“Fun a Hotel”
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel

Crowne Plaza Hotel
Ranked #13 of 31 Hotels in Syracuse
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Have stayed at this hotel many times. Close to Syracuse a University, Destiny USA mall and Downtown. Lobby Is impressive and rooms are well furnished and have really comfortable beds. The lobby and lobby bar have a big city feel with a great atmosphere, it can get really busy when hotel is full and especially when SU basketball and football games are at home. They have have a great fitness room. Hotel has a shuttle service that will take you to airport and close by restaurants. Hotel is also conveniently close to highway. Will be back!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Kelly C, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2014

Greetings hello096,

Thank you for your review as well as choosing the Crowne Plaza Syracuse! So happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay as well as the amenities the hotel has to offer. Hope to see you again soon!

Kelly -- Front Office Manager

Reviewed April 17, 2014

Let's start with the positive: the beds are comfortable and the rooms are fine. I visit Syracuse 3-4 times a year, so I understand that there are not a lot of great options, but each time I visit, I have stayed at the Crowne. This will, most likely, be my last. I have seen both the service and attitude of the employees slip dramatically over the years, but this time, it has reached absurd levels.

I have never written a negative review.

First: the wi-fi/internet. When i could not get a signal in my room, i called the front desk and they said, "we have problems with Apple products." Huh? Newsflash to Crowne: they are used by tens of millions of people. This is not rocket science. Anyway, it made it very challenging for me to get my work done...almost impossible, in fact.

Frustrated by the Internet debacle, I went to the bar for a bite and a drink. The two male bartenders were so inattentive—there were only 3-4 people in the bar—that it was strange.
As an ex-waiter during my college days, I have always over-tipped .. and am usually protective of "wait staff" and others. Anyone who has ever done the job knows that people can be jerks, so even in the face of this, I usually still tip very well.

Well, last night, after I finished my first scotch (awaiting my sandwich and salad), neither of the two workers ever asked if I'd like another drink. So I waited. And waited. . .and, well, you get the idea. After a full 30 minutes with an empty drink in front of me, I said, "would it be a huge imposition to get another drink, please?"

No response until two minutes later when he said "we are out of Johnnie Walker. How about a Dewar's?" Fine, I said. Then I was told they were out of that also. "We'll go get another bottle," I was told.

10 minutes pass. Then 20; then 30 minutes. Finally a "manager" brings the bottle of scotch. Now, mind you, it is now one full hour since I completed my first drink. My food has come and gone. No one apologized (including the manager who looked right at me), and certainly no one offered me a free drink for the privilege of waiting an hour to buy another $10.00 scotch.

Now look, everyone has bad days. As I said, I have never written a negative review. But I am thinking that this hotel needs a housecleaning .. no pun intended .. at least in the bar/restaurant and whomever manages them.

This is 1-star service for 4-start prices. Never again. I'm going through airbnb next time.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank K M

Greetings K M,
Thank you for your review. We appreciate all feedback both negative and positive. This makes us a better hotel and helps us to prevent something like this in the future. I am sorry to hear that we did not provide exceptional service in the bar the night you were here. I will be sure to pass along your concerns with the restaurant manager. I am sorry to hear that we at the desk did not send up engineering to assist with the internet if we couldn’t get it to connect over the phone. Please know that I will inform my agents that we should be offering assistance if we cannot help.
Kelly – Front Office Manager

Reviewed April 11, 2014

The staff was very friendly, rooms were updated/contemporary, mattress and pillows very comfortable, everything was clean and orderly, the bar and restaurant were nice and shuttle service to concert venue and train station very helpful. The hotel is very close to major highways, so book a room that is higher up. I stayed on 19 and it was perfect. I just stayed one night and would be happy to return. Also, here's a tip: If going to a concert in the city that is over later in the evening, you will most likely have to call for a cab - so add a few cab company's phone numbers to your phone, so you're prepared! There were no cabs waiting at the end of the concert.

