“Excellent hotel, setting not great”
Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel

Crowne Plaza Hotel
Ranked #13 of 31 Hotels in Syracuse
Reviewed June 25, 2012

We found the hotel easily as it is just off the free-way. Parking is at the hotel.
Our room was excellent, It is an odd shape due to the hotel being cylindrical but that seems to add something to the charm.
We didn't eat in the hotel but had a drink in the bar which was nice and reasonably priced.
Staff were very efficient and very friendly. We only stayed one night but would happily stay longer.
The one thing worth mentioning is the setting. It's a 15-20 minute walk to the downtown area and the route isn't the best, a bit scruffy and we felt slightly uneasy as visitors.
Quite possibly we might have taken the wrong route due to lack of local knowledge.

Room Tip: The higher you go the less road noise you get.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sandy M
Management response:Responded July 2, 2012

Greetings Amfrom:

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit to Syracuse, NY. We are known in the area for the cylindrical shape of the hotel! Our reasonably priced drinks in our newly renovated Library Lounge is the perfect setting to visit with friends or catch the game on one of the many large flat screen TV's. Thank you for sharing your experience and next time you visit be sure to try our new menu selection in Redfield's Restaurant!

Reviewed June 22, 2012

We (me, husband, daughter) were in town for a family event taking place at the hotel, and had asked for early arrival. We arrived at noon and our room was ready - this made us pretty happy. However - The block of rooms reserved for our gathering were King rooms which list as able to accomodate 3 people. I booked 3 people. Common sense would tell you that we needed a rollaway, but I told them explicitly while making the reservation just to be sure. When we checked in the rollaway wasn't noted on our check-in tally, so I asked about it. "I'll have is sent right up" was the reply. That was noon - I asked again at 4, at 9, at 10. When my husband went down to the desk at 10:30 (left event to take care of this!), then someone actually did get the ball rolling. 11 hours and 5 requests. The second night, we returned from an outing to find neither of our key cards worked - that was another 15 minute wait. Got inside the room - towels for 2 had been brought up when maid cleaned - she took out 3 of course, because there were 3 OF US. My brother-in-law's room was even worse. The maid actually took the Do Not Disturb sign off the desk and put it on the outside of the door so it would seem the guests had not wanted their room cleaned, and she didn't clean it. The little fridge in their room looked like it had been in a monster truck rally. The robes they requested were promised but were never delivered. Most of the event rooms were absolutely freezing and you could keep sides of beef for a month at those temps. On a positive note or 3 - the staff were pleasant, the food in Redfield's was really good, the food at the catered event was good, and the beds were pretty comfortable. The place is physically pretty good, but is so disorganized and poorly managed that they can't handle being full. Needs a new manager desperately.

Management response:Responded July 2, 2012

Greetings Melsey:

Our sincerest apologies that you had to ask multiple times to receive your rollaway. I can assure you this is not the norm and this information will be passed on to the various operational teams to ensure we learn from your feedback to improve! On a positive note we are happy to hear you enjoyed the food in Redfield's as well as for the event you attended and that the staff was pleasant. Thank you for taking the time to share your stay experience with us.

Reviewed June 20, 2012

Stayed at the hotel for one night on May 26th... Upon arrival, I was greeted immediately by hotel staff. Since I'm a Gold Priority member, they were waiting for me with everything ready... It really made check-in a breeze! Since we were there to celebrate a friend of mine's engagement, I had requested an upgrade but wasn’t holding my breath since I knew that they were celebrating 2 weddings that day... But to my wonderful surprise, they were able to accommodate us to the executive floor with an executive suite... It was quite pleasant and my friend were very happy!!! We even had turn down service which was a very nice bonus... All in all, I would recommend staying at this hotel for any type of occasion and I'll definitely stay there again for my next shopping trip in Syracuse!

Room Tip: Don’t be afraid to ask for an upgrade... Usually, if they have availability, they'll do it!!! Yo...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank danyka006
Management response:Responded June 22, 2012

Greetings danyka006:

Thank you for staying with us during your visit to Syracuse. Your loyalty to Priority Club certainly does have perks here at the Crowne Plaza Syracuse! The Carousel Mall will have its grand re-opening on August 2nd so we hope to see you in the near future for more shopping!

Reviewed June 18, 2012

Having grown up in Syracuse, I am not overly familiar with the hotels as a guest, but having NOT lived in Syracuse in over 30 years, I found myself at this hotel on business. (Girlfriend had one day of work at the University and this was the hotel.)

At check in, I knew enough to request a room NOT overlooking the highway, and I asked for a high floor. The reservation was for a King, but I told the front desk person two doubles would work if we could get a better room. Sure enough, we were give 1801 (the hotel has 19 floors and a ballroom on 20.) The room was not overlooking the adjacent highway ( I-81) but it was facing I-690, which is a bit away, but still can cause some noise (especially if one is a very light sleeper, which unfortunately I am). I called the front desk from the room, and I was told another room was available and someone would bring the keys right up. 10 minutes later, the person who checked us in was there with the new keys, a friendly smile, and an offer to help us mover our bags (we declined). I go into such detail because ALL the service we encountered at this hotel was wonderful.

The rooms are a bit small, BUT... that is a function of this hotel. The hotel, built in the 1960s (when I was a mere youth) is circular. Therefore, the rooms are slightly pie shaped. It has recently been renovated and simply put, the rooms and shower are gorgeous. Very modern and sleek. My only room complaint was the lack of a comfortable chair or couch to sit on. (The desk chair was ok, but I wound up on the bed to watch the Wallenda cross Niagara Falls... and with a bad back.... etc)

What is SO interesting about this property is the elevators. There are three, two adjacent to each other, and the third around the central core. You press the button of the floor you want OUTSIDE the elevator.... where you normally press the up or down button. Once in the elevator, there are no buttons to press. Literally EVERY first time user is confused.... I sure was. Once it's explained it works well enough.... it's just so very strange.

