“Re-review”

Ranked #18 of 32 Hotels in Syracuse
Swarthmore, Pennsylvania
“Re-review”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Have stayed here a million times when in town for family and biz stuff. Wrote a review previously on its last iteration as The Marx.

Just a buyer beware.

Here for a stressful family situation. Asked for the exec lounge floor to use with wife at night to unwind vs sitting in the bar. Got room from the central booking folks, all set.

Arrive Sat---no Lounge on Sat/Sun. OK...Mon called---asked what time it opens..."sorry, no one used it so it is only available for breakfast". Really?

Place is still clean, good loc, etc etc. Just a caveat emptor on the Exec stuff...

Oh, yeah, one last point. Our room on the 17th fl. I thought that the lounge would be there...nope...second floor.

Lastly, bed we had was obviously in need of replacement. Just a terrible thing to sleep on

Just a heads up.

Buona fortna!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Patrick201
Kelly C, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Greetings Patrick201,

Thank you for taking the time out to write a review here on TripAdvisor and we appreciate all feedback. Yes we have stopped doing the beverage service in the Executive Lounge, however you could have still gone in there and relaxed with your wife after your day. Sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your sleep, please feel free to contact me the next time you are here and i can have engineering check out the mattress prior to your arrival. Hope to see you soon!

Kelly Carey -- Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for only one night and a day. The bus service to and from the airport is very good. from the airport my colleague and I called them, and they reported to pick us up in 10-15 minutes. There room was very clean and well maintained. Check-in was easy - so was the checkout. It was very chilly outside in January winter. The breakfast was good. They also have a bar in the hotel. Spent discussing work philosophy with colleagues the whole evening. The service at the bar was just good.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank durgasankar
Kelly C, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Greetings durgasankar,

Thank you for writing such a nice review here on Trip Advisor. I am so glad you were able to use our shuttle from the airport, so much easier then calling for a cab. I will be sure to pass on all your kind words about the bar, rooms and staff at the desk! Hope to see you back soon!

Ohio
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Clean. Nice. Small but well appointed rooms. Restaurant was good. Bar was nice. Distance from the University was nice, good walk but not too far. Neighborhood isnt as bad as some make it out to be. Not great but not awful.

My real issue with the hotel is this.

I had to decide whether it was worth driving up from 5 hours away and arriving at midnight or later on Friday night before the Tulane game or just foregoing it, eating the hotel $ for that night (I knew I was paying it either way) and coming up on Saturday morning, The real deciding factor was absolutely needing enough beds for my 2 kids and my wife and I. I really really needed 2 double beds. So...after making the reservation about a week prior I called the hotel and explained my situation. I asked them to please mark me for a late arrival and 2 double beds. They said no problem, and they were available.

Now, it's important to understand that i understand that booking on 3rd party sites does not "guarantee" a room with 2 doubles. BUT...what frustrates me is that I don't believe that the situation was effectively communicated in ANY of my discussions, including at 7pm the day of check in.

The morning that I was heading up there I called again. Explained the situation again and was told I was down for late arrival and 2 doubles. Never did anyone say "2 doubles is not guaranteed". Again, I know this...but if there was a chance that I would have the room taken from me it would have been nice to be told and not assume I read the fine print on the booking website.

Then, at 7pm the day of arrival I called yet AGAIN and specifically said, "I may just come tomorrow morning for the 2nd of 2 nights if you do not have a room with 2 double beds available for me". I really didn't want my kids to be forced to deal with a lack of sleeping space at 12:30am. They already were going to be paid for both nights so it's not like me coming in the next morning would have cost them anything. They told me they still had double rooms available and I was down for one. Again, no one said "But there's a chance that we may give it away while you are on I-81"

If at ANY point in the calls above I was told that there were no doubles available, or even there was a significant chance they would not be available, I would have made the 5 hour drive the following morning.

Instead, I arrive at the hotel...all of us dead tired. And upon check in,,, "Yes we have you for a King". The incredibly matter of factness of the statement was bewildering to me. Clearly, you are staring at the notes. You can't do more than just pretend I hadn't called many times on this?

Ultimately, we had to have 2 rollaways put unto the room which kept the kids awake that much longer until they were set up (these rooms are nice but VERY small... literally we were climbing over beds to get around..not pleasant at all).

Definitely not close to the top of my list next time I am in the area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Kelly C, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Greetings travisG45,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to write a review here on TripAdvisor. We appreciate all feedback; it makes us strive for better. I am sorry about your sleeping conditions and I will follow up with the staff to make sure that if a guest is calling for a certain room type that we are explaining and or confirming the room type with the guest on the phone if we see inventory is getting low on that room. I will however pass on to everyone your nice comments about the restaurant and bar. If you ever find yourself in Syracuse again please feel free to contact me.

