“Good for a short stay...”

Clarion Inn & Suites - Fairgrounds
Ranked #25 of 31 Hotels in Syracuse
Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

The rooms are very comfortable. The beds are great. It's sad to see a good, solid built property being run into the ground. The guest washer and dryer works iffy at best. Loves to take your money but not work correctly. They advertise coffee available 24/7 but it's not. When both issues were brought to their attention their response was indifferent. It's a good place to stay for a short visit. We had planned for 2-3 weeks but left for another property after 4 days.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed November 11, 2013

I had such a bad experience at this hotel. They gave me a basement room that was Musty, Spider webs all around the ceiling area and it all bothered me. The clerk nicely gave me a room on the main floor, but then there was water damage on the ceiling. I decided I had no choice but to stay there for the night, but will never go back. I did not sleep well with it all on my mind and decided I would not eat there either. It is such an easy access from the interstate so how sad the hotel has not been kept up in much better condition.

Room Tip: Definitely DO NOT be in the downstairs area rooms.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 7, 2013

This inn does not have an earth moving view but I really like this place! The service has always been great and my room has always surprised me at how nice it has been. The free hot and cold breakfast is ample and in a section of their interior restaurant. The people at the front desk have always treated me excellent which is pretty remarkable compared to the other hotels of any price that I stay at. I am looking forward to my next business trip later in this area. There is an incredible park with a great tared walking roads and paths along the lake side near by. Fantastic Christmas season area!

Room Tip: The one negative is there are truck freezers running in the next business over on one side.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Beth V, Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites - Fairgrounds, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We are so pleased that you continue to stay at the Clarion Inn & Suites. We look forward to may more visits!

Reviewed September 20, 2013

Stayed over for 1 night. Very clean and nice room but little musty smell but didnt notice after awhile. Nice linens. I would stay again. Easy access from exit 39. Nice restaurant bar and taxi service available.

Beth V, Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites - Fairgrounds, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

We very much appreciate and value your feedback and will share it with our team. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. We look forward to seeing you for future visits.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

I have a Corporate lodging card where I get a discount off participating hotels. I called the hotel to make the reservation for 8/30-8/31 told them I was using CLC. The rate was supposed to be $96 with the CLC. I checked into the hotel, gave them my membership card, girl at the desk made a copy of it and handed it back to me. I figure everything was fine, no issues with my overnight stay, I check out and leave. Then find out my credit card was charged FULL price. I call CLC to find out why, they call the hotel and are told "the fair was going on, we dont honor CLC during that time" Ok, fine but WHY was there no black out dates on the CLC site like there is supposed to be as per their contract? WHY wasn't I told when I personally called the hotel, WHY wasn't I told when I handed them my member card at check in? No refund, no apologies from this place either, I won't be back.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Beth V, Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites - Fairgrounds, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns. There are some dates throughout the year that are considered special events, where discounted rates are not available. I apoligize for the confusion with your reservation.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

I can honestly say that this was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. We checked in late - around 1:00am and the whole family was exhausted. There was a dehumidifier in the hallway - right next to our room and the washing machine had towels laying around it. The room was very musty smelling but the kids were already sleeping so we just went to sleep. I tried to open the window before I did and the windows had pastic over them so they wouldn't open. The dresser that the tv was sitting on had 3 broken drawers - with 1 the face was almost completely off. When we woke up in the morning we all felt sick. My son has a very sensitive respiratory system and he was sick and coughing the the rest of our vacation. We only stayed one night in the horrible hotel room but it was enough to make us sick. The musty smell only got worse and when we checked out I asked to speak to a manager. The front desk said she had stepped out and would be back in the afternoon so I left my phone #. The next day after not hearing back I called and the manager said she wasn't even in the previous day and she would call me back. I never heard back from her and I have emailed Clarion customer service and nothing. Do NOT stay at this hotel - it is not worth it. I think I might need to call the health department and report my claims since the hotel is not doing anything about it.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Vivian F
Beth V, Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites - Fairgrounds, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2013

Reviewed September 10, 2013

I stayed at the Clarion Inn with my fiance for a weekend away in September of 2013. Part of the reason we booked this location is because the room pictures on Trip Advisor were actually quite nice and the rates seemed pretty reasonable. We were really hoping to reserve a Jacuzzi suite and presumed there were a few available since there is a picture of one shown online, but when we looked for it on the Choice Hotels website it did not offer us that option. We called the hotel directly just to see if they had them any more (perhaps they eliminated them at some point?) and they told us there was one available at $200/night. The price seemed quite steep considering it is part of a chain of hotels...prior to booking this room we were looking at the Craftsman Inn (Fayettville) and the Brae Loch (Cazenovia) which are both high end local lodgings and both of their Jacuzzi suites were at least $30 cheaper. We decided to nix the Jacuzzi suite idea altogether and went with a standard queen room for $89+tax. Upon arrival we were disappointed to see that the pool was already closed for the season, even though we just finished another week of 80-90 degree weather in CNY. That was kind of a bummer. The room itself was actually very nice though. The decor was up to date and the room was nice and spacious. Everything was very clean, the bed was really comfortable and I loved that they provided us with about 6 pillows so we didn't have to ask for extras. The location is close to the highway but traffic noise was not an issue. In the morning guests are provided with a hot breakfast down in the restaurant and though it was nothing super fancy there were an abundance of options (eggs, hashbrowns, pancakes, cereals, fruit, etc) and more than enough food. Several nights during the week there is live music at the bar downstairs so we were able to pop down and see some free live, local music which is pretty cool. Surprisingly enough, I didn't even know there was a show going on downstairs because the noise didn't carry up to the room. It was only after my fiance returned from an outing and informed me of the music that we decided to go check it out. On our second night there we ordered from room service and this was really only the major disappointment with our stay. It took at least 50 minutes for our large cheese pizza (which has to be the worst pizza I've ever had in my life...think gas station pizza...just a step down from that) to arrive at the room, and unfortunately, the menu provided does not inform guests that there is an automatic gratuity charge to the final bill. I guess in some places that is a given but to my recollection it usually always states it somewhere on the page. So, we paid $13 for a pizza, and some how it ended up becoming $20 with gratuity??? That kind of blew my mind. Same goes with a drink I purchased at the bar downstairs...automatic gratuity of $4 for a $7 martini. When I saw how over generously the employees were being tipped I thought 'Wow! I've been wasting my time at my job. I could be working here and living like a rich woman off of tips!' I think generous tips are deserved when they are earned and I always believe in tipping more than the usual 17%, but it sure would have been nice to have some control over how much we were tipping in this case. There were a couple of other mysterious charges on the final bill that we still didn't understand and though we did inquire about them prior to check out, it still didn't make much sense. Other than the above mentioned issue, our stay there was quite pleasant.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the positive feedback on your recent stay with us. We very much appreciate and value your feedback and will share it with our team. Your responses will serve as encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services to provide an exceptional experience for our guests. We hope your next visit will be even more pleasant than the previous one.