“Peaceful convenience”

Sheraton Syracuse University Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #8 of 31 Hotels in Syracuse
Reviewed January 6, 2008

Great stay next to Syracuse University, walk to area bars and restaurants. Great rooms, Starbucks coffee in-room, very helpful staff

• Stayed: December 2007
1  Thank oaksybosrmsw

Reviewed October 28, 2007

We stayed at the Sheraton Syracuse when we took our son for an open house at a local university. The only reason we chose the pricey Sheraton was its proximity to the campus.

The driving directions posted on the hotel's website were clear
and easy to follow. Check-in was fast, and the desk clerk was friendly and helpful, but, as noted later, she didn't provide quite enough information. We were given a ticket to park in the adjacent (connected) parking garage at a rate of $7 for overnight. (More about this later.)

After check-in, we entered the elevator and pushed the button for our floor, but nothing happened. Another guest entered and explained that we had to insert our room card into a slot on the control panel in order to get the elevator to work. Good security measure, but that should have been explained to us when we checked in.

The room was clean but rather dark and without any decorator touches. Beds were comfortable, with upscale pillows and bedding. There were two bottles of water in the room with a note advising that they cost $3.50 each, so we didn't touch those!

The bathroom had a nice marble countertop, but minimal lighting, no exhaust fan, and an older tub/shower with mineral corrosion. Towels were rough and reminiscent of what you'll find at most budget motels. Good water pressure, though, especially for the fourth floor.

It was chilly when we first entered the room, so I tried to raise the temp using the wall thermostat (no controls on the register itself), but nothing happened. The instructions said it would take five minutes for the unit to respond, but it never did.

Looking for a place to have dinner, we asked the desk clerk for suggestions. She gave us a handy map, quickly marked our location, and provided a list of local restaurants. It was a very short walk to our choice, King David, an inexpensive Mediterranean restaurant with OK food and very generous portions.

Ambience: It was a noisy Friday night. Guests from an on-site wedding banged on doors and spoke loudly in the hallway at all hours, and there were constant sirens and shouting outside. Certainly that's not the hotel's fault, but be advised that if you're looking for a quiet place, this is not the best location.

To save time, in the morning we had breakfast in the hotel restaurant. The buffet was $10.95 per person, including beverages, and was well worth it. The fresh fruit was beautiful, everything was delicious, there was a good variety, and they even had hot oatmeal, my favorite.

We advised the waitress that we were on a tight schedule, so she brought the check promptly. However, she must have assumed that we would charge the meal to our room, and we had planned to pay cash. She never came back, so we ended up having to charge it to our room anyway.

After check-out, when we got to the cashier's booth in the parking garage, we were unpleasantly surprised to discover that the cashier was not on duty. A sign instructed us to use the "honor system" and leave our ticket and the amount we owed in a box at the window. We owed $7. Between us, my husband and I had only $20 bills and a $5 bill. No one at the hotel had warned us that we would need exact change for the parking garage, and at that point we did not have time to re-park, go back into the hotel and ask for change, so we left $5 in the box with our ticket. Later we e-mailed the hotel to ask where we should send the additional $2 -- and to advise them that they might want to warn guests to get exact change in advance.

This hotel is pricey. We paid slightly over $200 (including tax) for two double beds, with no breakfast or other amenities included. The location was close to campus, and that's what we paid for, but all things considered, the experience was mediocre. Chances are good that we'll return to Syracuse many times, but we won't stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank Pastiche
Reviewed October 10, 2007

I spent one night at the Sheraton Syracuse University because I had next day flight out of Hancock International Airport (15 minutes away). I had spent one week in Ithaca, New York attending a Cornell ILR/CAHRS Executive Program workshop. In Ithaca I stayed at both the Statler Hotel and at Homewood Suites by Hilton.

I stayed at Sheraton because I got a rate of around $79.00 on Hotwire.com. I would not pay much more than price for this property because it shows it's age.

The hotel is located right on Syracuse University campus near the University Hospital. From Ithaca, I took 13 to to Interstate 81 north to exit 18 (Adams/Harrison St. exit), turn right on East Adams Street, go to the fourth light, turn right onto University ave, go two blocks, hotel is on the left. Though you have to make a left on Waverly in order to exit the garage.