Burlington, Canada
Reviewed September 20, 2013

This is a memorable hotel that one would want to return to. Everything clean and updated.
The room itself had an interesting shape and layout due to the design of the hotel itself. Check in
was easy and friendly staff were able to answer questions regarding how to get to downtown and provided specific directions. We were pleased to find that we were within walking distance..no need to take our car. The bathroom would make any discerning traveller happy...having a sink area separate from commode and shower was a plus. High end linens and extremely comfortable bed made for a good nights rest. No outside noise either from traffic or elevator could be heard from our room. We will be returning to Syracuse on an annual basis and this will be our hotel of choice!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Kelly C, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Greetings Betty C,

Thank you for such a wonderful here on TripAdvisor. We appreciate all your kind words and I will be sure to pass them on to the hotel. So glad you were able to walk to all the locations. Hope to see you in the future!

CT
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Crowne Plaza in Syracuse. The lobby was clean, bright, and comfortable. Check in was quick and efficient. I had called ahead and asked for an early check in, so when I arrived at 12 noon, they had a room ready. The staff was very nice, helpful, and accommodating.

Parking - I had an oversized vehicle, and they were able to let me park in their fenced in alley. It was perfect. The hotel also has an adjacent covered parking garage with a 7 foot clearance. The hotel offers a shuttle which I took everywhere and never had to move my car.

My room (#1702) - The room was beautiful, modern, and very comfortable. The room faced the highway, which created a small amount of white noise. I was just outside of the elevator, but only heard a bit of noise once or twice. The alarm clock has several soothing sound options. A big flat screen TV and a refrigerator were in the room. A package of aroma therapy relaxation goodies was left on the bed. The closet is built into the wall and behind a shower curtain. An iron and room safe are present. Free wi-fi is included with the room rate, or you can upgrade to higher speeds for a fee (I never needed to, the free speed was fine).

The bathroom is unique. The sink is in a separate alcove. The hotel's soaps/shampoos are herbal and have a light, lovely scent. The shower and commode share a room. The rainwater shower head is really cool. The shower only has a 1/2 door, so it remains open. The towels were really soft and very absorbent. A bathrobe can be found in the closet.

Food/Drink - We had breakfast in the Executive Lounge, which offered eggs, bacon, make your own waffles, and other continental breakfast items. The restaurant is open for breakfast and dinner. They also have a lovely bar (which unfortunately I didn't have time to patronize). Room Service is available from breakfast through late night (you can also pre-order breakfast to your room). The waitstaff was prompt, and told me up front that they received the (already included) service fee as their tip.

The elevators are different - you punch the floor you're going to in a control panel outside the elevator - when you're in the elevator, there are no buttons other than the open/close door and emergency buttons. Very weird. While I didn't use them, I did notice that the hotel had an ATM and fitness center.

Automatic check out is available by leaving your keys in the room. I enjoyed my overnight there and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Kelly C, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Hello littlecat123,
Thank you for such a wonderful review here on TripAdvisor, your kind words are very much appreciated. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to all the departments at the hotel. Good to hear that you enjoyed the sleep kits in your room, they are so popular. Being able to the shuttle around in a new city usually make the trip, glad you were able to take advantage of that. The make your own waffles are so much fun to make! The smell of them is even better. Hope to see you soon!

Laurencekirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2013

From the outside, this hotel looks rather dated but the interior of the hotel is crisp, clean and modern. Our room was on the 15th floor and was beautifully furnished and equipped. The segment shape of the room added interest. We ate in the hotel and thoroughly enjoyed our meal; the service was excellent. The lifts are amazing!

The only issues we had were (a) the noise from the elevated road outside and (b) the fact that we told reception that we would be paying with a different credit card from the one we gave them on registration. The bill put through our door overnight had charged the wrong card. Reception was busy when we checked out and we decided not to follow up the matter as it was a relatively minor issue.

Room Tip: As for a room away from the elevated road.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Greetings POPL,
Thank you for taking the time out of your day to write a review here on TripAdvisor. We appreciate all feedback, we are so happy you enjoyed your stay. Our elevators are something else and interesting. I will pass along your kind words about our restaurant as well. I am sorry about your bill, if you like you can contact me and we try to get it fixed for you. Hope to see you soon.

New York City, New York
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I stayed at this hotel at the end of August. I have stayed here before and absolutely loved this hotel! The design is very unique and that's what keeps bringing me back. The location is also perfect in regards to everywhere we went during our stay. Had a room facing the thruway and it was quiet! I dont think I ever heard the traffic while I was there. The view of the city is also gorgeous at night when all lit up. While it was only a 2 day stay it most definitely felt like longer!! Definitely will be back here in the future!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Kelly C, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Greetings amdwfc88,
Thank you for writing such a wonderful review! We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the view of the city at night. Our circular shape is always such a great talking point! We look forward to seeing you in the future!