“Most disappointing Hilton property ever” 1 of 5 bubbles

Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Tarrytown
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Tarrytown
GreenLeadersSilver level
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Most disappointing Hilton property ever”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

I booked this hotel for business travel. I arrived on a Monday with plans to stay for 1 month. I checked out 4 days later and found another place to stay for the duration of my trip. My room was in the very back part of the property but at least there was parking at the rear entrance. The elevator to the 2nd floor was old, creaky and took forever for the door to close ( even with pushing the close door button). I actually thought it had malfunctuined. The hall on the second floor reaked of a sickening sweet smell - worse than febreeze. It appeared to be an attempt to cover up foul odors. Exercise room was cluttered and unpleasant. Breakfast voucher provided but couldn't use because breakfast didn't start until 7 am which is the time I needed to leave for work.
On Wednesday I returned at 6 pm only to discover I could not drive to the rear of the building because the parking lot was blocked. Apparently the hotel had some remodel project as there were large trucks, generators, and bright lights illuminating the work area. The parking space I had to use resulted in a long walk through a maize of halls. There was no notice or explanation from management. Same thing happened Thursday night- that's when I made arrangements to change hotels. Thursday night at 9:30 pm large diesel trucks were backing into parking spaces outside my window - LOUD diesel engines running, lights shining in window and the annoying beep when commercial vehicles reverse. And workers talking loudly. At least by then I knew it was my last night in the horrible place!
I am a Diamond level Hilton Honors customer and try and stay at Hilton properties whenever I can.
I don't think I have ever had such a bad experiencde at a hotel. Management apologized but it was too little to late.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank beach2013_53
DoubletreeTarrytown, Director of Sales at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Tarrytown, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
The employees and management at the DoubleTree by Hilton Tarrytown are very proud of the personal service we provide. We try to learn about our clientele and get to know them. We let the ball drop here and we apologize for your disappointing stay. We provided notification in writing to each guest, and perhaps under these circumstances we should have spoken to you directly. The DoubleTree by Hilton Tarrytown was selected by Warner Bros to film a scene with Kevin Bacon the actor for the TV series ‘The Following’. The noise from the generators and lighting came from the filming crew of Warner Bros. However, we did not have any other complaints surrounding the film crew at the hotel.

I am certain that had we spoken to you directly we could have moved your room away from the film crew and resolved any service issues. My contact information is as follows, Peter Jiser, Director of Sales & Marketing, 914-524-6434. I ensure you that your stay at the hotel was not the norm and we appreciate your loyalty to the Hilton Brand. Please contact me at your convenience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
ARLINGTON
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

We came across the Doubletree in Tarrytown a few years ago, and we were happy to stay there again recently during a holiday-season vacation to New York.

A short 40-minute train ride to Grand Central Station, the Doubletree is conveniently located for those of us who want to visit New York City but don't want to deal with the hustle and bustle of the city every night. It's great for kids, with a nice indoor pool and a great breakfast buffet. The lobby is surprisingly elegant and spacious, and the rooms were nicely furnished, which is a plus considering the prices are so much more reasonable than a hotel in the City.

We were especially impressed by the polite and helpful staff and the free shuttle that ran between the hotel and the train station (upon request, at least in December when we visited).

My family and I are looking forward to staying at the Doubletree again, next time we visit New York.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DoubletreeTarrytown, Director of Sales at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Tarrytown, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Tarrytown. Thank you for your "excellent" reviews and compliments on the hotel amenities. The hotel was initially built by Hilton as a retreat from NYC. The convenience to NYC and surrounding areas makes the hotel ideal for family weekends. We look forward to your return.
Lakewood, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

Everything was good: nice accommodations, comfy rooms, and pleasant, easy to work with staff. Norma and Jakkie, at the front desk, were always very helpful and always had a smile in return to every request made of them. Aviva put in a lot of work to help coordinate our event. I found that the staff at Double Tree Tarrytown is eager to help!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

This hotel is really an enjoyable place to stay. I've been to weddings, weekends, and events here and they all are very well run and organized. The staff is very helpful and easy to work with. I very much enjoyed my stay. Also I love the whole vibe of the hotel!

• Stayed January 2013
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

We were so happy here! The staff and service were so sweet and available at all times. Rooms are spacious and clean. Pool and exercise room were great! Couldn't have asked for a better stay! Can't wait to stay here on our next trip in!!

• Stayed January 2013
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

I recently stayed at this property for a few days with my husband and children, we were in NY for a family gathering. Everything was going well with our stay until it was almost time to leave. The young ladies at the front desk during our check-in were very helpful & pleasant. There was a young hispanic gentleman at the main door, I believe he handled luggage-he was also a great help. He directed us toward our room. Breakfast was included with our package, we forgot the vouchers in the room, we were harrassed the entire time during breakfast by the restaurant manager Sheryl. She almost turned us down before we were actually seated. I couldnt enjoy my food nor could I stand the tention in the dining room. This woman seemed a bit insane, she argued with my husband telling him that the vouchers were given to us to bring down, not to be left in the room. We were totally in shock. We travel all around the world & this has to be one of my worst experiences ever...My husband went to the front desk to ask about breakfast vouchers & he was questioned by another rude woman, I think she was either a supervisor or manager, short older woman, brown hair with bangs, with tattoos visible on her chest. She wasnt dressed in a uniform, she was another problem. She made it seem as if they were wasting paper or we may have given our vouchers away or anything crazy. She gave us 2 vouchers, the crazy woman in the restaurant sent us back for 2 more vouchers for my small children. The person at the front desk told us 2 were enough because 1 voucher usually covers 1 kid/1 adult. We were treated like criminals. This is no way to carry on for a voucher. We didnt steal anything or do anything wrong...I thought this was all unreal. Overall the property was very nice.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
DoubletreeTarrytown, Director of Sales at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Tarrytown, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
As Diamond members of our Hilton Honors program, you are considered to be of elite status. The Diamond member benefits include 48 hour room guarantee, late check out, express check out, complimentary internet, upgrades where available, and complimentary breakfast for (2). You rented (2) connecting rooms with (8) people in the room and were given (4) coupons for complimentary breakfast buffet. When you claimed that you left your breakfast vouchers in your guest room, we provided you with (2) additional vouchers. You insisted on free breakfast for your entire group of (8) when you were only entitled for breakfast for (4).

Your remarks regarding our staff, are not justified. Our dedicated staff at the front desk has 17 years of experience in operations at Hilton Hotels, and at our property. 17 years of customer service and very knowledgeable of our brand standards. Additionally, the restaurant manager has tenure of 5 years at our DoubleTree by Hilton Tarrytown. Our staff was just doing their jobs and take great pride in the service which they provide.
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

we stayed at this wonderful hotel the weekend after new year's.we wanted a place to get away from the hustlle and bustle of the city and we found it!!!
an exceptional staff coupled with a beautiful facility made this a retreat to remember

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank chaim s
Thank you for your recent stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Tarrytown. Thank you for your "excellent" reviews. The DoubleTree by Hilton Tarrytown was initially built as a retreat from NYC. The convenience to NYC and surrounding areas makes the hotel ideal for family weekends. We look forward to your return.