Room Tip: Book on a higher floor to avoid highway noise.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Shelly131
Kelly C, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2014

Greetings Shelly131,
Thank you for your review as well as staying with us! So happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to having you stay with us again. Having cab numbers are always handy if you are in a new area. I will be sure to pass along your kind words about your stay to the rest of the staff.
Kelly C. -- Front Office Manager

Reviewed March 28, 2014

Visiting my daughter at SU. Arrived earlier than I anticipated and not only did the staff get me an early check, they also worked hard to make sure they honored my request of a room away from highway noise. Although I could see the highway I think being on a higher floor made a difference because I was not bothered all weekend by noise. Ordered room service two nights. It came quickly, as ordered and hot. The chicken pesto sandwich hit the spot and my daughter loved the bbque wings. I did not find any problem with the elevators as other reviewers had mentioned, they were not confusing to me at all and I never had to wait more than a minute Parking in the garage was a plus and I was even able to make use of a free shuttle right to where I need to be that night on campus. Although the shuttle was not available to bring me back to the hotel they happily called a cab for me. Really enjoyed my stay. I will be back

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Kelly C, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2014

Greetings Jucala2,
Thank you for review as well as staying with us! So happy to hear that you and your daughter enjoyed your visit to SU. The shuttle is a total bonus especially if you are not familiar with the area. Hope to see you soon!
Kelly C. – Front Office Manager

Reviewed March 22, 2014

Stayed here for a business meeting at the hotel. I am use to staying at Marriotts when I travel for business so this was a little different and may not be a fair comparison. This hotel is an older hotel. The Elevators are similar to the Marriott Marquis in NYC, you select your floor first using the keypads on the outside of the elevators and it will direct you to which elevator to take. The elevators were slow. The hotel is a circle and the rooms are right next to each other. To close, where the door to the room next door is right there. You will hear the neighbors. The rooms are very small in comparison to what I am use to. Some parts of the room have been updated like the bathrooms and flat screen TV. The bathroom was TINY and the shower had one of those half glass walls so water went everywhere over the bathroom (no door to close the shower completely).

For our business meeting the food was provided and to be honest, it was not very good. In fact, I could only eat it once and then it just wasn't worth it to me so I used my own money to go out to dinner.

The location of the hotel is great if you need to stay downtown or near the university.

It is very large hotel with a lot of rooms which is why the elevators can be so slow. There is a parking ramp ajacent to the hotel. I think they charge for parking. The bar has a nice atmosphere and a good place to start your night. The bartenders were great and the front desk people were also very helpful. Of course you have to go to the Armory Square area within walking distance (long walk) and there are lots of other restaurant and bar choices. Depending on what side you end up on, the traffic can be heard in your room because the windows and walls are very thin.

This is not a hotel I would choose on my own but not a bad hotel if you are just staying a night or two and need to be in the area. I think the hotel room and TINY bathroom would drive me crazy if I had to stay for any lenght of time.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Greetings mbateacher,
Thank you for staying with us as well as your review! I will be sure pass along your review to all departments. Hope to see you in the future.
Kelly C. – Front Office Manager

Reviewed March 19, 2014

Very clean and comfortable rooms. Easy to relax. Stayed 3 days, and enjoyed two nice dinners at hotel. Also used thier modern exercise room. Staff was very friendly and attentive to every detail. The covered garage was a big plus when 12" of snow fell.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Kelly C, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2014

Greetings John M,
Thank you for your review as well as staying with us! So happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay as well as the staff! I will be sure to pass that along to them. Our dinners in the restaurant are delicious. Having a covered garage for snow days is always a plus! Hope to see you soon!
Kelly C. -- Front Office Manager

Reviewed March 13, 2014

I stayed here one night March 3rd to 4th and the hotel was very nice. The room seemed pretty clean and modern. It was walking distance to the Carrier dome and I was able to check in early to make sure I would have time to get to my business meeting then park and walk to the dome.

The only issue I had was with the road noise. Even being on the 8th floor the road noise was a bit more than I had expected but overall it was still pretty nice.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Kelly C, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2014

Greetings Contributor,
Thank you for your review as well as staying with us during your trip to Syracuse! We are always happy to accommodate an early arrival when available. Hope to see you again soon!
Kelly C – Front Office Manager