“Top Notch”

Sheraton Tarrytown Hotel
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Tarrytown
Reviewed July 22, 2008

We have been staying here for the last couple of years on our annual NYC trip. It is always a pleasure. Economical, clean, good vibe, great service. Free shuttle to the train station, awesome beds, flat screen TV's, great location. I will be staying there again next year, no doubt.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family

Reviewed July 14, 2008

Very pleased with hotel, room, and dining. The staff was pleasant and professional. Really enjoyed our stay. No complaints at all.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 18, 2008

Stayed here for a wedding at the Castle on the Hudson. We got the wedding block rate of $149 which is the price I would expect to pay for this type of hotel. The website had rates of $249 which would be more than the hotel is worth.

I would call this a 3 1/2 star hotel. The rooms are new and modern with a flat screen tv, just nothing extraordinary about them. The bathroom was nice size however there was no bathtub in ours.

Doubt I'll make it out to Tarrytown again - but if I did I may stay here again, may not.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 28, 2008

I stayed at the Sheraton Tarrytown for over a week and in general was very pleased with the hotel itself as well as the friendly and warm staff. The lobby is inviting and the cookies,cupcakes,water, and free magazines are an appreciated surprise. The room was comfortable and clean and contained all the little things that help to make any stay a pleasure. I was a bit disappointed in the 10 dollar charge for internet as most other hotels i've frequented do not charge for wireless access, but that is a small matter compared to most good points. The bed and the bath were both very comfortable and I have no complaints in that area. The nice flat screen television was added great aesthetic appeal to an already nice room.

However, my biggest compliment has to go to the girls at the front desk, especially Jaimy and Michelle. They are very sweet and dedicated to helping guests have a pleasant experience. The room service staff is very nice as well.

Sadly, the night staff leaves much to be desired. Oswaldo is an absolute horror to deal with, and the manager Josh is no better. They were unwilling to assist when i had an emergency when i lost my purse and therefore cancelled my credit cards. The two informed me that I would not be able to enter my room or even remove my possessions until the balance was paid off. This is after I had already been there for 1 week. And although I am a frequent guests and a Starwood Preferred Guest they refused to simply send me a bill for 3 days of my stay. I was told by a Starwood supervisor that this is easily and frequently done.

Another sore point is the fact that everyday upon my return my room keys would not work. Every single day I was forced to have the front desk reprogram the keys to give me access to the room that was already paid for. Finally, on the second to last day of my stay a woman walked into our room without knocking and to both their horror found my bf in the buff. I was a bit disappointed at that bit of unprofessionalism.

They are lucky to have the ladies at the front desk. It is because of them that i would return to this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 11, 2008

We were extremely disappointed with the service this time around at the Sheraton Tarrytown. When we arrived at 10:30PM, there was a queue at the front desk, so we decided to use the new fancy kiosk in the lobby that invitingly displayed, "Why wait in line?" Well why indeed? The touchscreen performance was sluggish and it took a very looong time for the keys to come out of the slot. When they did, the kiosk failed to inform us of our room number, so we had to get back in line anyway! I was checking in with my partner, and the receptionist asked four times, very loudly, if we were staying in the same room with a single king bed, something I would expect if we were in Mississippi, but not Westchester County, NY.

The room was clean and spacious as we remembered from when we stayed here shortly after the hotel opened. Remembering the fruit bowl and and abundant selection of freshly-brewed-throughout-the-day coffees in the lounge on the Club Floor, I specifically requested a Club Floor room. This time, there was no fruit, no coffee, no continental breakfast, nothing. I had to scavenge the Club Pantry for bananas. Do not be deceived by the marketing of the Club Floor, friends: there are no hors d'ouvres and no cocktails. I was lucky to find a decaf tea bag and a packet of Equal.

The following criticism is for most hotel chains, but please hear me: WIRELESS BROADBAND ACCESS SHOULD BE COMPLIMENTARY FOR PREFERRED GUESTS. SERIOUSLY. This $15/day charge for a slow wireless connection has got to stop.

The hot water in the shower was probably the most maddening annoyance of all. It cycled from freezing cold to genital-scalding hot every 15 seconds and never stabilized. Very unfortunate.

Since there was nothing in the Club Lounge, we went down for breakfast in the lobby--granted, at 10:30, just before the end of breakfast--where we were charged another $15 each for stale bagels and whatever else was leftover in the squeaky warming pots; a smattering of rubbery eggs and some shriveled sausages. Crumbs were strewn everywhere. There was no orange juice. The wait staff made it clear that he was irritated with our patronage.

On the upside: the fitness room and pool in this hotel is great.

Clearly when we stayed at the Sheraton the first time, just after the opening last year, the corporate staff was running the place, doing their darndest to establish a fine reputation. We had a fantastic stay. It is amazing to me how quickly this lovely hotel has fallen into disarray. Next time we take a long weekend to visit our friends in Tarrytown, we'll take our business to the newly-renovated Doubletree.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank David C
Reviewed January 19, 2008

After a number of stays at this property, there were enough annoyances during my last visit to merit comment. My club-level, presumably non smoking room had a strong smell of cleaning spray that may have been used to mask smoke odor. The roll-down black out window shade would neither roll all the way up or all the way down. The bedside clock radio was set at the wrong time, with no way to adjust. Nothing fatal really but given the price and supposed quality of the property, not good. I'll look for an alternative, most likely the new White Plains RItz Carlton which has been highly recommended by colleagues from work.

Stayed: January 2008
Reviewed January 18, 2008

The Sheraton in Tarrytown is one of the first SPG hotels in Westchester, which is odd since the SPG corp is based in Westchester, New York. The hotel is less then a year old, and is very comfortable. The lobby bar is a very relaxed scene, perfect for business people looking for a quiet time sipping a good beer or some scotch from their above average selection while watching football next to the lobby fireplace (which works). The staff is great, and went above and beyond to make sure the VIP group I was coordinating was comfortable. This is by far the nicest hotel in the area (much better then the Marriot it shares a parking lot with or Hilton down the road). An actual four star business hotel.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank Jordan H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tarrytown
Tarrytown House Estate on the Hudson
Courtyard by Marriott Tarrytown Westchester County
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Tarrytown
Westchester Marriott
Westchester Marriott
#5 of 7 in Tarrytown
SpringHill Suites Tarrytown Greenburgh
Hampton Inn White Plains / Tarrytown

Been to Sheraton Tarrytown Hotel? Share your experiences!