“I would come here again” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sheraton Tarrytown Hotel

Sheraton Tarrytown Hotel
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Tarrytown
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“I would come here again”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2008

This hotel is a great option for those who want to avoid the $350+ a night hotel rooms in the city. That said, Sheraton will soon be unveiling some new Four Points hotels in Soho and Brooklyn that will be closer to/in the city and more affordable. Provided the pricing is right on those new places, I would prefer to stay there, simply because the location will be closer to the subway and the city itself.

With that said, I enjoyed my stay at this hotel. There is a free shuttle service to a commuter train (very comfortable, $7 each way) that takes you directly to Grand Central Station. The train ride itself is very enjoyable- a good portion of it travels along the Hudson and you get to glimpse the stately homes built into the riverbanks, and see a side of NYC life that we don't normally get to see (charming, green suburbs!), and before you know it you're in Manhattan- well, in about 40 minutes. Seriously, it's not bad!
To return to the hotel, simply call them from a phone (they give you a card w/ the number) and they will pick you up.

The hotel itself is clean and new, with a big wooden bar area, and Italian restaurant - more on that later- a truly charming outdor patio area, and a fitness center.

Some points worth mentioning:

1) The staff were outstanding. Truly. The front desk people who helped me were gracious, kind, and very knowledgable.

2) The shuttle driver who picked me up from the train station after a long day in the city drove past me 3 times without stopping...grrrr. The hotel apologized profusely. This was a fluke incident, so don't decide to skip this place solely on that.

3) I ordered take-out from the restaurant and ate it in my room (to avoid the room service charges). It was so disappointing. After a long hot day trudging around in the city alone, I was really looking forward to a shower and a good dinner in bed. I ordered a shrimp, garlic, tomato, olive oil pasta dish. Not hard to mess that up, right? Wrong. It tasted like it had been drenched in butter, I could hardly see the tomato, and the shrimp tasted like they had been deep fried (why were they fried??) in day-old bacon grease. UGH. That said, the glass of wine I had at the bar while waiting for my food was delicious!

4) The restaurant and bar staff are also VERY friendly and accomodating. I ate my breakfast on the patio outside with my newspaper and the waiter who helped me was very friendly and patient. Also, the waiter who served me my terrible dinner was also outstanding. Same goes for the friendly bartender.

5) The fitness room was small but had a selection of cardio machines and free weights. It looks out over the very tiny, 3'8'' swimming pool. Seriously, it's pretty small and not at all deep. They do have a hot tub, but I didn't use it.

6) I am not sure what the latest train back to Tarrytown is from Grand Central Station. If it is very late, this is great, because it means you can eat dinner or go to a show in the city and then return home. If the last train back is around 6 or 7pm, this is NOT good for those who want a night out on the town, unless you drive in and park in a Manhattan lot, or pay loads for a taxi ride back.

7) My room was super clean and modern. The bed was perfect. The bed that dreams are made of. Also, lots of tv channels and a clean bathroom. No fridge of minibar snacks though.

8) The hotel itself is located in a 'corporate' section of Tarrytown. It's in a big parking lot and there are other big suburban office buildings nearby. If you want a hotel that is in a pedestrian fiendly neighborhood, this isn't it. That said, once you are inside, you don't even notice. I normally avoid locations like this, but this particular hotel isn't bad. The super charming outdoor patio area was very tastefully designed and is very green, so you can sit out there and feel like you're in a backyard.

To sum it up, I think it makes sense to stay here if you are:

a) on a tight budget
b) are here on business only
c) are in NYC or White Plains/Tarrytown for some reason other than to spend late nights out partying downtown (this was my case)

• Liked — Clean, big,
  • Disliked — Dinner was bad
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Lake George, NY.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2008

We have been staying here for the last couple of years on our annual NYC trip. It is always a pleasure. Economical, clean, good vibe, great service. Free shuttle to the train station, awesome beds, flat screen TV's, great location. I will be staying there again next year, no doubt.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Dracut, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2008

Very pleased with hotel, room, and dining. The staff was pleasant and professional. Really enjoyed our stay. No complaints at all.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2008

Stayed here for a wedding at the Castle on the Hudson. We got the wedding block rate of $149 which is the price I would expect to pay for this type of hotel. The website had rates of $249 which would be more than the hotel is worth.

I would call this a 3 1/2 star hotel. The rooms are new and modern with a flat screen tv, just nothing extraordinary about them. The bathroom was nice size however there was no bathtub in ours.

Doubt I'll make it out to Tarrytown again - but if I did I may stay here again, may not.

