“trip with small kids” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
great neck, ny
“trip with small kids”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2008

i stayed here labor day weekend with my husband and our two children who are 4 and 7.

the outdoor pool was very nice and the flat screen tv was nice as well. but there were no good channels (i.e. mtv, vh1, disney, etc) we had to change our room three times until we found one that was close enough to the pool. with small kids you dont want to hike to the pool/breakfast each day.

the breakfast buffet was also good and service was okay. the indoor pool was very small and the gym needs to be updated as well. the rooms were spacious and clean but i felt the bathrooms could be updated too.

we asked the front desk for a nice italian restaurant and the best they could do was recommend a pizza shop that was a dive. i guess this place is good for business but not really for families. we enjoyed the outdoor pool more than anything.

Stayed August 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2008

Everything was absolutely perfect from start to finish. Check in was efficient and friendly. First impressions of our room was it was large, large beds, nice tv (bathrooms kind of a let down but do not reconsider because of this) pool area was really nice. Sports center was great, played a game of racquetball then jumped in the pool, then got in some sun. Went walking later on around the property and saw some interesting antiques and pictures.

The property was just so perfect. Green grasses, flower gardens, everything was ideal for a day to relax. Didn't try the on site restaurant, we decided to break our cheesecake factory virginity (20 mins away).

Everything was just perfect here. Can't wait to return

• Liked — Location and amenities provided for quiet much needed relaxation
  • Disliked — nothing, it seriously was perfect
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2008

I recently was a guest at the Tarrytown House Estate & Conference Center and the only word I can use to describe the property and the experience is...WOW.

From the moment I stepped into their newly renovated lobby I felt right at home. The service was top notch beginning with my check-in experience, overall the staff truly made me feel like family.

After check-in into my renovated guestroom I headed to the pool area. I was pleasantly surprised to see that they had added to their once mediocre pool grill. The menu boosts both hot and cold items that were available at the drop of a hat. It also offers cold beverages, both alcoholic and non-alcoholic, which is just what I needed on a scorching summer day.

We had planned to dine offsite for dinner but then wandered into "Cellar 49", a new addition to the estate. Once a sub par dining establishment, this space had been 100% transformed into a "true dining experience." Resembling a trendy NY steakhouse this restaurant is only available for hotel guests, which is most likely the only reason I got a table. With it's upscale, yet casual menu, there is something for every palate.

I had been a guest at the conference center in the past for business purposes and was always pleased. The weekends at this estate is a whole new world! I would highly recommend the Tarrytown House for a planned trip or simply to get away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life.

Can't wait to return,

Megan Skelly

Stayed July 2008
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2008

Came up with GF from NYC for quick romantic get-away. A friend I work with was there for a meeting in June. Raved about place.

We called and got a great Bed & Breakfast deal. Rate was $189 and they upgraded us at check in.

Grounds were real nice, old. Layout like most write was crazy! Very difficult at first. Service from desk clerks were great.

Room was real plush, ask for Rockway wing. These upgraded rooms overlook gardens and have granite dry bar, fridge, etc.
Bed was real nice and comfortable. AC was noisy but cranked cold.

We ate at pool which was great, drinks were reasonable for the place. Breakfast was great. We did not eat at restaurant but had drinks there, very nice.

Only complaint was they did not supervise kids too well at pool, splashing all over and oblivious parents. Other than that great, we will be back!

• Liked — Grounds, Room and Pool
  • Disliked — Splashing Brats in Pool
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
New York, NY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2008

My boyfriend surprised me with a weekend away at Tarrytown House Estate this past weekend. Due to traffic, I beat him there, however, he had called ahead to assure I would be able to check in without him (they made no mention of me giving a credit card or needing to sign anything, only ID was needed). I explained to the woman who checked me in that this trip/stay was a special gift, still she insisted on using my credit card number to hold everything until we checked out. This I was fine with, not OK was her handing me over a paper to sign indicating the total that my boyfriend had paid for everything!...I told her that I thought he may have wanted this to be a secret and perhaps she could be a bit more discrete. She shrugged and said "it's policy". When he arrived he went to the front desk to switch our cards and also told her he wished too that she would have waited (as he requested on the phone) for HIS credit card as (again) this was a gift. She said that it was policy...he said that he undertstands policy, but how about a bit of hospitality (mind you he arrived only 30minutes after me). She literally said, "I guess we are not hospitable"?!.
The room was fine, we had a nice time laying out at the pool.
This was all basically negated in the end though, as they charged my card for the whole weekend. Again, despite him checking out in the end and giving them HIS CARD.
This is the first negative review I have EVER written about a hotel...I was just shocked that what was meant to be a romantic surprise weekend was handled so carelessy and callously by the staff. I would not have a wedding or other event here based on the interaction I had.

• Liked — The pool
  • Disliked — The service and staff at the front desk.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank kcm1
Pennsylvania, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2008

Immaculate, spacious room on beautifully landscaped grounds in quiet setting. Friendly staff. Upon arriving home, I received a follow-up survey from the hotel via e-mail. The only fault I could come up with concerning our Sunday night stay was an overly loud ac unit that kicked in at 3 a.m. The hotel manager sent me back a personal e-mail saying the matter would be addressed right away. Fitness center seemed a bit outdated and small compared to the rest of the well-designed property, but was adequate for a morning workout/swim. We booked the room with a AAA discount, and received what I considered a competitive rate for the area. Overall, a very pleasant experience.

• Liked — beautiful interior design of room and cleanliness
  • Disliked — air conditioner unit
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Milford, CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2008

I was looking for a quiet elegant weekend get away for my husband and I that was close to CT (due to gas prices). This was perfect. Because it is a conference center the prices are cheaper on weekends and the place is quiet with no overcrowding. The indoor pool and jacuzzi were great and the sports center had both weights and cardio machines. They also have tennis courts, bocci ball, and basketball available. The new Cellar 49 Tavern was a nice place to hang out and eat a nice dinner. The food was very good but nothing major to write home about. I had the filet and my husband had the salmon. The rooms are nice and pretty basic. We were on the lower level of Rockland House which made me think there was a musty smell to the room. But the grounds and mansions are BEAUTIFUL. I would definitely come here again! Also a great place for a wedding.

• Liked — Resort like hotel with everything onsite
  • Disliked — Musty room on lower level
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple