“Just Fine”

Ranked #17 of 32 Hotels in Syracuse
New York City, New York
“Just Fine”
Reviewed June 16, 2008

Yes, the 2 elevators are interminably slow and yes there's no bathtub but the staff was extremely courteous, the place is clean and for us, on the 18th floor and facing away from the highway, the noise was minimal.

Let's start at the beginning. We were greeted at the desk by Denise who was respectful, helpful, cheery and efficient. That was perfect after a long drive.

Someone here mentioned that there was no one to help with bags. There were two bellmen available when we arrived and were eager to help.

As I mentioned the room was clean...very clean. Since we traveled with a group of kids and parents, we had an opportunity to view other rooms. They are all the same. And all clean. All had shower stalls with "rain"-type shower heads, no bathtubs. These shower heads are not my first choice of equipment; they are not for those who wish to shower without getting their hair wet.

The AC system bothered me a bit. Not the noise and not the energy-saving that is achieved by it turning off if the ultra-sonic detector doesn't sense movement e.g. if there's no one in the room but at night it shut off from time to time so that it got very hot. I called too late to find out if there was a way to override the control and force it to stay on through the night.

The elevators. Ahh, the elevators. There are only 2 and they are so slow that small LCD TVs have been installed over the doors on every floor so you can be entertained while whistling away your wait. They are good conversation-starters and one guy even suggested a waiting room or lounge for people waiting for the elevator! Good chuckle at that one.

Some here have complained about the neighborhood. I say so what. They are being too touchy. It appears that there is ample security at the Hotel and the neighborhood seems to be eerily quiet rather than scary.

Parking is in a separate building a few feet from the Hotel's rear entrance. It's multi-level and each floor is served by an elevator.

Some here have complained about the LCD TV/desk set-up. Get a grip. It's perfectly fine unless someone using the desk is 6'9" and sitting straight up. There are plenty of AC receptacles right under the TV making it very easy to plug in all my chargers...phone, camera etc.

No pool. And I can't compare it to other Renaissance Hotels because I haven't stayed in any.

Dinosaur is about a 5 minute drive. The Dome is about 7 minutes.

In sum: I recommend this property and I would stay there again altho others did recommend the Sheraton and I will seek more info about it.

• Liked — employee attitude
  • Disliked — elevators are slow
  • Stayed June 2008
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
PA
Reviewed May 27, 2008

The room was oddly shaped but spacious. The room was clean and well stocked with towels, wash cloths and such. The TV was nice and big and was good for watching a movie on. There was no dresser space and very little closet space. The bathroom was OK but I didn’t like that it had no bathtub. The vanity space was limited and water sprayed everywhere when doing anything. The bed was comfy.

We ordered room service and it came quickly and was of good quality. It was also reasonably priced.

On our second night a few days later we were given room 1207 away from the highway. The room was laid out exactly as the previous room and was clean. The crib was already set up in the room which we requested when checking out a few nights earlier. The staff was friendly and always willing to help.

We had breakfast at the restaurant and was pleasantly surprised by the pricing and quality. The hotel seemed empty the last night we stayed. There is not much to do in the town of Syracuse. We drove around looking for a place for dinner and had to drive about 5 or so miles out of town to find something open.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
Florida
Reviewed April 9, 2008

If you are in search of the quality Renaissance is known for this is not the hotel for you. Clean. Helpful and courteous staff. The room layout was odd, you have to strain your neck looking up to watch tv while sitting at the desk. Cheap furniture that is scratched up. The shower and bathroom are industrial chic. Free parking! The surrounding neighborhood just south of hotel is extremely sketchy. A few short blocks walk to downtown. Check out the Mission restaurant in the building of a former old church. Best food and service of vacation.

• Liked — marriott points
  • Disliked — cheap furniture and ghetto neighborhood
  • Stayed March 2008
1 Thank time_traveler99
Ottawa
Reviewed April 2, 2008

I stayed here for just a single night and was pleasantly surprised by the hotel, overall. It doesn't look like much from the outside but when you get into the hotel, it's been very well laid out and the rooms although odd-shaped, are quite luxurious. I must say that the best part of the stay was the warmth and professionalism of the staff from check-in to breakfast at the Club Lounge to check-out. Well done, I'll be staying here again.

• Liked — Staff, comfortable beds
  • Disliked — A bathtub would have been good
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
Kanata, ON
Reviewed March 30, 2008

We really enjoyed our quick one night stay at the Renaissance in Syracuse. I believe the hotel has been recently renovated and the rooms are very luxurious. The main hotel is a circular building with great views of the city from the upper floors. The room fixtures are all new and very modern and the bathrooms were appointed with a rain shower and glass enclosure. The bed was among the best I have ever experienced and the inclusion of a nice plasma TV was a great touch.

The heating and air systems in my room should eventually be replaced. We had a problem with the first room and a kind member of the desk staff came up to give us a hand and switch us to another room.

Parking was free which was a great touch and when we left in the morning there was fresh coffee and newspapers waiting for us in the lobby. I would definately advise my friends and family to stay here on any future visits to Syracuse. A note for airport travel, you can reach the airport in about 10 minutes, so it would also make a great layover option.

• Liked — Free parking and comfortable beds.
  • Disliked — Heating and air conditioning system.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed March 28, 2008

Very stylish and comfortable rooms. The front desk was very helpful and friendly. The best part was that the hotel van was available to drive us around downtown, pick us up at restaurants, take us to and from the airport. The restaurant was above average as well in food quality and service. I would stay there again.

• Liked — The bed was great!
  • Disliked — Slow elevators
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
Albany, NY
Reviewed February 2, 2008

The Renaissance (a Marriot Chain Hotel) is a recently renovated hotel that is a great value for the look and feel of the rooms.

The pro's are many and the con's are few...

The pro's:
The hotel shuttle service is great. They took me to/from Amtrak as well as back and forth to my meetings each day and to different locations around town on my down time. It saved me a lot of cab fare-just try to book in advance.

The room was very comfortable, I had a king room on the 6th floor. Big fluffy pillows, well decorated, LCD TV.

All of the staff were extremely pleasant, from room service, the shuttle driver and especially the front desk staff. Willing to go above and beyond to make you happy.

Free coffee/tea/bottled water and fruit in lobby each morning and cookies in the afternoon. Also complimentary USA Today each day.

The room service menu while too expensive (as most hotels are) was full of options. Also, a restaurant called Redfields located in the hotel. They do a breakfast buffet for about $15pp-has everything. Too much food and too much $ for my taste but others I traveled with loved it.

The Cons:
Not the most centrally located, but I guess Syracuse is kind of spread out. It is right near University Hospital if you need to go there. So walking too far in the Syracuse winter was kind of out of the question.

Internet in the rooms isn't wireless-not a big deal, but I like to sit on the big comfy bed and do my work rather than at the desk. And speaking of the desk-it is right under the awesome LCD tv and right next to the heat/AC unit. So I was either too hot or cold and craning my neck while watching tv. Not a big deal if you don't intend to do any work, but for business like me it mattered.

No breakfast included, which I prefer.

Overall, a great value. The regular room rate is around $150/night. I got the government rate for my job at $85/night. More than worth the $85/night.

I would recommend the small cafe in the Parkview hotel directly next door for breakfast, sandwiches, snacks and even a glass of wine. The prices are more reasonable than the Renaissance and it has great atmosphere. I got a chai tea, piece of fruit and egg/ham/cheese for breakfast for about $8. I also got a lovely cheese tray with nuts and fruit, a cookie, a sandwich wrap and a botique soft drink there for about $19. (To compare the continental breakfast I had from room service was $20-water, muffin and a few berries...) They have a great selection of wines too.

Also, if you can you MUST get thy self to Dinosaur BBQ. AWESOME bbq. Skip the mall it isn't worth it.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — The location
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business