“Dining in a Castle - Classic Service and Great Presentation”
Review of Equus Restaurant

Equus Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Equus Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 64 Restaurants in Tarrytown
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Description: Situated on sprawling hilltop acres overlooking the Hudson River, the main tower of Castle Hotel & Spa forms the highest point in Westchester County. Castle Hotel & Spa is a medieval-style structure that was meticulously transformed into a luxury hotel, offering guests royal-quality service, luxurious guestrooms, and the award-winning Equus restaurant which features Auberge-style, natural French-inspired cuisine. The luxurious new THANN™ Sanctuary Spa is an oasis of peace and tranquility where a holistic treatment approach aims to rediscover inner physical and mental wellness. Only 25 miles north of Manhattan, Castle Hotel & Spa opened as a luxury hotel in 1997; 16 years after being designated a historic landmark.
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Dinner in a Castle (sure it's only a 100 years old but still) can’t be beat! They really know how to serve (with server actually glancing at your!! table as they pass you on the way to other tables-outstanding).
Our Chop salad was presented in such a way (I'll leave it to you to discover) that at first glance I didn't know what it was!?!? Delicious and fresh.

Had the Duo (short ribs prepared for 48 hours and superb sirloin thinly slice -I preferred the latter) and the Chicken with berry Risossoto (had a phenomenal smoky and delicate taste).

Coffee was good as well as the Hazelnut desert (can't quite remember the details of the desert as I was blown away with the main course).

Clientele was a bit snobbish for my taste but the staff was exceptional. Special Kudos to Michael and of course Milton!

If you want a special romantic dining experience this is the best in the area!!

Reviewed November 12, 2013

(1) Equus lost my open table reservation - had to show them the email on my mobile.

(2) My colleague called and sent my wife and I a bottle of champagne, they never delivered it to my table.

(3) Went to leave, they gave me the wrong coats.

(4) I wrote them a nice email explaining these shortcomings, and, two days later still no response.

Based on this, I'd say it's a good choice for those seeking disappointment, calamity, mistake and failure. Short of that, the ambiance is nice, and food service is exemplary.

No one goes here for the actual food.

1  Thank Rufus100
Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

I've always wanted to eat at The Castle but I worried it might be too pretentious. I was wrong ! It was a fantastic night. The staff greeted us at the door with a smile and made us feel welcomed as they sat us at a lovely table. The dining rooms are comfortable and cozy while still appear impressive. The serving staff were very nice, helpful and surprisingly down to earth . The food was delicious. They sent out a complimentary vegetable soup sample that tasted great- and I don't normally like veg soup! We had the venison and fluke. Both were very good although I wasn't a fan of the pomegranates around the fluke. Dessert was amazing. Chocolate mouse cake was light and delicious. The apple and hazelnut was one of the best desserts my husband ever had. After dinner we sat by the fireplace. We were very impressed with Equus and can't wait to go back. They even have a tasters menu for $95 that allow you to sample an appetizer, something from the sea, land and a dessert.

1  Thank KCW21
Reviewed October 15, 2013

A very special meal for a very special occasion...we started with drinks on the patio, watching the sun set. Then on to a really great meal, from appetizer to dessert. Very attentive staff, too. The only thing odd was that reservations were very limited, but the place was more than half empty throughout our entire meal.

When we finished our meal, the staff was kind enough to show us around the castle...very nice!

Reviewed October 14, 2013

I'm always saddened to read bad reviews of a place like this. To be honest, I have to wonder what the person writing it must've brought with them to create a bad time at Equus.

It is simply the finest high-class dining facility in Westchester. There's really no place else like it.

Over the years I have had some of the best dining experiences (not just meals) I have ever had at Equus. I have also NEVER had a bad experience there, from the valet apologizing for almost stalling my car (but he didn't) to the wait staff to the bar and the food.

It isn't cheap. There's no place like this that is. And that's as it should be. This isn't some country club restaurant - it's a fine dining (and staying) property. I have had numerous birthday, anniversary and other celebratory meals here and never regretted choosing Equus once. And I'll go there again. I would note that the condition of the property and the views available from it are unmatched in the county. If what you're looking for is a 1st class evening out (and you really know what that is...) you cannot and will not go wrong here. Unless that's your intention. And if that's the case, you have my sympathies.

1  Thank spiritof67