Check in was quick and after self parking in the garage next door (pay parking at $7.00 per night). The Sheraton Rep was friendly and professional. The hotel is bit old and dated and walking through the property shows this.

I received double bed room on Starwood Preferred Guests floor (8th floor). My room was clean and my bed was my comfortable. The room is of medium size and furnishing are a bit dated and the room is a bit dark. The room actually looks better than the hotel property itself. As with other Sheraton properties there is complementary bottled water for Starwood Preferred members.

I ate the breakfast buffet at the property restaurant, Rachels. The breakfast was okay. I also ate at Greek Natural Foods restaurant just down the street from the property on Walnut. The food was okay but plentiful. Service was excellent. I recommend Orange souvenir shopping at Manny's on Walnut which offers the best selections and prices of Syracuse Orange logo wear. Follet's Orange book's logo prices were higher. There is Rite Aid around the corner from Walnut. I got haircut at Hair Trends, but it was not good, so I'd stay away from there. The Syracuse campus is typical of Urban Northeast Campus with it's mixture of old and new buildings and there appeared to be a diverse student population at Syracuse.
The campus is much different than from the Cornell campus which I had just come from. Cornell has more financial resources and it shows on their campus.

Hancock International airport is small airport with mostly small commuter Embarer jets. There is not much food choices in the airport. My connection airport was Atlanta Hartsfield Jackson. I recommend the International terminal E for better choice of food vendors.

I was satisfied with my stay at the Syracuse Sheraton University because of the price, location and quiet room. I would stay here again for a day or two for the price. I recommend this hotel if your looking for value and clean place to stay in Syracuse.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank SeminarTrekker
Reviewed August 6, 2007

We stayed her just one night on our way to Niagara Falls. There was some kind of basketball tourney going on and I couldn't get anything outside of the city. I was very surprised by this property. On the way to the hotel, I was doubtful it would be a good experience as the area seems a bit sketchy, but the property was very nice and well maintained.

I had called ahead to have champagne and cookies waiting for us as a surprise for my hubby and forgot upon check in when the staff person said we were already checked in. She then gave me a "big eyed glare" out of my husband's eyesight, reminding me of the surprise so I would keep quiet. I thought that was so thoughtful of her not to spoil it for him even though my silly brain forgot my surprise!

The club floor's breakfast room needs more staff to clear away dishes, etc, but all the guests kind of chipped in and helped the lone staff person clear things away so it felt like a family. Note to hotel: that's OK like once or twice, but . . .

I would have liked to see more security as I felt the area didn't seem safe at night, but all in all, we hadn't planned to stay at the Sheraton, but we are glad that we did!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank McMillanmom
Reviewed August 4, 2007

Arrived at this hotel after a long day of driving, only to be told "sorry, we can't seem to find your reservation" even though I had printouts from booking online. The hotel was sold out, and no rooms available in the whole city, I was told. Hotel staff then accused me of not completing the reservation online properly as I didn't have the page with my confirmation number. Strangely, a few minutes later, they miraculously came up with a room for us, but made it sound like they were doing us a huge favour.
The room was nice, beds comfortable, breakfast good. The pool water was kind of murky. The next morning we got on the elevator with a couple who had 2 dogs, and we asked at the front desk if animals are allowed in this hotel. Yes, on any floor, in any room, we were told. YUCK. When I stay at an upscale hotel, I don't want to sleep in a room where Fido was in my bed last night.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank kawarthas1
Reviewed July 10, 2007

Had a very nice stay at this hotel. Booked two rooms as we were going on a College review weekend. Asked for adjoining rooms, and the hotel provided us with two very nicely appointed rooms, one of which was a mini suite.

The rooms were comfortable, large and well appointed, with a very comfortable bed. Bathrooms a little tired and dated, other than that small detail everything else was great. Rates were very reasonable too.

Dined at the hotel in the evening, food was OK, nothing special, but service was very pleasant, and staff very friendly. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is going to visit Syracuse College, as it is right on campus.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank Sue9021
Reviewed July 1, 2007

A clean and modern hotel with a great club level. Located next to Syracuse University. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business