“Nice place to stay in Tarrytown, eat elsewhere”

Sheraton Tarrytown Hotel
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Tarrytown
NJ
“Nice place to stay in Tarrytown, eat elsewhere”
Reviewed September 1, 2011

The hotel was clean and modern, and I found my room (standard king size bed) very spacious. Bedding and temp controls were good, although towels could have been less rough. The shower was large with good water pressure, but there was no bathtub. There was a new looking flat screen TV on the wall, but I didn't use it.

"High speed" internet connection was included in my package, but after many tries I could not get it to work. Front desk said they were having problems and gave me their ID- which was incredibly slow. The family next store was literally continuously screaming (father and kids seemed to be playing a screaming game), but finally stopped at 12:15 a.m. I figured they might have been evacuees from hurricane Irene and let it slide, so I don't know how the front desk might have handled it. You could hear them easily, but I assume they were unusually loud.

Where this place really falls down is the restaurant. The dinner was at best mediocre. Not sure how you can cook an angus burger medium rare with no juice or flavor. I had a coupon good for two glasses of wine (any wine by the glass, which was nice), but they brought me one glass and took the coupon so I could not use it for the bar later on in the evening if I wanted. Nobody returned to offer water or anything else until the end of the meal.

The buffet breakfast included in the package was very poor. (They have other items from the kitchen, but it is not included). I even asked one of the other guests if this was it, and his answer was "sad, isn't it?" The only hot item was some lukewarm oatmeal. There was a toaster to heat up stale bagels. No eggs or meats of any type. No nonfat milk, yogurt, etc. No waffle maker (not even premade waffles for the toaster!) This is not a breakfast buffet that one would expect at a full scale hotel. I suggest the manager stop in at a Holiday Inn Express or similar and copy some ideas from their free breakfast. They bring juice and coffee to the table, but I finally gave up on a coffee refill and bought some on the Parkway.

This is a nice hotel, but the restaurant needs to lose its "captive audience' attitude and food quality.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank DestinationMoon
sheratontarrytown, Sales Manager at Sheraton Tarrytown Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2011
Hello Destination Moon,
Thank you for your detailed review of the hotel. Though it seems you had a very unpleasant stay, you were still fair in your rating. I apologize for the noise from the other guests. We would have been happy to change your room or notify your neighbors to tone down the noise had we known. Our Desk Staff is very good at controlling noise issues, and we could have made your stay more enjoyable. In the future, please do not hesitate to notify us, as you are a valued guest all the same.

I apologize for the lack of service in the restaurant. During the week, we have a continental buffet as our hotel is mainly corporate. The corporate travelers tend to grab something quick on their way out. I am sorry that the buffet may not have been quickly replenished due to the high, unexpected flow of guests from the hurricane. We always have fresh fruit, yogurt, assortment of milk, and all the cold breakfast foods on our Continental Buffet. I apologize that you booked the Storm Package for during the week and could not experience our weekend buffet, which is more complete and geared toward our weekend guests.

I will relay your suggestions and comments to the Restaurant. I hope that you will give us a chance to redeem ourselves! The storm was no reason for us to miss a step, and I can assure you, we will work on it!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
SUDBURY
Reviewed August 15, 2011

Recently stayed two nights. The hotel is as nice as the website picture and was very convenient for our stay.
The room was clean and comfortable. The bathroom doors have frosted glass and a large enough crack between the two swing doors - not a whole lot of privacy.
The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful with directions and recommendations.
Only a couple of of drawbacks - wi-fi is not included and is $10.00 per day - I've stayed at alot of hotels (am a Starwoods member) and this is usually included. We had lunch at the restaurant and it was great but the breakfast buffet is $16 and is not worth the money.
In conclusion, this is a very nice hotel with great staff and we would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Canadian-flyer-21
sheratontarrytown, Sales Manager at Sheraton Tarrytown Hotel, responded to this review, August 17, 2011
Dear Canadian-flyer-21,
We appreciate your pleasant review. I will be sure to share your comments with the desk staff as well as the restaurant. You mentioned that our buffet breakfast was not worth the money. I appreciate your honesty. What types of things would you have hoped to see included? I would love to hear your thoughts to help us improve.

Thank you, again, for your review. I look forward to hearing from you and hope to see you at the hotel soon! Have a great rest of the summer!
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed August 9, 2011

the employees very helful , but they put water on the room... if u drink the water u have to paid for that . i drink the 2 bottles of water and they charge me for it... well i understand u have to paid for everything but put signs on it and the ppl will know is not comp....just want to say thanks the ppl on frondesk for all your help... specially the lady who work at night the one who speak spanish i dont remember her name.... she was very helpful ... but the only bad thing was the water i don't recommend to the hotel to put water on the rooms cuz the ppl think is free. is ridiculous....

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
sheratontarrytown, Sales Manager at Sheraton Tarrytown Hotel, responded to this review, August 10, 2011
Dear Perdomo73,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am glad that our staff made a memorable impression on you! I will be sure to give a special "thank you" to our desk staff. You gave a wonderful review, and I am saddened that you will never come back again. I apologize that you did not see the water tags on the bottles. I hope you were able to help yourself to the complimentary bottled water we hand out in the lobby. Please let us know the next time you are in town. I would hate for a bottle of water to be the reason you do not stay with us again! As you can see from our staff, we strive towards outstanding customer service and feel that is important.

We hope you stay with us again. Thank you! Enjoy the rest of your summer!
Tarrytown, New York
Reviewed August 9, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel multiple times over the past few months and continue to receive consistent and excellent service. The employees are extremely hospitable and have made every stay a great experience. I have no hesitation recommending 5 stars!

Room Tip: The hotel shuttle provides rides to great local restaurants in the area
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Hello RoadWarrior295,
We appreciate your amazing review! It is always good to hear from our "regulars," and we take pride knowing that we can still make an impression. I understand that you have many choices while conducting business in Tarrytown and am grateful that you have continued to stay with us!

If you haven't done so already, please sign up for our SPG Program. You will be able to acrue points towards free stays! We look forward to your next stay! Safe travels!
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed August 9, 2011

The entire staff is so friendly. I travel to this hotel almost weekly for business and will be bringing my family back for a vacation in December. They make me feel at home from the moment I enter until the moment I leave. I have never met a more knowledgable and capable hotel staff!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Dear Kelly P,
Thank you for your incredible review! Our staff works so hard to create great experiences. I am glad to hear that it is appreciated! We love having you as a guest and look forward to your next visit to Tarrytown!

Safe travels!
McHenry, Illinois
Reviewed August 9, 2011

The service and staff are exceptional. We have a group of us that stay every week for business and the hotel treats us exceptionally well. I would highly recommend staying if you have the option.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Hello Tim S,
I am glad to hear that you enjoy staying with us! We like to create a home away from home feeling and see that you appreciate it! I thank you and your colleagues for staying with us week after week. It is always a pleasure!

Thank you, again! We will see you next week!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 24, 2011

I'll start with the positives about this Sheraton, which overall, is a great hotel. Better than most other Sheratons I have stayed at. Check-in was fast, and the lobby was nice - felt like someone's living room. There was a table next to the check-in desk with complimentary lemonade and candy, which was a nice touch. The room was spacious and very clean, decorated like a traditional country club with plaid (yet somehow tasteful) wallpaper. The desk was probably the biggest desk I have ever seen in a hotel without taking up too much room, which would be good for those traveling on business. Clean and incredibly comfortable bedding. The bathroom was also fairly spacious and spotless. Standing shower, no tub.

Onto the negatives. A small negative was no fridge in the room. Now the BIG one was that we had the 'Please do not disturb' sign hung outside our door. At 10am, we heard a quick knock on our door but no accompanying voice (ie 'housekeeping'). As I started walking towards the door to open it, the housekeeping lady opened the door herself and was shocked to see someone was in the room. I don't know why housekeeping was in such a rush to enter our room when check-out wasn't for another 2 hours, and because we had the do not disturb sign hanging outside. This is a HUGE flaw, in my opinion. I didn't bother bringing the issue up with the staff because I checked out on the TV in the room after seeing that the front desk check-out line was too long. Such a shame because the Sheraton Tarrytown is otherwise a lovely hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
sheratontarrytown, Sales Manager at Sheraton Tarrytown Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2011
Dear TravelGrlNY,
We really appreciate your honest review. Even though you had a poor experience, you took the time to list positives as well. We appreciate that!!

As for the negatives... I want to apologize on behalf of the entire team for the housekeeping incident. As we continue to strive for excellence and create positively memorable experiences, situations such as yours hit us hard. We understand the inconvenience this caused you, as we all appreciate our privacy and the right to stay in the room until check out. I apologize deeply if housekeeping made you feel rushed in any way. We have spoken with the team to ensure they understand proper procedure with regards to "do not disturb" signs.

Please do not let this discourage you from giving us another shot. Please feel free to call me directly for your next reservation.

I apologize, again, and hope to see you in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tarrytown
Courtyard Tarrytown Greenburgh
Tarrytown House Estate on the Hudson
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Tarrytown
SpringHill Suites Tarrytown Greenburgh
Westchester Marriott
Westchester Marriott
#5 of 7 in Tarrytown
Hampton Inn White Plains / Tarrytown

Been to Sheraton Tarrytown Hotel? Share your experiences!