“Best paella and mariscada in at least the tri-state area.”
Review of Caravela - CLOSED

Cuisines: Brazilian, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 26, 2012

My wife and I have been going to Caravela since it opened more than 25 years ago, and have had many great meals there.

The owner, Fernando Cabral is very careful that all meals are beautifully presented and very well prepared.

He is friendly, though busy making the restaurant work, and has had some staff turnover.

There are newer reviews for Caravela

Reviewed November 10, 2012

From what I've heard this place was supposed to be legendary. For my first visit I was shocked in that the service was awful (our waiter abandoned us). They never mentioned the Restaurant Week menu and when we asked for it, the waiter looked really disappointed and that is when he abandoned us. No one asked to refill our drinks or if everything was OK. The waiter never came back at all until we finally caught him to get the check. He handed it over but did not look happy. If anyone should not be happy it should be us.

What was even more disappointing was the food. I heard this place had really good food but it was far from it. My wife's salad was part wilted, my mussels tasted rotten and very fishy. The paella was ultra-salty as well. All in all service and food were bad. We will not be going back to this place. What a shame.

1  Thank purpelnoon
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Arrived at this restaurant after reviewing it online. Proximity to our Theater was good. Ambiance was nice, although the tables are very close and you can hear the conversation from the next table clearly. We arrived at 6 pm. Menus were given to us. We ordered around 6:15 pm...salads and main courses. It took 45 minutes for our salad to arrive. After another 30 minutes, we had to "remind" the wife of the owner that we had Theater so to please see where our main courses were! In about 10 minutes these were brought to us. The salad dishes, bread and butter dishes and other dishes used were sitting on the table in a pile and we had to ask the staff to remove them. Water glasses were never refilled without asking and nobody cleared our dinner dishes either, although it was clear that we were finished eating. The food was good, but we would never return due to the service!!

2  Thank Laurie S
Reviewed September 28, 2012

The atmosphere is rather dark and the chairs a little uncomfortable. The place could use some thought into making it more comfortable. The owner seems grumpy. My family has been loyaly eating here for over 15 years, but I have found the spirit to be a little sad. The staff could be more attentive. There is a lack of enthusiasm.

2  Thank tripsing
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We ate here a few times. Each time I was disappointed and have not gone back. The prices are high and the food was very ordinary.
The place is nice and the service is fine. Only the food doesn't justify the high prices.

3  Thank lara p