“Should have been better”

Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Tarrytown
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Tarrytown
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 19, 2008

I was looking for a really nice hotel. This hotel is nice but it is just an average hotel. Nothing special. The only plus was that the beds were really comfortable and the linens were nice and plush. However, the staff was very incompetent. I had booked two rooms. When I arrived one room was not ready and this was at 3:30 when check -in is at 3pm. When I booked my reservation, I requested two rooms on the second floor and they gave me two rooms on the first floor. I had to wait approx. 1 hour after I got there for them to move us to the second floor. The air conditioning was not good in the first floor room. However, it did get better when I moved to the second floor room. I had to call the front desk twice while I was there and both times they were no help. The first time I was looking for a spare roll of toilet paper since the one in the bathroom was almost empty. I was told there should be a spare one in the bathroom somewhere. When I couldn't find it they sent someone up to my room with a roll. The next morning I found it in the closet (not in the bathroom). The second time I called the front desk was when I tried to resume my in-room movie that I paid for the night before. You are supposed to have access to the movies for 24 hours when you purchase them. I could not get into the Menu option on the tv at all in order to resume the movie. This went on for hours, with 2 phone calls to the front desk for help. I ended up checking out and never getting to see the end of my movie. They did remove the charge from my bill but it was very disappointing and annoying that they couldn't take care of the problem. I didn't use the restaurant so I can't comment on that. I will probably stay elsewhere next time I'm in the area.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family

Reviewed July 1, 2008

Everything right about this hotel: accommodating, prompt and efficient staff; large rooms (double in our case) well appointed and laid out; good beds with LUXURIOUS linens; pleasant indoor pool with 'moon roof' to outdoors; great lobby that felt like a ski or hunting lodge and was pleasant to linger in; modestly priced; well located to tourist destinations. It's still being revamped, but even in its present not completely renovated state it was great.

Only reservation fact that breakfast was SO expensive in the hotel restaurant that everyone went across the street to the diner instead.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 15, 2008

Overall, it was an OK stay, with no big minuses. I read about the extensive renovation, and agree with some previous comments. Check-in was smooth and staff were friendly and courteous. Previous comment re: flat screens but analog signal so true -- the audio and video were out of sync on every channel, probably due to a T-storm but perhaps this wouldn't be the case with a digital signal? The room decor was standard and somewhat drab, which was a disappointment, and the air-conditioning was so-so, but the beds were very comfortable. And yes, the bathroom was small -- but on the other hand, this appears to be a 60s-70s-era building, which probably prevents bathrooms from being enlargened. Although I didn't eat, the buffet breakfast looked good. If in the area again, I would consider staying again if the room was priced competitively.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 15, 2008

This is a completely renovated mid-century property. They did a fairly good job with an adirondack lodge theme. The rooms had all the required 3 star features but since this was a facelift only, the bathrooms are tiny by today's standards. The fitness center was very well equipped but I didn't get a chance to experience the pool. The AC in the room was a little loud and there were no refrigerators in the room.

The staff were friendly for New York. The $17 breakfast buffet was good and they will cook many things to order if you ask. If you're driving, being able to park right next to your room is a convenience.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed June 9, 2008

I have stayed at this Doubletree twice on business, on week days in late May and early June. It was an acceptable hotel – a little run-down on the outside, but the bed was very comfortable (as I have found with other Doubletrees) and the room and bathroom were both clean and well maintained, with new furniture and flat screen t.v.s. The wireless internet worked fine, the t.v. worked, and for a business stay it was fine – right off of I-287 – but I didn’t explore any of the amenities (I tried to look at the pool and I was locked out). I will say that the bathroom lighting in both rooms was dim: I kept looking for another switch to turn on some non-existent other light. I can’t comment on the rate since it was booked through a corporate site that (in my opinion) paid far too much.

I agree that the lobby is a little weird - an underfurnished attempt at an Adirondack lodge look that just feels cold, but the room was pleasant. I did not have trouble with the layout because on both occasions my room was near an entrance.

Notwithstanding the above, I would stay there again,

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed May 28, 2008

We have tried all the hotels in the Tarrytown area and were hoping, following this hotel's 2-year renovation, that it would become our top choice. However, this is not the case. We were very disappointed to find that the resort-like outdoor pool has been replaced with a ballroom extension. The indoor pool has been renovated but it is nothing to write home about. Frankly, we were expecting that the hotel had undergone a top-to-bottom renovation. Instead, the rooms have been updated with new furnishings and flat-screen TV's and certain improvements have been made to common areas but that is where it ends. The lobby has a ski-lodge look but is under-furnished. We had a very long walk to our room from the lobby (although we could have driven) but there are still stairs to negotiate, which is not easy with luggage. The former restaurant has been rebuilt and now has a strictly institutional look instead of a resort feel. The new Sheraton and the Westchester Marriott are preferable choices in the area but we would stay here again if the rate was sufficiently attractive.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2008

First, please disregard reviews prior to 2008. This hotel was closed for around 2 years to completely renovate it. Having stayed before renovation and after, it is a different experience now.

The rooms are very nice with HDTV's (but with analog cable). The bathrooms are on the small side, but clean. The original design of the building remains, which means you can have a fairly long walk to the lobby and you will probably have to go up a few stairs to get to your room, a minor inconvenience if carting luggage. The lobby area of the hotel is nice and is very similar to a ski lodge with vaulted ceilings, fireplaces, and plenty of stone and woodwork. The menu at the restaurant is somewhat limited and a bit overpriced. I did not try the food, but colleagues found it to be tasty. I elected to eat across the street at a diner with good food and a good selection.

The problem with the place is the staff. They seem to be brand new to hotels in general and don't quite have the hang of it yet. They are friendly, but really don't seem to know about the hotel itself, or the area they are in.

All in all, it is a nice property. The prices are a bit high, but competitive with the other hotels in the region.

I would stay here again so long as the price remains competitive.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business