I stayed just one night and mostly because I had to be in Tarry town and I am a HH Diamond VIP – like the benefits and working to re-qualify for next year. My conference was at the Marriott nearby. Check-in was fast an efficient – although I don’t understand why the amenity water is not put in the room, and you have to juggle luggage, keys and two bottles of water up to the room. A number of Hiltons do this and I think they need to re-evaluate that. Enough other properties do it, so its clearly workable to put the water in the room. Particularly since there are steps even after you use the elevator to get to the upper floor at the back. The hotel was full, and a requested upgrade was declined. The hotel also has no executive lounge.
The room was a little stuffy and the A/C never really solved that over night. The room is a nicely renovated Hilton room, but the bathroom was definitely a relic the hotels vintage (built 1960). Its tiny and dated, but workable for one (two I don’t know – the counter space was pretty sparse for one).
My aunt, who doesn’t live far away, came to meet me for dinner. She had heard great things about the restaurant in the hotel, so we ate there. I was excited to see a fall Octoberfest like menu of German specials. I had the pork loin (“swinebrotten”) with red cabbage – which was tender and wonderful. Our waitress (although very nice) apparently had never seen the menu and had no idea what we were talking about when we ordered off of it, couldn’t really answer any questions about the menu, and had no idea what the free drink coupons given to us at check-in covered. Each question required an “I can find out” or a trip to visit with the manager. I understand being new, but being familiar (at least in passing) with the menu should probably a minimum requirement for dealing with paying guests. My aunt’s veal was really tough – which at the price was really not acceptable. Our waitress’ offered to bring her a steak knife instead of offering something else to replace it. It was only after some discussion that the manager came over, we sent the veal back, and received word that the chef also thought the recent batch of veal they got was tough (why its gets served to the customers, I don’t know). All in all, not a terrible experience, but just a modicum of training or interest in what she was doing would have gone a long way with the waitress and us. The breakfast buffet was complete forgettable – although being in the NYC area, the bagels were decent.
In the morning, I stupidly couldn’t find my rental car keys. With all the commotion and water juggling at check-in, I didn’t realize I slipped them in an outside pocket of my laptop bag which I never use. The staff was wonderful – even a front desk manager came to my room to help me look. I thought I might have left them at the restaurant, but nope – just completely spaced. I appreciated the concerned help I received.
All-in-all, not bad, but I might be tempted to try another property (hopefully Hilton) in the area on my next visit.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- TripAdvisor of Excellence Award Winner 2013 and 2012 Doubletree by Hilton Tarrytown offers visitors the perfect location to explore history, dining, shopping, nature and entertainment and do business in between. Located in Westchester County, 25 minutes north of New York City just off I-87 and I-287, the hotel is easily accessible by air, car or train. Once you arrive, this unique hotel offers comfort and convenience in a relaxed atmosphere. The indoor pool, 24 hour fitness center, Day Spa, Restaurant and Lounge, Women's sauna and men's steam room complements a perfect travel experience. Since it re-opened, the hotel has been satisfying one customer at a time. Come and see it for yourself. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Hotel.de, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Tarrytown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Doubletree By Hilton Tarrytown Hotel Tarrytown
- Tarrytown Hilton
- Doubletree By Hilton Hotel Tarrytown NY - Westchester County