OOOO... how could I not mention the view! I mentioned I grew up in Syracuse because I had rarely seen ALL of Syracuse from such a majestic perch! We were also EXTREMELY lucky in that during our 3 day stay, the sky in Syracuse was blue from horizon to horizon. (This happens in Syracuse VERY rarely.... you can look it up... Syracuse is one of the most cloudy cities in the US.) I was able to go up to the 20th floor which is used for meetings or other events... a very flexible arrangement. I was there when it was empty.... and I could see all around Syracuse. From this height, you are as tall as almost everything in sight. Onondaga lake (looks beautiful from this distance... up close... not so much), the Dome, downtown etc etc etc. I just loved it and spend over an hour just looking. (of course, when I travel on pleasure I always go to the highest buildings or revolving restaurants.....)

One downside of this hotel is location. The immediate walking neighborhood is in transition... by this I mean there is lots of nothing. Parking lots, another hotel next door......Not far from the University or downtown, just not a comfortable walk after dark. HOWEVER, the hotel is aware of this and they have a courtesy shuttle for a 3 mile radius. I did not take the shuttle, but when I was at the desk I heard the desk clerk talking on the phone to a guest getting the shuttle to him. I would guess that the shuttle service meets or exceeds the superb service I encountered in this hotel....for example:

Rather than go out, we went to the Library bar on the the first floor. It was quiet and early on a Thursday night. We found comfortable chairs and I was about to walk over to the bar to get a drink. A server, whom I had not noticed, told me he'd be right over. Not only was he over within seconds, but offering remote controls to control the large screen high def televisions in the area I was in. Again, just exceptional service.

They have some kind of breakfast situation which we did not get as our room was arranged under some form of contract, but we did go up to the room where they have the breakfast and it was a MOST comfortable room. I suggest if you make reservations to stay here, try to get the breakfast.

The hotel has a large free parking garage adjacent to it..... no tickets to get in or out.. just drive in. (Of course, if Syracuse succeeds in bringing this neighborhood back to life, they will probably put some type of control on the garage.. but for now..... easy as can be.

I guess by my lengthy review you can tell I enjoyed this place and recommend it.

Room Tip: On the 18th floor, be sure to ask for 1807 thru 1814... I am guessing they are the same on all floor...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Mark W

Greetings Mark W:

It sounds as if you had an all around perfect experience while staying with us at the Crowne Plaza. With our most recent renovations we have state of the art elevators and lock systems on the doors. All this in addition to the complete room renovation! What a great walk down memory lane for you to visit and I'm sure the downtown buildings have changed over the years.

Reviewed June 18, 2012

There are many good things about the Crowne Plaza,Syracuse N.Y. The Hotel has a free parking garage. The food is better than most Hotels I have stayed in. The rooms are large,comfortable and clean. The bed is quite comfortable. They have a nice gym with free weights, which is something you do not find in most Hotel gyms. Great high def flatscreen
and a safe and refrigirator in the room that has wireless access. The staff is effecient. The snack food is good in the bar/lounge. The 20th floor room has windows surrounding the room in every direction and great for a wedding reception. The Hotel is close to Highway 81 so if the slight
noise of truck traffic affects your sleep it is not for you. Keep in mind the noise is minimal
but worth mention. The upside of that is the convenience of the location and many of us where from other states and had no problem finding the Hotel. It has the distinctive round architecture but they have designed the Hotel to get maximum amount in that space and offer great views of the City.

Room Tip: A room on the side furthest away for Highway would be helpful and the higher floors have a great vie...
1  Thank John G

Greetings John G:

Glad to hear you enjoyed the wedding you attended here at the Crowne Plaza! Rob is our Catering Sales Manager and does an excellent job planning and executing a once of lifetime experience for our bride and grooms. Spread the word and we hope you return for another get away in the near future.

Reviewed June 17, 2012

Right next to I-81 and a few minutes from the Amtrak station, I enjoyed a quiet stay. The shower experience was the best I've had and the bed featured pillow overload. Great looking LG TV. The bathroom door was a little squeaky, but that's about it, negative wise. There is free parking the adjacent parking garage. Fast elevators and relaxing lounge area downstairs,

1  Thank Bill M

Greetings Bill M:

Thank you for the outstanding review! You hit many of our outstanding features and service that when combined equal an outstanding stay. We also look forward to your return!

Reviewed June 16, 2012

My family is currently living in Ft Drum NY, which is a little more than an hour north of here. When the military offered to send couples here to syracuse for a weekend getaway, we were so excited. Especially considering that my husband and myself have recently gone through some traumatic events, we really needed the getaway. The hotel here was great for the most part, very clean and friendly staff. However, waiting for the elevator was more than rediculous. I was disappointed that there was not a bathtub, only a shower. I bought bubble bath just for this. There was a nice flat screen tv but the HBO channel kept going out like it was a satellite connection, there werent many channels, even with all the extra hookups, you couldnt hook anythng up to the tv and we rented a movie for $10 and the picture was terrible. I wouldnt suggest walking around the area or atleast no more than a few blocks away. Was kinda disappointed in the trip but still thankful for the getaway.

Room Tip: a room that you wouldnt mind using the stairs to get to
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Greetings Jacqueline O:

Thank you for joining us for the military event. Your service to our country is appreciated! Our apologies on the TV issues but we are very glad to hear that the staff was friendly. Hope to see you and your husband back soon for another get-a-way.