“Not Bad, But Just OK . . . . . .”

Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Tarrytown
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Tarrytown
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sherman Oaks, CA
“Not Bad, But Just OK . . . . . .”
Reviewed November 10, 2011

I stayed just one night and mostly because I had to be in Tarry town and I am a HH Diamond VIP – like the benefits and working to re-qualify for next year. My conference was at the Marriott nearby. Check-in was fast an efficient – although I don’t understand why the amenity water is not put in the room, and you have to juggle luggage, keys and two bottles of water up to the room. A number of Hiltons do this and I think they need to re-evaluate that. Enough other properties do it, so its clearly workable to put the water in the room. Particularly since there are steps even after you use the elevator to get to the upper floor at the back. The hotel was full, and a requested upgrade was declined. The hotel also has no executive lounge.

The room was a little stuffy and the A/C never really solved that over night. The room is a nicely renovated Hilton room, but the bathroom was definitely a relic the hotels vintage (built 1960). Its tiny and dated, but workable for one (two I don’t know – the counter space was pretty sparse for one).

My aunt, who doesn’t live far away, came to meet me for dinner. She had heard great things about the restaurant in the hotel, so we ate there. I was excited to see a fall Octoberfest like menu of German specials. I had the pork loin (“swinebrotten”) with red cabbage – which was tender and wonderful. Our waitress (although very nice) apparently had never seen the menu and had no idea what we were talking about when we ordered off of it, couldn’t really answer any questions about the menu, and had no idea what the free drink coupons given to us at check-in covered. Each question required an “I can find out” or a trip to visit with the manager. I understand being new, but being familiar (at least in passing) with the menu should probably a minimum requirement for dealing with paying guests. My aunt’s veal was really tough – which at the price was really not acceptable. Our waitress’ offered to bring her a steak knife instead of offering something else to replace it. It was only after some discussion that the manager came over, we sent the veal back, and received word that the chef also thought the recent batch of veal they got was tough (why its gets served to the customers, I don’t know). All in all, not a terrible experience, but just a modicum of training or interest in what she was doing would have gone a long way with the waitress and us. The breakfast buffet was complete forgettable – although being in the NYC area, the bagels were decent.

In the morning, I stupidly couldn’t find my rental car keys. With all the commotion and water juggling at check-in, I didn’t realize I slipped them in an outside pocket of my laptop bag which I never use. The staff was wonderful – even a front desk manager came to my room to help me look. I thought I might have left them at the restaurant, but nope – just completely spaced. I appreciated the concerned help I received.

All-in-all, not bad, but I might be tempted to try another property (hopefully Hilton) in the area on my next visit.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Cortlandt Manor, New York
Reviewed October 21, 2011

A family getaway was needed, so we jumped in the car and headed to the double-tree. A great rate for a large king suite. Dinner at hotel resturant Friday night was pricey, but good. Diner is just across the street, so we had the remainder of our meals there. Saturday wedding, but the hotel did not feel crowded. Great pool! Management staff was pleasant. Would definitely stay at the Doubletree.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank ekperigin
Sleepy Hollow, New York
Reviewed October 18, 2011

We had our 50th Class Reunion for Sleepy Hollow H.S. this past weekend-Oct.15, 2011. It was a very busy place with four reunions and a wedding. Yet they were able to accommodate every ones needs. I made our plans well over a year ago with Linda Ferone & Maria Troche. They both were very helpful and easy to work with.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank shhs61
Fort Worth, TX
Reviewed October 13, 2011

The Doubletree in Tarrytown is a sprawling split-level complex from the '60s that isn't really attractive from the outside, but the room was comfortable. It was a very busy weekend during which the hotel accommodated a convention and at least one very large wedding. The staff seemed efficient and were helpful when asked for information about train service and other restaurants in the area.

I would advise anyone staying at the Doubletree to avoid the hotel restaurant due to the high cost and limited menu. We arrived on a Friday night and headed for the restaurant, but left quickly when we saw the prices. The menu was mostly high end main courses, with no sandwiches or other economical choices. There is a good diner across the street that we went to for breakfast a couple of days, and a very good Italian restaurant called "Capri" that is about a mile down the road.

We were in town to attend a family wedding at another facility, and the Doubletree was a reasonable choice. If I find myself in Tarrytown again, I would consider a stay at this hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank CT_Yank_in_TX
Hillsborough, North Carolina
Reviewed October 10, 2011

Rolling in late one night, exhausted and without reservations, my husband & checked into this hotel knowing nothing about it. It seemed to be the only hotel in the area. This is a large hotel, seemingly aimed at conventions and other large groups. The ambiance is impersonal but the front desk personnel were pleasant. Our room was large, the beds comfortable, the linens very nice. The bathroom was a bit small but adequate and clean. Then it came time to check in with my elderly parents via email (too late to call!). What's this? $4.95 daily to use the internet? When you can go to almost any other hotel and get complimentary internet use? When you can go to any McDonald, coffee house, even some entire towns and get free internet use? What century are you in, Hilton? Get with the program! (Add to this that the maid knocked on our door at 9am to see if we were ready to check out so she could clean the room! Check out is 11am. Why did she think we'd be checking out 2 hours early?)

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Genut
DoubletreeTarrytown, Director of Sales at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Tarrytown, responded to this review, October 19, 2011
Dear Genut,

Thank you for staying with us recently. We would like to apologize for not informing you that the Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Tarrytown has a 24 hour Business Center that is complimentary and offers two computers with free internet in addition to printer and fax. Outside the Business Center, our internet charge is a 50% to 60% discount when compared to local full service hotels in the area.
Our Housekeeping staff is trained to not disturb any guestroom with the “Do Not Disturb” sign on the door. At times, signs fall down or are taken by other guests. When guests are inconvenienced like this, we gladly extend a complimentary late check-out. Again, we apologize.
We hope to see you soon so we can have another opportunity to show you our true Hospitality. Please come and visit us again.
chicago
Reviewed October 5, 2011

You can do better elsewhere. There was virtually no customer service at the front desk. The maid didn't leave bath towels or coffee the first day. The second day no glasses, washcloths, coffee cups, coffee or creamer. Hotel is older and in need of renovations. The lighting in the bathroom was the worst I have ever encountered. Just tired and the staff needs some customer service training.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
London
Reviewed October 4, 2011

Great hotel to visit historic houses in the area such as Kyuit. Ground floor rooms. Welcomed with warm cookies. Coffee/tea maker in the room. Good bathroom and comfy bed. Enjoyed dinner and breakfast too. Just a pity you have to pay for the Wifi.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple