“Consistency in service each stay”

Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Tarrytown
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Tarrytown
GreenLeadersSilver level
Smyrna, Delaware
“Consistency in service each stay”
Reviewed December 7, 2011

Return trip to hotel. Hotel now has a dedicated Hilton Honors check-in desk. Always a good stay here. Room requests are honored by this hotel and I have been happy to receive my specific suite. The hotel staff is helpful and really provides consistent service on each stay. I have reviewed this property previously and added this review as I stayed in another Doubletree property in Virginia with provide a stark difference in amenities.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
New York
Reviewed December 5, 2011

I am up at 4:00AM and writing this review to warn you: do NOT stay here. Decades ago this was a nice hotel. Not anymore. It's time to repurpose the building or rip it down. I think this mattress was purchased when the hotel opened. It actually creaks, and is the most uncomfortable mattress I've ever slept on in my life. My back is killing me and I don't usually have issues. I just called the desk and the gentleman said all the mattresses are the same age but he will speak to housekeeping to make sure and I will have to check back later.

This is one of those low buildings where you have to walk a mile to get to your room. It literally takes ten minutes to get from my room to the lobby. People were wandering the halls with their luggage between 5 and 6 last night. It's a total pain. I do not feel very safe because my room is so far from the main building. I could scream bloody murder and no one would hear me. Another guest and I walked outside and cut across the courtyard area as a shortcut but it's winter and who wants to do this? Outside you can see peeling paint everywhere and how shabby this place has gotten. Also, the bar is in a mail hallway and there were little kids running up and down while their parents were standing there drinking? I reaize that's more the parents fault but if this place had a proper lounge maybe someone could have said something.

Hilton needs to wake up and get out of this building. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. All the nice soaps, new sheets, flat screen TVs and cookies in the land do NOT make up for a horrendous night's sleep. The bad news is all the other hotels in the area are sold out - hmmmm, I wonder why the $300 a night hotels are sold out and this one was giving away rooms at $115???? Stay anywhere but here, but book early, or else you'll be stuck! I travel about 40 weeks out of the year and have stayed in some tiny towns that didn't even have a brand name hotel, and this is BY FAR the worst night I have spent in a long long time.

Room Tip: Terrible night's sleep. Old building not kept up. AVOID!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank marty99x
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed December 2, 2011

I stayed at this hotel on a weekly basis long term and wanted to compliment the staff on their great service. Every staff person was always helpful, warm, professional and courteous. The hotel was also conveniently located, clean, and safe. I will miss my second home. Want to thank the following staff for their wonderful service.

Melinda, Tracy, Zena, Dolly, Sunny, Shaquan, Jackie, Alicia, Karl, Sara, Ruth, Diane, Cheryl, Jason, Michelle, Ana, and Housekeeping.

Room Tip: Newly renovated so all rooms are in great shape.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Reading, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 1, 2011

Stayed here just for the one night wile interviewing with a company nearby. A great location and absolutely loved the hotel building layout. As opposed to the usual big building, this was almost like a lodge with just 2 stories and stoned payed floors in the reception etc.

Clean and simple rooms with really comfortable beds.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Florida
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Convenient location to Tappan Zee Bridge and train station to NYC. Nice sized room with large bathroom. Clean. HH member so we got free breakfast that was good.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank love2grdn2002
Hyannis Port, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 18, 2011

Lobby is nice, convenient location right off highway and near Tarrytown restaurants, etc. Room was OK...the hotel seems to use rooms at the end of north wing as dorm rooms for local college.

We did have an issue with the climate control. Called the front desk when we arrived as we put the AC to 60 and hot air came out. The engineer let us know that it is a 2 pipe system, and was turned to heat only. Any setting below the room temperature would just circulate the warm air, and above our room temperature would heat it. We were there during 65 degree days, so room was 75 degrees with no option for cooling. Solution was to open window...

Refrigerators not present, but we rented one for $10 for the stay, which was well worth it for the kids.

Bathroom was very small, but functional, clean and nice. Beds seemed to be old mattress and sagged in middle.

Overall, the other hotel in town that we stayed last time we visited the area was a better value and generally better, which was less "stars". We definitely expected more.

Room Tip: Room towards lobby would be closer to pool and away from college kids
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank john55c
Sherman Oaks, CA
Reviewed November 10, 2011

I stayed just one night and mostly because I had to be in Tarry town and I am a HH Diamond VIP – like the benefits and working to re-qualify for next year. My conference was at the Marriott nearby. Check-in was fast an efficient – although I don’t understand why the amenity water is not put in the room, and you have to juggle luggage, keys and two bottles of water up to the room. A number of Hiltons do this and I think they need to re-evaluate that. Enough other properties do it, so its clearly workable to put the water in the room. Particularly since there are steps even after you use the elevator to get to the upper floor at the back. The hotel was full, and a requested upgrade was declined. The hotel also has no executive lounge.

The room was a little stuffy and the A/C never really solved that over night. The room is a nicely renovated Hilton room, but the bathroom was definitely a relic the hotels vintage (built 1960). Its tiny and dated, but workable for one (two I don’t know – the counter space was pretty sparse for one).

My aunt, who doesn’t live far away, came to meet me for dinner. She had heard great things about the restaurant in the hotel, so we ate there. I was excited to see a fall Octoberfest like menu of German specials. I had the pork loin (“swinebrotten”) with red cabbage – which was tender and wonderful. Our waitress (although very nice) apparently had never seen the menu and had no idea what we were talking about when we ordered off of it, couldn’t really answer any questions about the menu, and had no idea what the free drink coupons given to us at check-in covered. Each question required an “I can find out” or a trip to visit with the manager. I understand being new, but being familiar (at least in passing) with the menu should probably a minimum requirement for dealing with paying guests. My aunt’s veal was really tough – which at the price was really not acceptable. Our waitress’ offered to bring her a steak knife instead of offering something else to replace it. It was only after some discussion that the manager came over, we sent the veal back, and received word that the chef also thought the recent batch of veal they got was tough (why its gets served to the customers, I don’t know). All in all, not a terrible experience, but just a modicum of training or interest in what she was doing would have gone a long way with the waitress and us. The breakfast buffet was complete forgettable – although being in the NYC area, the bagels were decent.

In the morning, I stupidly couldn’t find my rental car keys. With all the commotion and water juggling at check-in, I didn’t realize I slipped them in an outside pocket of my laptop bag which I never use. The staff was wonderful – even a front desk manager came to my room to help me look. I thought I might have left them at the restaurant, but nope – just completely spaced. I appreciated the concerned help I received.

All-in-all, not bad, but I might be tempted to try another property (hopefully Hilton) in the area on my next visit.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business