Ruth's Chris Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 64 Restaurants in Tarrytown
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Route 119
Description: Ruth's Chris Steak House in Tarrytown, NY serves the finest USDA Prime beef available, broiled at 1,800° and served on 500° plates, so your steak stays hot, juicy and delicious from first bite to last. Enjoy our New Orleans-inspired appetizers, USDA Prime steaks, fresh seafood, signature side dishes and homemade desserts. All this while you enjoy our warm, inviting atmosphere and Ruth’s Chris’ genuine hospitality. So whether you’re a regular or have just been wondering what all the buzz is about, Ruth's Chris is the perfect excuse to enjoy the perfect night out. Dinner is served nightly, reservations are suggested and private dining and offsite catering may be arranged.
Reviewed August 21, 2011

I usually don't write restaurant reviews because I know they can have their off days but the experience we had at the Ruth's Chris in Tarrytown deserved a review.

My wife and I arrived for an 8:30 pm reservation at about 8:20 pm and were seated right away. We were put at a table for two in the middle of the room all the way in the back of the restaurant..... it kind of felt like the table was an after thought when they wanted to squeeze a few more people in, and we sure felt like we were an after thought. We were seated next to a table of eight which was being served by the same server.

Our server greeted us quickly and left without leaving menus or taking drink orders. She returned about 10 minutes later to leave menus and take a drink order. I ordered a mixed drink and an iced tea...... ten minutes later the mixed drink arrived without the iced tea, our server said it was still brewing. A few minutes later the iced tea arrived but we were still waiting for bread. We had to ask other servers twice for bread. The bread finally arrived but without butter and it was another chore tracking down our server to get butter.

We ordered appetizers at the same time as the drinks, the stuffed mushrooms and the BBQ Shrimp. The mushrooms were not cooked enough and the BBQ shrimp was actually shrimp with a pink vodka sauce on it, nothing like described on the menu. About 15 minutes after our appetizers were cleared our server appeared and asked if we'd like to see a dessert menu. We told her we hadn't eaten yet and she scurried off to find out what the delay was. A short time later our steaks arrived. We both had filet mignon prepared medium rare. My wife's steak was cooked perfectly while mine was more medium/medium well. We also had the broiled tomatoes, sauteed mushrooms, and tempura onion rings. The tomatoes and mushrooms were prepared nicely while the tempura onion rings were soggy.

Halfway through dinner I asked for a refill on the iced tea which did not arrive until long after we had finished the meal. Our server blamed it on another server who "was supposed to help while she took another order".

For dessert we split a chocolate lava cake which was good but not nearly worth the price. It was the same thing you can buy frozen in Sam's club. My wife had cappuccino which arrived at the table cold. She sent it back and the second one arrived luke warm.

The entire time we were there our server was fawning over the table of eight next to us because, and I'm summising here, there was a bigger tip coming from that table. Much like our table appeared to be an after thought our presence there seemed to be an after thought. I asked to see the manager before we left and finaly got tired of waiting. Meanwhile, during our meal, we saw the manager appear at the table of 8 and another table of 6 in the same room just to see how things were. Needless to say we won't return to this particular restaurant and will have a hard time justifying our return to any Ruth's Chris just as a matter of principle. While I don't mind paying for a good meal I had a hard time paying $199.00 for the experience we had. I tipped 15% instead of my usual 20% and after leaving whished I had even gone to 10%. Overall I was very displeased with our experience but we'll have another anniversary next year.

1  Thank poncherello1

Reviewed June 28, 2011

This was my third visit to this particular restaurant, and so far they're 3 for 3. We went on an early Saturday evening, with a 6:30 reservation, and were seated almost immediately. The hostesses are two young women who are friendly and congenial. But...when you get down to it, it's all about the steaks. We ordered two filet mignons (regular & petite). I like mine medium well, and my girlfriend likes it "black & blue" (charred on the outside, very rare inside). Apparently the waitress was not familiar with this term, and her steak had to go back for re-cooking. No problem....and they were very nice about it. The only thing I don't like is that for medium well (charred outside, just a hint of pink in the very center), they butterfly the filet, which in my opinion takes away from the presentation of a fine piece of meat. Perhaps it's because of their unique cooking method (which I think uses temperatures found on the surface of the Sun), and may make for difficult control over done-ness with a medium well. Anyways, meat was near perfect and tasty. I order bearnaise sauce on the side for my meat. Their sauce is good but has a strong hint of Dijon mustard in it, which is not part of any recipe that I'm familiar with. For the sides we ordered Lyonnaise potatoes, and the shoestring fries. Both of these are excellent; highly recommended, and in my opinion they could have a hell of a side business just selling these as take-out. The fries are super thin and crispy hot, but not crunchy, and are lightly salted....the best. Lyonnaise potatoes are done just right with the flavor of onions suffused throughout the potatoes, and just the right amount of grease, for an artery clogging taste treat. The manager stopped by our table a couple of times to check on our satisfaction after the one steak was sent back, just to make sure everything was OK. My girlfriend had mentioned while making reservations that it was our 10th anniversary together, and they gave us a desert gratis consisting of vanilla ice cream, vanilla custard, and a small fruit-chocolate tart, which was a nice touch. I have noticed on all my visits though that, the rooms can get a bit noisy if they're full......hey, but it's a steakhouse. Dinner for two with drinks was $131.00, with a 20% tip brought the total to $157.00. Bottom line- recommended.

Reviewed June 12, 2011

I've been to this Ruth Chris for my graduation, my entire family was there.
It was my first time here, a friend of mine suggested it, so we tried it.
People, the meat is spectacular. I got a rib eye, and it was the best meat of my entire life. I am serious, it was amazing. I couldn't believe I didn't even know this place!
Since then, we try to go as often as we can.
the service was very friendly and nice, and even the sides (I've got mushrooms) were very good.
If you like meat (and have some money to spend on it) give it a try. It was a pleasant surprise.

Reviewed May 11, 2011

This is the second time I've had a really underwhelming experience at this particular Ruth's Chris, along with another one in Durham NC (you'd think I'd learn--but I'd had good experiences with this chain in the past). The wine by the glass was skimpy. The a la carte salad was sparse and limp -- really pathetic looking for a supposed high-end place. And the filet (while tasty) was cool all over; I ordered it rare but that doesn't mean the entire thing should be cool! I think it was sitting waiting for delivery too long in the kitchen. This would also explain the half-melted ice cream that was part of my dessert. And I heard one waiter loudly say "I'm done!" as he was talking to a colleague--the morale seems low here. I've finally learned my lesson.

1  Thank Incisive_Idiot
Reviewed March 20, 2011

My wife and I went here during restaurant week, so they offered a 3 course meal for a fixed price. What a great deal, salad or soup, entree and dessert. We paid about one third what it would have cost! It gave us a chance to try the food and see the regular prices. It was great and we both decided that we would go back for a special occasion. The steak was fantastic! I understand why people talk so highly of it and why they return, we will.