“Truly Enjoyable Experience”

Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Tarrytown
Albany, NY
“Truly Enjoyable Experience”
Reviewed August 25, 2008

We recently stayed at the Tarrytown Sheraton for a wedding. The property was clean, the staff attentive and friendly, and the rooms large bright and very clean.

Since we had driven about 2 hrs thru NYC traffic, the smile and ease of check-in at the reception desk was most gratifying. Shortly after, we headed to the bar area for a quick meal and were greeted with the same warmth and professionalism.

During our stay we had the opportunity to frquent many of the hotel's facilities and found everything outstanding.

I would highly recommend this facility and would certainly return.

• Liked — Facility was clean, people were great
  • Disliked — $4 bottle of water
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Washington, DC
Reviewed August 18, 2008

This was the 3rd or 4th time we stayed at this hotel since it opened. The rooms are quite nice but we have noticed each time that the hotel suffers from a lack of professional management and staff. We checked in at 11 PM on a Saturday and had obtained a $119 non-refundable rate on the Starwood website. Our reservation was for a club-floor room, which we know provides no benefit when staying over the weekend since the club lounge is closed. (In fact, there is a detriment since the club floor has no public ice machine). The elevator requires a room key to be swiped for access to the club floor. (We knew this from previous stays; the desk clerk did not mention it). Our key did not work and so we returned to the front desk for the keys to be re-programmed. The key failed to work after re-programming so we returned to the front desk again. The desk clerk consulted with another staff member in re-programming the key and it worked the third time. We requested a non-adjoining room and were assured that the assigned room (614) was not adjoining. In fact, it was. When I called the front desk from the room to report this fact, the second desk clerk insisted that the room was not an adjoining room (even though I told her there was a door to the adjacent room). I accepted the room because the adjacent room was vacant. I am wondering when (if ever) this hotel will get its act together.

• Liked — Clean room and comfortable bed
  • Disliked — Staff service
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DCRE
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed July 22, 2008

This hotel is a great option for those who want to avoid the $350+ a night hotel rooms in the city. That said, Sheraton will soon be unveiling some new Four Points hotels in Soho and Brooklyn that will be closer to/in the city and more affordable. Provided the pricing is right on those new places, I would prefer to stay there, simply because the location will be closer to the subway and the city itself.

With that said, I enjoyed my stay at this hotel. There is a free shuttle service to a commuter train (very comfortable, $7 each way) that takes you directly to Grand Central Station. The train ride itself is very enjoyable- a good portion of it travels along the Hudson and you get to glimpse the stately homes built into the riverbanks, and see a side of NYC life that we don't normally get to see (charming, green suburbs!), and before you know it you're in Manhattan- well, in about 40 minutes. Seriously, it's not bad!
To return to the hotel, simply call them from a phone (they give you a card w/ the number) and they will pick you up.

The hotel itself is clean and new, with a big wooden bar area, and Italian restaurant - more on that later- a truly charming outdor patio area, and a fitness center.

Some points worth mentioning:

1) The staff were outstanding. Truly. The front desk people who helped me were gracious, kind, and very knowledgable.

2) The shuttle driver who picked me up from the train station after a long day in the city drove past me 3 times without stopping...grrrr. The hotel apologized profusely. This was a fluke incident, so don't decide to skip this place solely on that.

3) I ordered take-out from the restaurant and ate it in my room (to avoid the room service charges). It was so disappointing. After a long hot day trudging around in the city alone, I was really looking forward to a shower and a good dinner in bed. I ordered a shrimp, garlic, tomato, olive oil pasta dish. Not hard to mess that up, right? Wrong. It tasted like it had been drenched in butter, I could hardly see the tomato, and the shrimp tasted like they had been deep fried (why were they fried??) in day-old bacon grease. UGH. That said, the glass of wine I had at the bar while waiting for my food was delicious!

4) The restaurant and bar staff are also VERY friendly and accomodating. I ate my breakfast on the patio outside with my newspaper and the waiter who helped me was very friendly and patient. Also, the waiter who served me my terrible dinner was also outstanding. Same goes for the friendly bartender.

5) The fitness room was small but had a selection of cardio machines and free weights. It looks out over the very tiny, 3'8'' swimming pool. Seriously, it's pretty small and not at all deep. They do have a hot tub, but I didn't use it.

