“Great place, great price...”

Tarrytown House Estate on the Hudson
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Tarrytown
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We visited here last weekend to attend a wedding held nearby. Originally we thought we would be going home right after the wedding but our plans changed and we looked into Tarrytown House, which is where a lot of the wedding party stayed.
We got REALLY lucky... on their website they showed a Labor Day special rate of $99 per night which was (I recall) about $50 less than the wedding party rate. We snapped it right up and were really glad we did.
Not to belabor what all the other great reviews have already said, this inn is really beautiful. Most of the photos show a castle like building, but this is not where we stayed. Ours was a much more modern building nearby. The room was large with a very comfortable King bed. Excellent bathroom facilities. The room was also extremely quiet-- I don't think I heard a single external noise all night.
My wife had two knees replaced about 6 weeks previous to our visit, so we had special requests for a room on the ground floor, and as close to the entry as possible. We also asked if we could get an early check-in so we could enjoy the inn's grounds before getting ready for the wedding. All of these special requests were cheerfully granted. We had some time at the outdoor pool and the gym, both of which were excellent.
We're seriously considering taking another trip to this beautiful inn/estate for a more leisurely weekend when we're not already booked up with a wedding.
Note--as our reservation confirmation email noted, Mapquest or GPS directions will NOT get you here! Try putting in Irvington as the town name, not Tarrytown.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
THECC, Guest Relations Manager at Tarrytown House Estate on the Hudson, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

Dear Paul B:

Thank you for your very kind comments and taking the time to share them with our fans on Trip Advisor. We are so happy you will be staying extra with us over the Labor Day Holiday weekend.

Our dedicated team prides themselves on creating memorable stays and I trust you will enjoy once again all our estate has to offer.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,524)

Reviewed August 27, 2012

After seeing many "rave" reviews, I thought it would be nice to book my 25th wedding anniversary weekend at the Tarrytown House Estate. Imagine my frustration when I could not speak to a human during regular business hours to book a room(I left a voicemail which went unreturned) and after putting in all my information online, the reservation went into cyper spinning for over several minutes. In the meantime, my ability to book for two nights went to one. I did finally speak to someone who said she was "onsite" but she was not helpful and seemed to be reading off a script. This is not a way to win new guests. We will be staying elsewhere!

9  Thank Ellen O
THECC, Manager at Tarrytown House Estate on the Hudson, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Dear Ellen O:

First off, Happy Silver Anniversary! I am so sorry we were not available and able to assist you with selecting a date to stay with us.

My apologies for the reservation system run-around and I hope you will give me a chance to personally place your reservation. As you can see we are the Estate of choice to celebrate such life marking events and a vast majority of our guests note not only the incredible Estate amenities but our personal attention to service.

Kindly call me at your convenience so I may attend to the issue personally and hopefully change your perception of our Estate. Thank you again for apprising us of how we can do better, I look forward to serving you.

Miguel Rosario
Director
(914) 591-3192

Reviewed August 23, 2012

I went here with my boyfriend for 1 night. We wanted a getaway where we felt like we were on vacation but not far to drive (approx 35mins from Queens). Check-in is at 4pm, which I was worried about but since we came mid-week and it wasn't too busy we were able to get our room at 12pm! We were able to settle in and enjoyed the pool all afternoon. For lunch we drove into Terrytown since the restaurants on the hotel grounds are very nice but expensive ($19 for a burger) Terrytown was less than 10mins away so it was convenient. After that little outing we were back at the pool, veryyy enjoyable! We also took advantage of all the sports activities available, bocce ball, horse shoes, basketball, volleyball, tennis and racket ball... and all equipment is conveniently right next to each station! We had to much fun! For dinner we found a nice restaurant in sleepy hollow. After we sat outside, it was a beautiful night! Check out is at 11am, but we put our luggage int he car and were able to enjoy the pool until 1pm, the fitness room has a shower that we were able to use before we headed home. Love it! It's a beautiful location, the room was nice and clean with a big king size bed. Great for a romantic night away

Room Tip: breakfast is $20 per person (there's a bagel shop 5mins downy he road)
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
THECC, Guest Relations Manager at Tarrytown House Estate on the Hudson, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Dear CfromQueens:

Thank you for taking the time to share your weekend visit with our Trip Advisor community.

I am so glad you and your boyfriend enjoyed the Estate and were able to secure a room early. The pool and sports facilities were just restored this past year and offer a wide variety of activities for everyone.

