Courtyard by Marriott Tarrytown Westchester County
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Tarrytown
Reviewed April 8, 2008

My stay at Courtyard Tarrytown was disappointing. I have always been satisfied with Courtyard hotels, but this one is simply not up to the standards of other Courtyards.

The staff of the hotel is indifferent. The rooms are not well maintained, the are basically clean, but worn. The room was not sufficiently stocked with towels or the other small niceties I am used to, such as the in-room shampoo (no soap, no shampoo, just a single bottle of conditioner). Some things in the room were not working properly. Early in the morning, hotel employees were working in the hallway very loudly yelling back and forth and joking about how that bank of rooms was in "no man's land." There was no elevator access to the room, only stairs. The door to the parking lot for that area of the hotel did not operate properly, so luggage had to be lugged through the hotel and down a flight of stairs.

I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled solo

Reviewed March 22, 2008

We stayed two nights and had booked 2 rooms for our party of 4 adults.The booking was made through priceline and the room cost half the price of the going rate. I had called a couple of days earlier to request non smoking rooms and the pleasant lady on the phone informed me it was a non smoking hotel. I also requested two double beds in each room and that we would be checking in late and was assured that would not be a problem. As it turned out we checked in during the day and the receptionist remarked we were early telling me that my requests were entered into the computer - a good sign. We had rooms 224 and 170. The check in was smooth; the pleasant African American female was charming and helpful and in fact gave me a list of local eateries arranged by cuisine- a very nice touch.

The rooms are of good size and have the basics. There was a working internet connection in one room but not the other. A phone call to the front desk led to being directed to a 800 number help desk. Calling the help desk was useless and once they went through the basics (is the computer plugged in?) there was nothing else they could offer. By this time I was too tired to make a fuss. The room was comfortable, the thermostat was adjustable and the room temperature stayed a comfortable 70 degrees. The showers were hot and the water pressure good. The one complaint I had was the real long walk to the elevator...clearly the elevator was an afterthought (or maybe the architect was not feeling well the day he drew up the plans) Incidentally the room did have a faint smell of cigarettes - going to show how non compliant some customers can be. I noted a good sized pool and an exercise room.We chose not to have breakfast here and instead went to NY City and tried out Bagels one day and "The Seinfeld" Diner the next.. Would recommend this hotel especially if you get discounter rates. Location is quiet and peaceful yet with easy access to I-287. It is a 25 min. drive to 125th street.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed February 12, 2008

I had a room booked at this location after staying for a week at the Westchester Marriott. I had read about the only elevator being in the back and this is true and was very annoying when checking in. When I walked in the room it just did not have that comfortable room feeling like the Marriott. Since I would be spending all week in this area I checked out and went back to the Marriott.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed September 13, 2007

Although this hotel like most others is in a commercial area, it is situated a nice distance back from the main road in a very quiet and esthetic setting. The full breakfast was great as well as two computers with free internet in the lobby. The rooms were the quality you would expect at a Courtyard. The only drawback to the hotel--the elevator is about as far from the registration desk as possible.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank GPF77
Reviewed July 23, 2007

I booked a night at the Courtyard Tarrytown last Saturday for a friend's wedding in the area. Although I only stayed one night, here's my overall review-

Location - Hotel is conveniently located right off the Tarrytown exit off 287. A 1/4 mile off the road, the hotel is in a nice wooded area.

Check-in - My check-in went smoothly as can be expected. My reservation was on file, and the room was ready when we arrived at 4pm.

Arrival to room - here is my first complaint with the hotel - it's layout. Although our room was only on the 3rd floor, and I should have (and from then on did) walk the stairs to my room, upon check-in, we were given directions to the ONLY elevator - which was on the far opposite corner of the hotel from my room. We had to walk about 5 minutes down hallways to get to the elevator, go up two floors, then walk another 5 minutes or so to get to the room. The staircases proved much more convenient for me, but to an older or handicap guest, the elevator situation is definitely an issue.

Rooms / hotel decor - The halls/room were a little dark. Dated carpets covered the floor. The bathroom looked updated, but overall the hotel looked it's age. But the room was clean, so no overall complaints.

The hotel does offer a pool/jacuzzi tub which were empty when we walked by. There was a snack bar up by reception, and no vending machines on the floors (they did have ice). Menus for local restaurants were offered for room service. The hotel does offer a brunch, which was about 1/2 full when i checked out Sunday morning.

Overall, if you need a place to stay in the area for a reasonable rate, you could do worse.. but if you needed something more long term than a night, i'd suggest you look elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank robmm22
Reviewed November 12, 2006

Good location. Clean and comfortable rooms. Staff very nice and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 30, 2006

When I arrived my room was not ready, even thought I reserved this room a week prior, and it was 4pm. After travelinhg almost 6 hours to get there, I was not thrilled to wait for the maid to finish cleaning it1

The air conditioner must have been pre-set for a high tempurature, since it was on for 5 minutes and then shut off for 10 miutes, making the room unbearably hot at night.

The buffet breakfast was not any better at $12.50. The food was cold and bland!

I read in the guest book, in the room, that if you forget any toiletries the hotel will be glad to provide them. Well, my daughter forgot her toothbush and toothpaste, to which they charged us almost $7.00 for both.

I travel up to Tarrytown three times a year, but will try the Marriott
Springhill Suites next time, it's cheaper and the breakfast is free!

Stayed: July 2006