“Clean and comfortable”

Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #8 of 31 Hotels in Syracuse
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We chose this hotel because we were going on a college tour of SU. The location can't be beat. It is right on the campus and close to many local restaurants.

We arrived at noon and were able to check in. Our room (#519) was clean and comfortable. We had a nice view of the college. The only negative thing I can say is the walls are paper thin. You can hear your 'neighbors'.

The parking garage was convenient. It was a flat charge of $15.00 no matter how many times you enter or leave the garage.

We will be back!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MLL66
SyracuseHotelMgr, Manager at Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

Dear stevesing121,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us. I hope you enjoyed your visit to Syracuse University. As you noted we are located on campus and within walking distance to the admissions office. I am glad you will be back - we look forward to welcoming you again soon!

Reviewed March 4, 2013

I am a frequent Starwood traveler and I appreciate when service is above and beyond expectations. I have stayed at this property, Located in the center of Syracuse Universities gorgeous campus, many times previously and have always been treated beautifully. I was however apprehensive regarding the weekend of 2/22 - 2/24 because of the Syracuse Men's Basketball game vs Georgetown. I must say, even with a completely packed house, each and every staff member attended to my every need. I had forgot some toiletries and neededy e extra, to which service express promptly delivered. Also, they provided excellent tips on local attractions including extremely easy access to Marshall Street. The management of the hotel accommodated my every request, even booking rooms extremely close together on a 100% occupancy weekend. Gina, at check-in, made the entire trip, accommodating for my 3 guests arriving at different times. If you are coming to Syracuse, make it the Sheraton at Syracuse University. Two Thumbs Up!!

Room Tip: Ask for a campus facing room for beatutiful views of the quad, hall of languages, and DOME.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
SyracuseHotelMgr, Manager at Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2013

Dear Joseph S:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your recent stay with us. I am glad that you were able to enjoy your visit and thank you for mentioning how great the service was, despite the the fact it was a "BIG" weekend here in Syracuse.

Thank you for choosing the Sheraton - we appreciate your loyalty and we look forward to seeing you soon! GO ORANGE!

Dir of Hotel Operations

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We visited University of Syracuse for a college tour. The hotel is right on campus and very convenient to the school as well as local restaurants. Once we parked in the hotel, we no longer had to move the car ( which is great because it snowed alot). We did not eat on the property but the rooms were very nice and the staff very accommodating. Would definitely return if I have another occasion to visit.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Kennytwins

Dear Kennytwins:

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to Syracuse. Thank you for mentioning that we are very convenient for college visits, as admissions is right across the street. Not having to move the car is certainly a nice feature that we offer.

Good Luck with your colege search and with any luck - you will be visiting us more often!!

Dir. of Hotel Operations

Reviewed February 13, 2013

I have attended a half dozen meetings at the conference center over the last year, and the staff have been consistently courteous and efficient. The food was delicious, and the facility easily accommodated the 100+ members of our group.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
SyracuseHotelMgr, Manager at Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Dear Evan G:

Thank you for taking the time to rate your recent events at the Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel and Conference Center. We appreciate all the feedback we receive from our guests and I am glad that your meetings were a success. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Director of Hotel Operations

Reviewed February 12, 2013

This property offers all the amenities and courtesies! We were met in the lobby by several employees moving swiflty attending to their duties but, to a person, we were greeted with a warm smile and "hello". The front desk sought to situate us in a room that overlooks a specific Syracuse site (sentimental reasons!) and could not have been nicer. Our room was clean, spacious and bright - the bed comfortable and the shower pleasantly powerful. We had drinks in the bar where we found a happy crowd (Syracuse University's basketball team was winning) and friendly service. We did not eat in the restaurant this visit but had enjoyed a Sunday brunch previously - it is pricey but worth it. The hotel is right on the Syracuse University campus, within walking distance of the commmercial Marshall St and is just plain fun. On site parking - always a welcome bonus - is no frills but certainly adequate. We stay at Sheratons as well as other hotels in our travels - this property ranks with the best of them and we've recommended it to friends in the past.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Linda B.