• Liked — Location to the wedding, price
  • Disliked — just an average hotel
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
RIVERDALE,NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2008

I stayed at the Sheraton Tarrytown for over a week and in general was very pleased with the hotel itself as well as the friendly and warm staff. The lobby is inviting and the cookies,cupcakes,water, and free magazines are an appreciated surprise. The room was comfortable and clean and contained all the little things that help to make any stay a pleasure. I was a bit disappointed in the 10 dollar charge for internet as most other hotels i've frequented do not charge for wireless access, but that is a small matter compared to most good points. The bed and the bath were both very comfortable and I have no complaints in that area. The nice flat screen television was added great aesthetic appeal to an already nice room.

However, my biggest compliment has to go to the girls at the front desk, especially Jaimy and Michelle. They are very sweet and dedicated to helping guests have a pleasant experience. The room service staff is very nice as well.

Sadly, the night staff leaves much to be desired. Oswaldo is an absolute horror to deal with, and the manager Josh is no better. They were unwilling to assist when i had an emergency when i lost my purse and therefore cancelled my credit cards. The two informed me that I would not be able to enter my room or even remove my possessions until the balance was paid off. This is after I had already been there for 1 week. And although I am a frequent guests and a Starwood Preferred Guest they refused to simply send me a bill for 3 days of my stay. I was told by a Starwood supervisor that this is easily and frequently done.

Another sore point is the fact that everyday upon my return my room keys would not work. Every single day I was forced to have the front desk reprogram the keys to give me access to the room that was already paid for. Finally, on the second to last day of my stay a woman walked into our room without knocking and to both their horror found my bf in the buff. I was a bit disappointed at that bit of unprofessionalism.

They are lucky to have the ladies at the front desk. It is because of them that i would return to this hotel.

• Liked — The Day Time Front Desk Staff Especially Michelle and Jaimy
  • Disliked — OSWALDO AND JOSH!!!!!!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2008

We were extremely disappointed with the service this time around at the Sheraton Tarrytown. When we arrived at 10:30PM, there was a queue at the front desk, so we decided to use the new fancy kiosk in the lobby that invitingly displayed, "Why wait in line?" Well why indeed? The touchscreen performance was sluggish and it took a very looong time for the keys to come out of the slot. When they did, the kiosk failed to inform us of our room number, so we had to get back in line anyway! I was checking in with my partner, and the receptionist asked four times, very loudly, if we were staying in the same room with a single king bed, something I would expect if we were in Mississippi, but not Westchester County, NY.

The room was clean and spacious as we remembered from when we stayed here shortly after the hotel opened. Remembering the fruit bowl and and abundant selection of freshly-brewed-throughout-the-day coffees in the lounge on the Club Floor, I specifically requested a Club Floor room. This time, there was no fruit, no coffee, no continental breakfast, nothing. I had to scavenge the Club Pantry for bananas. Do not be deceived by the marketing of the Club Floor, friends: there are no hors d'ouvres and no cocktails. I was lucky to find a decaf tea bag and a packet of Equal.

The following criticism is for most hotel chains, but please hear me: WIRELESS BROADBAND ACCESS SHOULD BE COMPLIMENTARY FOR PREFERRED GUESTS. SERIOUSLY. This $15/day charge for a slow wireless connection has got to stop.

The hot water in the shower was probably the most maddening annoyance of all. It cycled from freezing cold to genital-scalding hot every 15 seconds and never stabilized. Very unfortunate.

Since there was nothing in the Club Lounge, we went down for breakfast in the lobby--granted, at 10:30, just before the end of breakfast--where we were charged another $15 each for stale bagels and whatever else was leftover in the squeaky warming pots; a smattering of rubbery eggs and some shriveled sausages. Crumbs were strewn everywhere. There was no orange juice. The wait staff made it clear that he was irritated with our patronage.

On the upside: the fitness room and pool in this hotel is great.

Clearly when we stayed at the Sheraton the first time, just after the opening last year, the corporate staff was running the place, doing their darndest to establish a fine reputation. We had a fantastic stay. It is amazing to me how quickly this lovely hotel has fallen into disarray. Next time we take a long weekend to visit our friends in Tarrytown, we'll take our business to the newly-renovated Doubletree.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank David C
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2008

After a number of stays at this property, there were enough annoyances during my last visit to merit comment. My club-level, presumably non smoking room had a strong smell of cleaning spray that may have been used to mask smoke odor. The roll-down black out window shade would neither roll all the way up or all the way down. The bedside clock radio was set at the wrong time, with no way to adjust. Nothing fatal really but given the price and supposed quality of the property, not good. I'll look for an alternative, most likely the new White Plains RItz Carlton which has been highly recommended by colleagues from work.

Stayed January 2008