“stay away”

Ranked #17 of 32 Hotels in Syracuse
old bridge
“stay away”
Reviewed July 7, 2008

I thought I already wrote a bad review but this stay was so bad I had to write again to try to keep others from making the same mistake we made. This hotel contributed to the ruination of my daughter's wedding in Syracuse. We arrived at the hotel just in time to dress for the rehearsal dinner only to find our rooms wrere not ready. The site says check in is 3 pm but the front desk says the rooms don't have to be ready til 6 pm - huh? (We got there at 4:15.) This kept us from getting to the dinner on time. The people at the front test were very polite but lied to us about the time it would take for the rooms to be ready. We were offered other rooms but wanted to stay together in the "block" my daughter had reserved and were lead to believe the wait would be short (we were told 10 minutes, 30 minutes, etc)- not true !!! This was minor compared to the horrible breakfast we had arranged fot the day after the wedding. There was basically no food and absolutely no service. I am not kidding - there was no coffee. no knives, no yogurt, no one clearing the table - you get the picture. When we complained, we were told the banquet people failed to talk to the restaurant people - and we were charged lots of money and to add insult to injury a 20% "service" charge. I will admit that when we complained we did get a credit for the room fees and the restaurant fees but that doesn't make up for the stress and bad feelings that are left for this hotel spoiling a once in a life time event. I also believe that had we not been forceful, we would have gotten awful service and no credit either. I would recommend not doing business with the hotel at all. It really spoil what should have been a wonderful weekend. My family has been left with big bills and terrible memories. If anyone from Marriot wants to contact me - which they have not - further proof of the bad service , my e-mail is kem8812 @aol.com. I'd love to speak to you ( the food and beverage manager who was great! - others need lessons)

• Liked — free parking
  • Disliked — rooms not ready - awful service for arranged breakfast -terrible over-all!!!!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed June 23, 2008

Booked with Priceline for 75$ AI.

The hotel structure is pure 70s architecture, ugly as sin. The area itself is a bit far from Clinton Square, but still walkable. I would feel a bit concerned walking alone though.

However, the room was a pleasant surprise, very modern and well decorated. The bed was quite big, luxurious and comfie. But since it was facing the highway, it was a bit noisy.

The bathroom is small, no bath, but a very nice shower, with the ceiling head. Nice, but not practical.

A soso gym is available. Best thing, for this class of hotel is the free parkade behind the hotel.

Service is courteous. For those wanting light breakfast, the back entrance provides fruits, juice, and bottled water.

Overall, would go again (with Priceline of course).

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
NY, NY
Reviewed June 22, 2008

It was my second time staying at this hotel and it is still my favorite in Syracuse. Although it is close to the highway the windows keep it very quiet. The rooms are excellent and the desks are actually large enough that you can get some real work done. Place was once again spotless. I spent almost all my time in my room studying, so since the rooms are so amazing, that makes a much bigger impact on this reviewer than aspects like location (it is convenient if you are going to be driving anywhere within 15 minutes because the highways are close).

I really can't complain because I got the hotel for around $55 a night through hotwire or something. (actually it was my wife - thanks hun). There was one or two times where I called down to the front desk for something and it took another call for it to get done, but I don't think that can justify bringing this place down a star because overall they were prompt and nice. Also, there really are no healthy options on the room service menu, but I can't remember the last time I saw healthy options on any roomservice menu.

I have not stayed at the Sheraton (the other 5 star in syracuse). I have heard that is nice too. But for a hotel in syracuse, this one is great. One last thought, this is only a little bit closer to the actual city by a few blocks, but I heard the Sheraton is right on the Syracuse campus, should keep that in mind.

Stayed June 2008
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 16, 2008

Yes, the 2 elevators are interminably slow and yes there's no bathtub but the staff was extremely courteous, the place is clean and for us, on the 18th floor and facing away from the highway, the noise was minimal.