Thank you for your detailed review of your experience at the Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel. We certainly appreciate your loyalty and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Director of Hotel Operations

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I travel on a weekly basis for my job and have stayed in many hotels. Sheraton Syracuse has just been ranked number 1 in the worst hotel listing in my books. Last night, went to use rest room, and to my shock and surprise, notice to BIG COCKROACHES there. I mean I had never seen that big cockroaches here in the US before. Made me think whats the cleanliness situation of bed I sleep in or the comforter I use at the hotel
Plus the staff is extremely rude. Despite of my Platinum Ambassador Guest status with Starwoods, I did not receive the usual amenities. NEVER STAYING AT THIS HOTEL AGAIN.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Ali K
SyracuseHotelMgr, Manager at Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Dear Ali K:

We read with great interest and concern your comments regarding your recent stay. We do value the feedback of all of our guests and we are sincerely sorry to learn of the problems you experienced. I do respect your decision to stay elsewhere during your work in Syracuse. However, if you change your mind or wish to discuss the matter further, please feel free to contact me or our Hotel General Manager directly. We are committed to ensuring a much more welcoming experience in the future.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

Been here for business several times, same deal each time. Just not the good kind of reproducibility. Indeed, a dated property with cosmetic updates. It appears very clean, and the carpets are immaculate compared to other hotels--which is usually a really good sign in a hotel--but, bottom line, nothing really works here. GOTCHA!

You arrive at the airport and there's a free shuttle offered, but they don't advertise on the courtesy board and by the time they get out there on demand, you can be there by taxi. So it's free, nominally, but in reality GOTCHA!

You check in and then leave the spacious lobby and go upstairs to the floor wing exposed to the wind. So your room is whistling all the time. OK, I can live with that, the weather's not their fault. But then you realize after a while that the temperature is extreme in the room and the fan is running hard, but the controls won't do anything.GOTCHA!

Then you fire up your laptop to get on to the free Wifi. The computer finds a strong radio signal, but you futz forever trying to get the thing to actually connect. Turns out, if you go to the lobby or use the computer late at night, it's OK but good luck any other time. GOTCHA!

The lobby and meeting areas seem to be perennially filled with students from the college just hanging out, seems like it's a supplement to the campus library. GOTCHA, unless that's what you came here for.

Try making a call with the landline in your room. Look real quick for a notice of free 800 calls, don't see any kind of notice, figure you're OK or small fee. Pick up the phone and futz with the difficult buttons to dial. Enjoy your bill when it's $2 for even the shortest 800 number called. GOTCHA.

Bottom line, if you need a hotel that makes your arrival experience with their airport shuttle easy, a comfortable room that does not have major noise or climate control problems, working internet, or reasonable incidental fees, go elsewhere, as I suspect most business travelers will. If you need a place on campus and just to sleep for something in town on a weekend, you'll likely be OK if you get the room at a good price.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank traveler99Michigan
SyracuseHotelMgr, Manager at Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Dear traveler99Michigan:

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding your recent stay. I am sorry to learn of all the problems you experienced.

In December we upgraded our wifi service in an attempt to provide our guests greater bandwidth and better address the needs of today's wireless technology. However we have experienced some sporadic challenges. We are working with the vendor to ensure that this addressed as quickly as possible.

I am sorry that you felt you were being taken advantage of when using our telephone service. That certainly was not our intention. The charges are listed on a card placed on the desk. It is possible that the card may have been missing when you looked. I will follow up with housekeeping as a general reminder.

I am somewhat confused about your comments related to the students. As a member of the University community we often welcome students attending events at the hotel. Last week, there was an orientation event that was taking place in the hotel. I apologize if you were inconvenienced by their presence in the hotel. I can assure you we expect appropriate behavior from all of our guests and we have procedures in place to monitor this. However, we are not the library and like all visitors we do not allow loitering in our lobby or other places.

Again - I do thank you for your feedback. We take this very seriously and I have shared your comments with the entire management team in an attempt to improve any deficiencies our guests experience.

If I can be of further assistance, don't hesitate to contact me directly.