“Best bet in Syracuse”

Ranked #8 of 32 Hotels in Syracuse
Oakville, Canada
“Best bet in Syracuse”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

A stop-over for our family of four (2 adults and 2 kids) with a dog. Very nice, clean professional hotel. Fantastic beds! Very friendly staff. The kids enjoyed the pool (small but they didn't mind). Starbucks and some good little restaurants across the street. Try Insomniac Cookies open until midnight! Next time in Syracuse, we would stay here without hesitation!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
SyracuseHotelMgr, Manager at Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, August 18, 2012
Dear Fisharoo2010:

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us! I am glad that this was a perfect visit for your family. Our goal is to exceed the expectations of our guests each time they stay with us and it was great to hear that you enjoyed your stay!

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Best Regards,
Director of Hotel Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Spent a night here while visiting Syracuse University. This is a well maintained hotel right on the Syracuse campus. The hotel staff was uniformly very attentive - when I called down to the front desk to ask about a sewing kit, three were delivered to my room within 10 minutes and I also received a follow-up call from the front desk confirming that I had the kits. The room was quiet and comfortable, and had a beautiful view of the campus. If you are visiting Syracuse University, this is the place to stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Syracuse campus.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear NYCJulieB:

Thank you very much for your recent review of your stay at the Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel. We appreciate all of the comments that we receive and thank you for mentioning how attentive our staff is. I consider myself blessed to say that I work with some of the best hospitality professionals in the area.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

San Francisco, CA
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I'm a Starwood Platinum member, and I used my upgrades to secure a jacuzzi suite at the Sheraton Syracuse for a quick weekend away. (Yeah, Syracuse. Look, I needed to be there anyway, why not *try* to enjoy it?)

The room was massive. Far larger than my little apartment. Two tvs, separate bedroom, and a dining room table for eight (uh, just in case?) The staff was outstanding, and incredibly accommodating. The downsides to the room: it was dark, and the jacuzzi tub was small-ish. Everything else was pretty spectacular.

I was expecting more signs of life in a college town, so if you're looking to be in the center of the action, you'll need to go... well, I have no clue. We didn't find it. Also, the parking garage is a bit awkward, but nothing that is a real problem unless you're bringing a huge vehicle.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear 2RInsider:

Thank you you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at the Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel. You can certainly get away and enjoy yourself - even - in Syracuse. I am so glad that you found your accomodations comfortable and that the staff was attentive to your needs. That is terrific to hear.

I will make a note to look at the lighting in the jacuzzi suite that you mentioned. I am sorry that you found it dark.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Great Exuma
Reviewed July 23, 2012

After staying several nights during this recent trip at motel sixes, having our last night's stay here was heaven. It's nice to see the street is finally completed - we were here last year and the it was half gravel.

Front desk reception was friendly and professional and check-in was a breeze. The room with two queen sized beds as clean, if not spotless, and something I've come to expect in this chain. Each bed had a choice of pillows (four on each), the bed was super comfy and the WiFi worked fine.

The bathroom had plenty of towels and a decent shower head. The AC worked quietly and efficiently and the view of the university was pleasant. On other trips we've come to the area for shopping and it's just worth paying a little extra to stay here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Dear handsapockets:

I appreciate you taking the time to write such a nice review about your stay at the Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel. Our guest feedback is so important to us and I am glad to learn that your stay was comfortable.

We look forward to seeing you soon!

