“Best Hotel on the Tarrytown Strip”

Westchester Marriott
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Tarrytown
New York City, New York
“Best Hotel on the Tarrytown Strip”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

For a family function, we booked a large block of rooms at the Westchester Marriott, and we were extremely pleased with most aspects of the hotel. Here are our observations:

1. Among the five or six hotels along the Route 119 strip from Elmsford to the Hudson River, the Marriott is a standout. It has more of a professional, substantial operation, is the largest, and its staff is uniformly accommodating and well-trained.

2. Rooms are very clean, modern and reasonably large.The suites are enormous. All of the standard amenities are present (toiletries, iron and board, hair dryer, in-room safe, flat-screenTV, etc.). Windows opened, A/C was good,and hot water was plentiful.

3. Parking is plentiful and free. There is also a shuttle bus available for jaunts to the local train station, and other venues.

4. There are three restaurants/taverns in the hotel including a Ruth Chris Steakhouse.

5. A very large atrium with a nice swimming pool is available year 'round. A small but adequate fitness center is also available.

6. Check-in and check-out and many other requests made of the staff were all handled quickly, professionally and to everyone's satisfaction.

7. Pets are allowed (for a fee).

8. No smoking anywhere in the hotel. (This is a personal issue, I know, but a strong one).

What we didn't like were the following:

1. A $13/day charge for internet access. This practice simply has to go.

2. A $75 "cleaning fee" for a pet.

3. There were insufficient bell carts available. We had to wait for almost a half hour to get some heavy boxes out to the car.

In general, this is a very nice member of the Marriott chain, and a pleasant spot to stay if you're in the area. There are a few popular wedding venues nearby, and regardless of the "deals" that some of them offer with other hotels on the strip, the Marriott is probably your best bet.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
milwaukee
Reviewed August 29, 2012 via mobile

I suppose all hotels have them, but this hotel has huge industrial air conditioners and they are so loud. I was on 2nd floor and asked to be moved. I am now on the 5th floor listening to them as I write this (it is 1 am). Otherwise clean, nice size room, but pricier than should be. Breakfast good and fast.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Westchester County, New York
Reviewed August 12, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel multiple times over the past few years. This hotel OK for the value at rates of $150 or less per night. Convenient and safe location, outdoor parking, indoor pool, restaurants, pet friendly, nice rooms, and normally good customer service.

However: frequent brown water, multiple issues which the card key (ended up with almost 10 by the end of one of my stays instead of having someone fix the problem), apparently unsupervised kids are allowed to run in halls and horseplay, check the bathroom tub before you settle in as I had to clean it myself at one of my stays, there is something about the water that I refuse to drink or wash any food, and I believe this affects the feel of the towels too or I don't know what that is about..... all this certainly does NOT qualify for a $268+ per night hotel.

After speaking with managers on and off location regarding the ridiculous increase in rate and being told that I would not find another hotel in the area for less... I DID! So please do your reseach before spending that much.... like the Sheraton right next door and many others on the same street.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Franklin, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Quiet, VERY comfortable bed, guys at the front desk as nice and can be and very helpful. Great breakfast. Went on to the next leg of our journey to a resort on Long Island and after a couple night's there I was pining for my nice Marriott bed back in Tarrytown.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Surrey
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Not too much to say about this hotel except was very good. The reception were very helpful, the rooms nice and large, it was clean and the hotel pool was good for the children.
The location is fine but you must have a car.
I wish all chain hotels were up the the standard of this one.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank DK2001
Beijing, China
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Stayed here for 4 night last week. Very quiet. Room service, front desk are pretty good. I have to authenticate multiple times of connections to internet very often, even within 24 hours. So annoy. Suggest to fix this as soon as possible. The food at lounge at floor 9 is so poor. No much choices.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed August 3, 2012

I stayed one night at this hotel, after "winning" it through Priceline. I've stayed at the Westchester Marriott a number of times over the years, but my last stay was about 2 years ago.

I wanted a quiet room where I could open the window rather than using the air conditioning, so I requested a room facing route 119 -- not facing the atrium and not on the backside next to the thruway. What I got was a room above the restaurant side of the property -- with a gigantic and loud air conditioning unit outside the room -- making it way too loud to open the window.

Overall, I was not impressed by the room. The room with 2 beds felt cramped -- couldn't back up the desk chair without hitting the bed, and for some reason there was a small extra table at one side that really made the room look too small for the amount of furniture.

I arrived late at night and went straight to bed. When I turned on the TV, there was no picture. I called the front desk and the clerk was very familiar with the problem -- she said that the TV needed to be "reset", and that I should turn it off and turn it on again. Turns out the set needs to be "reset" every time you turn it on.

The next morning I got a good look at the bathroom and was disgusted. The toilet had a pronounced ring, stains and spots in it -- it clearly has not had a thorough cleaning in many, many months. There was mildew in the shower. There was also toothpaste on the wall near the trash. Additionally, all doors were scuffed. Someone really needs to clean this place up!

Aside from the dirtiness, I thought that the mattress was too soft. My usual travel companion has a very bad back, and I think this mattress would have left him in significant pain.

Last, I've read other reviewers' complaints that the internet is very slow. I complained about that on my last stay 2 years ago, and discovered at the time that the hotel was paying for an internet plan offering a download speed of 0.7 MBPS. At the time, they said that they were upgrading to a much faster plan in the coming month. I tried checking the speed in the lobby, but for some reason wasn't allowed to access the speedtest website -- I guess that's one solution to guests that complain about the speed!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tarrytown
Courtyard Tarrytown Greenburgh
Tarrytown House Estate on the Hudson
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Tarrytown
Sheraton Tarrytown Hotel
Sheraton Tarrytown Hotel
#7 of 7 in Tarrytown
SpringHill Suites Tarrytown Greenburgh
Hampton Inn White Plains / Tarrytown

Been to Westchester Marriott? Share your experiences!