crawling on me and all over the room. While I was promptly moved to another room, I would have expected at least an offer of a free breakfast in the morning for the inconvenience.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed October 8, 2012

We were in Westchester for a family event this weekend and used our Marriott points to stay at this hotel. The location - right off the Saw Mill Parkway and I-287 was very convenient. Check in was very smooth and our room was large, clean, and very comfortable. I'm usually not thrilled with hotel mattresses, but slept quite well here. We would definitely consider staying here again on our next trip to the area.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 25, 2012

My sister just had her wedding reception here two weeks ago and it was lovely. The food and service at the wedding were great. I booked many rooms for family and friends and had to make alot of changes when I got there. The front desk staff was very helpful and I am pleased that there weren't any mistakes on my bill. My sister had a suite and it was very spacious and comfortable. My room was a standard hotel room with very comfortable beds and pillows. I didn't get a chance to use the pool, but it was very enticing. It's a nice hotel and I would recommend to others.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I travel to this area on a regular basis and have used the Westchester Marriott as my go to hotel since August of 2010. I do have Gold status with Marriott so I am very appreciative of the lounge access and upgraded rooms. I have never had a problem checking in and the staff has always done their best to accommodate my requests for room location and type as well.

In my experience and during my most recent stay the rooms have been nice and in good repair, though the hotel is showing some wear due to the high volume of traffic they get. All of the features in the room worked well, including the hookups so I could play computer based videos on the TV. Internet service was good but certainly nothing like a dedicated cable modem in one's home office.

The staff in the Tavern/Bar has been there for a number of years and they do a good job of remembering peoples' faces and favorite libations. Always a nice touch.

I will continue to stay here.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I stayed at the Westchester Marriott for two nights in August 2012, after "Naming My Own Price" on Priceline. Having stayed at this hotel several years ago, I knew enough when I checked in to say that I didn't want a room looking at the noisy air-conditioners atop the one-storey restaurant that adjoins the hotel. Instead, I was assigned a room overlooking the swimming pool that is the centerpiece of the enclosed atrium courtyard of this hotel, which appears to be a funky relic of "the swinging seventies."

At first this room assignment seemed better, but as I unpacked I noticed a moldy smell in the room. I checked the aging mini refrigerator in the room; it was turned off and the wire rack was heavily coated with mold, as was an abandoned plastic knife. I cleaned up the mess inside the refrigerator and ran the air conditioning on high for several hours, but even that didn't eliminate the moldy smell. I suspect that the atrium is not adequately ventilated, and that moisture from the swimming pool contributes to the funky air that I experienced throughout my stay.

Since I was only staying for two nights and I'd already made a non-refundable payment for a room that I wasn't planning to spend much time in anyway, I just made the best of it. But I won't use Priceline again when shopping for a hotel in Tarrytown, because I'd rather pay full price for a decent room at the nearby Sheraton or Doubletree HIlton than endure yet another substandard stay at the Westchester Marriott.

My decision to avoid this property in the future was reinforced by the exorbitant daily charge for Wi-Fi service that was painfully slow, and by the empty liquor bottles that lay in the dying grass at the edge of the parking lot. The bottles were there when I arrived, and they were still there forty hours later, when I departed.

Room Tip: If you're stuck having to stay here at all, insist on an outside room far from the rooftop air c...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Stayed here numerous times on business. Good location. Average Marriott standard rooms.
Ruth's Chris Steakhouse on premise is a plus.

TV reception not too good. Internet access should really be free, especially since wireless was very slow.

For something newer & a little nicer (but smaller) try the Sheraton next door.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 3, 2012

The Marriott Brand once again has not disappointed. I was assigned a room viewing the parking lot, all the way down the hallway, and it was extremely quiet, and no noise could be heard. Check-in was flawless, and Latoya was extremely friendly and professional. The in-room dining was excellent, and one of the best in-room dining experience I have had. Housekeeping was spot on, and there was not one speck of dust in that room. The breakfast buffet for about $14 pp was an excellent value, especially since it offered hard boiled eggs, hot entrees, as well as a "home-made" fruit smoothie. The only gripe about this hotel is the $13 internet charge. Oh well.. this is New York City for ya.

Thank you Victor, Sarai, Latoya, Denise, Niquan and all the other employees for your assistance in making my stay a memorable one.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tarrytown
Tarrytown House Estate on the Hudson
Courtyard by Marriott Tarrytown Westchester County
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Tarrytown
Sheraton Tarrytown Hotel
Sheraton Tarrytown Hotel
#7 of 7 in Tarrytown
SpringHill Suites Tarrytown Greenburgh
Hampton Inn White Plains / Tarrytown

Been to Westchester Marriott? Share your experiences!