Canada
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Dince my last visit, this hotel has undergone some much needed refurbishments. I had a room on the Club floor, so my comments address that particular floor. The Club lounge is all new and is now doubled in size, decorated very nicely and the food offerings seem to have improved dramatically. There seem to be some staff changes, The Club Concierge, Miss Courtney was an absolute delight, hardworking and very pleasant young woman. This was one of the only visits out of many that we actually stayed in the lounge, read papers and enjoyed the nice new atmosphere. Well done. As an aside, I think one of the breakfast staff might have put away her obsessive focus on her i-phone while working.....she's paid to work, not to surf her email, the net or whatever. She said the hotel banned staff talking on their phones, but not playing on them...??? The rooms are tastefully re-decorated with lovely armchairs that have hidden ottomans under them, new bathroom fixtures and thankfully, that fabulous sweet sleeper still there. . The corridors are now lit with lovely sconces beside each door, hall carpets all brand new. Housekeeping could pay a tad more attention to the glass covered tables, two in our room were smeared terribly....easily fixed.
The reception desk has new very user friendly check in desks....a very attractive addition to the lobby. Despite having only one staff person manning the desk at check in, she acknowledged me immediately and apologised for the wait. Thats a nice thing. When I finally checked in, she was just so friendly and welcoming.
We stay frequently at this Sheraton, and really enjoy the hotel and it's wonderful location. The improvements now make it a hotel of first choice while in the Syracuse area!!

Room Tip: The Club floor rooms, and the Club Lounge have all been refurbished and are quite lovely
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SidCanada
, Manager at Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Bonjour SidCanada,

Thank you for your detailed review on your most recent stay at the Sheraton Syracuse. We appreciate the great feedback and I've shared your comments with our entire team. I also will address our club lounge associate with regards to your comments on her telephone usage in the lounge. Overall, we're glad you had a wonderful experience and we hope to be your home away from home in Syracuse!

NY
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Stayed here in June for a work conference, in a room with a queen bed. Water was piping hot for my morning shower both days (unlike at some hotels where it seems the hot water heads toward lukewarm when the hotel is packed and lots of people are getting ready in the morning). Room had a chair with a cute little ottoman. Nice chair for the desk. Starbucks coffee assortment in room. Coffeemaker uses filter-pods to make the coffee and can also provide hot water for the Tazo teas provided in the room. Nice flatscreen HDTV with liquid crystal display. Complimentary 23.7-oz. Poland Spring water bottle left in the room for me each day. Ice bucket had tongs. Hotel bathrobe and safe in the closet. Pool and fitness center on-site, but I didn't use either. 1875-watt, full-size hair dryer--so much better than the minis most hotels have. Complimentary toiletries included a little shower pouf. Two large mirrors in the bathroom (over the sink and on a side wall)--they make getting ready easier. Mini fridge and recycle bin in the room. If you need a microwave, there's one in an area off the lobby. I heard from others at the conference that the hotel's Wifi was spotty from the hotel rooms, but the hotel has several computers off the lobby area that people can use--they have Internet browser, Word, Excel, etc. Hotel is a short walk--about 5-10 minutes--from Syracuse University, including Newhouse School of Public Communications. There are also some bars and eateries within walking distance. Starbucks is about a block or so away. Hotel parking is in a parking garage. Not sure if there's an additional fee.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear mln27,

Thank you for your recent contribution to Tripadvisor! We appreciate the great comments on your most recent stay with us and we're glad that you had a wonderful experience! Please keep us in mind when your travels bring you back to Syracuse!

Barrow, Alaska
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Checking in was a disappointing wait with anxiety watching the staff run around flustered and unorganized. We almost thought we should stay elsewhere, however my experiences have been to concentrate on the room and location... for that it did not disappoint. Rooms were very clean and modern with relaxing appeal. The room we had was smaller than many other hotels I have been in, but cleanliness wins me over.
We were there for a university game and it was not noisy when it counted at night. Pool was great for the kids and was very spacious. Workout room had clean and modern machines with all the bells and whistles you need to exercise.
Surrounding area has some good restaurants, however if you stay longer than one night you'll want to drive someplace. Hill area is usually safe, however for some reason they've allowed the peddlers become aggressive.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Fuzzi B
, Manager at Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 1, 2012
Hello Fuzzi B

Thank you for your recent comments on the Sheraton Syracuse. We appreciate the positive and constructive feedback on your most recent stay with us. I've shared your review with our entire team and I can assure you that we will address the issues that you had at check in with our front office team. I'm sorry that your initial arrival experience was less than satisfactory, but I'm glad that we were able to make it up to you during your stay. Thank you once again for your comments and we hope to see you again in the near future!