Let's start at the beginning. We were greeted at the desk by Denise who was respectful, helpful, cheery and efficient. That was perfect after a long drive.

Someone here mentioned that there was no one to help with bags. There were two bellmen available when we arrived and were eager to help.

As I mentioned the room was clean...very clean. Since we traveled with a group of kids and parents, we had an opportunity to view other rooms. They are all the same. And all clean. All had shower stalls with "rain"-type shower heads, no bathtubs. These shower heads are not my first choice of equipment; they are not for those who wish to shower without getting their hair wet.

The AC system bothered me a bit. Not the noise and not the energy-saving that is achieved by it turning off if the ultra-sonic detector doesn't sense movement e.g. if there's no one in the room but at night it shut off from time to time so that it got very hot. I called too late to find out if there was a way to override the control and force it to stay on through the night.

The elevators. Ahh, the elevators. There are only 2 and they are so slow that small LCD TVs have been installed over the doors on every floor so you can be entertained while whistling away your wait. They are good conversation-starters and one guy even suggested a waiting room or lounge for people waiting for the elevator! Good chuckle at that one.

Some here have complained about the neighborhood. I say so what. They are being too touchy. It appears that there is ample security at the Hotel and the neighborhood seems to be eerily quiet rather than scary.

Parking is in a separate building a few feet from the Hotel's rear entrance. It's multi-level and each floor is served by an elevator.

Some here have complained about the LCD TV/desk set-up. Get a grip. It's perfectly fine unless someone using the desk is 6'9" and sitting straight up. There are plenty of AC receptacles right under the TV making it very easy to plug in all my chargers...phone, camera etc.

No pool. And I can't compare it to other Renaissance Hotels because I haven't stayed in any.

Dinosaur is about a 5 minute drive. The Dome is about 7 minutes.

In sum: I recommend this property and I would stay there again altho others did recommend the Sheraton and I will seek more info about it.

• Liked — employee attitude
  • Disliked — elevators are slow
  • Stayed June 2008
PA
Reviewed May 27, 2008

The room was oddly shaped but spacious. The room was clean and well stocked with towels, wash cloths and such. The TV was nice and big and was good for watching a movie on. There was no dresser space and very little closet space. The bathroom was OK but I didn’t like that it had no bathtub. The vanity space was limited and water sprayed everywhere when doing anything. The bed was comfy.

We ordered room service and it came quickly and was of good quality. It was also reasonably priced.

On our second night a few days later we were given room 1207 away from the highway. The room was laid out exactly as the previous room and was clean. The crib was already set up in the room which we requested when checking out a few nights earlier. The staff was friendly and always willing to help.

We had breakfast at the restaurant and was pleasantly surprised by the pricing and quality. The hotel seemed empty the last night we stayed. There is not much to do in the town of Syracuse. We drove around looking for a place for dinner and had to drive about 5 or so miles out of town to find something open.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
Florida
Reviewed April 9, 2008

If you are in search of the quality Renaissance is known for this is not the hotel for you. Clean. Helpful and courteous staff. The room layout was odd, you have to strain your neck looking up to watch tv while sitting at the desk. Cheap furniture that is scratched up. The shower and bathroom are industrial chic. Free parking! The surrounding neighborhood just south of hotel is extremely sketchy. A few short blocks walk to downtown. Check out the Mission restaurant in the building of a former old church. Best food and service of vacation.

• Liked — marriott points
  • Disliked — cheap furniture and ghetto neighborhood
  • Stayed March 2008
1 Thank time_traveler99
Ottawa
Reviewed April 2, 2008

I stayed here for just a single night and was pleasantly surprised by the hotel, overall. It doesn't look like much from the outside but when you get into the hotel, it's been very well laid out and the rooms although odd-shaped, are quite luxurious. I must say that the best part of the stay was the warmth and professionalism of the staff from check-in to breakfast at the Club Lounge to check-out. Well done, I'll be staying here again.

• Liked — Staff, comfortable beds
  • Disliked — A bathtub would have been good