6) I am not sure what the latest train back to Tarrytown is from Grand Central Station. If it is very late, this is great, because it means you can eat dinner or go to a show in the city and then return home. If the last train back is around 6 or 7pm, this is NOT good for those who want a night out on the town, unless you drive in and park in a Manhattan lot, or pay loads for a taxi ride back.

7) My room was super clean and modern. The bed was perfect. The bed that dreams are made of. Also, lots of tv channels and a clean bathroom. No fridge of minibar snacks though.

8) The hotel itself is located in a 'corporate' section of Tarrytown. It's in a big parking lot and there are other big suburban office buildings nearby. If you want a hotel that is in a pedestrian fiendly neighborhood, this isn't it. That said, once you are inside, you don't even notice. I normally avoid locations like this, but this particular hotel isn't bad. The super charming outdoor patio area was very tastefully designed and is very green, so you can sit out there and feel like you're in a backyard.

To sum it up, I think it makes sense to stay here if you are:

a) on a tight budget
b) are here on business only
c) are in NYC or White Plains/Tarrytown for some reason other than to spend late nights out partying downtown (this was my case)

• Liked — Clean, big,
  • Disliked — Dinner was bad
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
Lake George, NY.
Reviewed July 22, 2008

We have been staying here for the last couple of years on our annual NYC trip. It is always a pleasure. Economical, clean, good vibe, great service. Free shuttle to the train station, awesome beds, flat screen TV's, great location. I will be staying there again next year, no doubt.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Dracut, MA
Reviewed July 14, 2008

Very pleased with hotel, room, and dining. The staff was pleasant and professional. Really enjoyed our stay. No complaints at all.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed June 18, 2008

Stayed here for a wedding at the Castle on the Hudson. We got the wedding block rate of $149 which is the price I would expect to pay for this type of hotel. The website had rates of $249 which would be more than the hotel is worth.

I would call this a 3 1/2 star hotel. The rooms are new and modern with a flat screen tv, just nothing extraordinary about them. The bathroom was nice size however there was no bathtub in ours.

Doubt I'll make it out to Tarrytown again - but if I did I may stay here again, may not.

• Liked — Location to the wedding, price
  • Disliked — just an average hotel
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
RIVERDALE,NY
Reviewed April 28, 2008

I stayed at the Sheraton Tarrytown for over a week and in general was very pleased with the hotel itself as well as the friendly and warm staff. The lobby is inviting and the cookies,cupcakes,water, and free magazines are an appreciated surprise. The room was comfortable and clean and contained all the little things that help to make any stay a pleasure. I was a bit disappointed in the 10 dollar charge for internet as most other hotels i've frequented do not charge for wireless access, but that is a small matter compared to most good points. The bed and the bath were both very comfortable and I have no complaints in that area. The nice flat screen television was added great aesthetic appeal to an already nice room.

However, my biggest compliment has to go to the girls at the front desk, especially Jaimy and Michelle. They are very sweet and dedicated to helping guests have a pleasant experience. The room service staff is very nice as well.

Sadly, the night staff leaves much to be desired. Oswaldo is an absolute horror to deal with, and the manager Josh is no better. They were unwilling to assist when i had an emergency when i lost my purse and therefore cancelled my credit cards. The two informed me that I would not be able to enter my room or even remove my possessions until the balance was paid off. This is after I had already been there for 1 week. And although I am a frequent guests and a Starwood Preferred Guest they refused to simply send me a bill for 3 days of my stay. I was told by a Starwood supervisor that this is easily and frequently done.

Another sore point is the fact that everyday upon my return my room keys would not work. Every single day I was forced to have the front desk reprogram the keys to give me access to the room that was already paid for. Finally, on the second to last day of my stay a woman walked into our room without knocking and to both their horror found my bf in the buff. I was a bit disappointed at that bit of unprofessionalism.

They are lucky to have the ladies at the front desk. It is because of them that i would return to this hotel.

• Liked — The Day Time Front Desk Staff Especially Michelle and Jaimy
  • Disliked — OSWALDO AND JOSH!!!!!!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tarrytown
Tarrytown House Estate on the Hudson
Courtyard Tarrytown Greenburgh
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Tarrytown
SpringHill Suites Tarrytown Greenburgh
Westchester Marriott
Westchester Marriott
#5 of 7 in Tarrytown
Hampton Inn White Plains / Tarrytown

Been to Sheraton Tarrytown Hotel? Share your experiences!