The Village is a short and quick get-away and offers a great variety of historic attractions, restaurants and shops.

I hope we may soon welcome you back!

Reviewed August 22, 2012

We chose the Tarrytown House Estates to celebrate our anniversary, and we couldn't have been happier! Everything was perfect from the check in/check out process, to the room, to the spectacular grounds! It was everything we hoped it would be. It was romantic and unique and an overall perfect experience. We loved everything about it and would not hesitate to reccomend it to anyone looking for a romantic encounter.

2  Thank JaniceNJ

Dear JaniceNJ:

Happy Anniversary and a special thank you for celebrating this milestone with us. We appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts with our fans on TA.

The Estate does offer a unique glimpse into what life was like 100 years ago and I am so happy you both found it the perfect romantic get-away.

Please do think of us as the fantastic Fall season approaches which is one of our most picturesque as the foliage is beautiful in the Lower Hudson Valley.

All the best until we welcome you back!

Reviewed August 22, 2012

My wife and I just spent a Thursday and Friday night there having never been here before. We were not disappointed. The grounds are beautiful, the staff were great and our room was clean and comfortable. It was less than an hour and 1/2 ride for us which made it even better. Who knew we had such a relaxing and beautiful place to getaway too so close by. The food at the Cellar 49 was excellent and the choices on the menu had something for everyone. The outdoor pool and cabana bar was the perfect afternoon and our bartender was excellent. Highly recommend you try a couple days here (or maybe a few).

Dear Darrin M:

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent stay with our fans on Trip Advisor.

We were delighted to welcome you and your wife and I am so happy you enjoyed our estate grounds, mansions and amenities. Our people pride themselves on creating memorable stays and I am so glad we did just that for you.

I hope we may soon welcome you back!

Reviewed August 17, 2012

It is a beautiful , the grounds are spotless. It had everything I was looking for. The people are
helpful friendly.. The rooms were nicely updated.. Everything was clean, pool in and out was
great. If your looking for a relaxing get away this is the place to go. I only live a hr and half away
but felt like I was far away on a beautiful vacation. My husband and I left saying this was great!!

Room Tip: stayed in the Fairfield building, which was near everthing. Didn t go in the spa or have breakfast t...
1  Thank Lindaortiz

Dear Lindaortiz:

WOW and thank you for such an incredible post. We truly appreciate your taking the time to write and be our guest.

I am so glad you enjoyed our gardens, grounds, mansions and most importantly our finest asset, Our People.

I hope we may soon welcome you and husband back!

Reviewed August 17, 2012

I took a quick 2 night trip here for 4th of July. Not having any extra time off as the holiday fell on a Wednesday, I came up Tuesday night and left Thursday morning. What a wonderful little getaway! I absolutely cannot wait to go back again.

The grounds are gorgeous and it is set in such a beautiful natural surrounding. The property has several buildings, but the desk attendant was very welcoming and made sure I knew where to go. My room was spacious, comfortable and well maintained. I had dinner and drinks at the Cellar 49 both nights and the staff could not have been more kind or welcoming.

The 4th was one very hot day, so I enjoyed being outside and being able to take frequent dips in the pool and spend time under the umbrellas in the lounge chairs. The pool area was lively, but not so crowded that it wasn't enjoyable. The ability to get a poolside snack and cocktail at the patio stand/bar is delightful. There are plenty of other options for outdoor activities throughout the grounds.

If you are looking for a nice getaway, where you can spend some lovely time outdoors, either being active, or just kicking back and relaxing in a chair and reading a book, this is a great option. Everything you need to enjoy a weekend is right there on site. Even though I was only there for about 36 hours, I left feeling like I had gone on a mini-vacation. I'll definitely return!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Maeve25

Dear Maeve25:

Thank you so much for not only taking the time to write about your short but restful stay but also acknowledging our incredible dedicated team.

We are so happy you enjoyed the Estate and our newly restored outdoor pool pavilion. Cellar 49 has been a huge hit and again thank you for the kind feedback on our new summer menu.

The Fall is a particularly beautiful time here in the Hudson Valley and I hope you will soon return.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tarrytown
Castle Hotel & Spa
The Ritz-Carlton New York, Westchester
The Time Nyack
The Time Nyack
#1 of 3 in Nyack

Been to Tarrytown House Estate on the Hudson? Share your experiences!