“A Nice Hotel....Nothing Really Special Though....”

The Genesee Grande Hotel
Ranked #14 of 32 Hotels in Syracuse
Binghamton, NY
“A Nice Hotel....Nothing Really Special Though....”
Reviewed October 20, 2009

Spent two nights at the Genesee Grande in September. It wa a nice enough hotel. The lobby was beautiful and the conference facilities were nice. The exercise facility was also well stocked. My room was beautiful with large flat screen TV on the wall. It was a little far away from the bed (it was in the "living area"), but not a big deal. The bathroom was fantastic, but it was a little hard to get really hot water in the AM. Outside noise was not noticed and it was close to I-81 and Downtown Syracuse. A little expensive, but definitly a beautiful hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Arabic first
boonville,ny
Reviewed October 17, 2009

The lobby is beautiful, with a pond and fish, great furniture and just beautiful! The staff is helpful and very efficient. Beds were comfy, and shower was good too. I'd recommend this Hotel to anyone!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed October 15, 2009

My husband and I drove from Baltimore to Syracuse for a college football game. We originally had reservations at The Parkview Hotel (a sister property of The Genesee Grande). The front desk at The Parkview couldn't find our reservation and they were completely booked, so they arranged for us to stay at The Genesee Grande for the same price.

The Genesee Grande is a nice hotel that combines old and new. The rooms are small, but comfortable. As other reviews have stated, the TVs are small but sufficient. It has a great location - within walking distance to the Syracuse campus and/or Carrier Dome.

I don't think I'd stay at The Genesee Grande again, only because of price. The Parkview Hotel is more in our range.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Syracuse
Reviewed October 11, 2009

Great blend of old style with modern amenities. The beds were comfy, the room was clean, and we slept great when we were there. The a/c units were a little on the noisy side. Staff was friendly and helpful, especially the staff in the little cafe attached to the hotel. It was nice to be able to grab a breakfast sandwich in the am without having to do a whole sit-down breakfast.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed October 11, 2009

The check in was quick, the woman working the desk was friendly, even printed out the local restaurants, gave a recommendation to try Dinasour Bar-B-Que, which was great food. Room was very small, but nice. Only complaint is the comforter was had a very large stain on it, which was gross. Otherwise, the room and stay was good. Very close to Syracuse University. Room service was good and fast.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Ridgewood, NJ
Reviewed October 8, 2009

My husband, seventeen year old daughter and I stayed here for one night during a visit to Syracuse University. The room was clean, but very small and faced a brick wall. We didn't really care about the view, though, so it wasn't an issue. The front desk staff was not particularly friendly, especially when they realized that we had booked the room with priceline. Breakfast was delicious, but the waiter, again, wasn't particularly friendly, and he could not have known that we booked thru priceline. I guess friendliness is not at the top of the list of important characteristics for employees of this hotel.

The hotel was very convenient to the University and there was ample parking.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 2, 2009

This was my third time at the Genesse Grande. I stayed three days in August when I took my son to start his first year at Syracuse University. They set a special table in the lobby offering fresh fruit and water to University families. Very thoughtful. The lobby was immaculate, beautiful and restful; I like the fish pond and the oversized bouquets. The front desk staff went out of their way to answer questions or find extra water bottles. I used the fitness center twice; treadmill more than met my needs and the two tv's was a nice touch. The door man who helped take 6 suitcases to our suite left before I could tip him; I had to chase him down at the elevator. His whole focus obviously was on service, not the tip. The door men greeted me sincerely every coming and going. Our room was spotless, spacious and well appointed; the bed one of the most comfortable hotel beds I've every slept in. The bartender was friendly and expert. She spent some time helping me select the right vintage of wine so I could take a bottle up to my suite for the rest of my stay, chilled in it's own ice bucket. I pased the General Manager at the door one day and she asked if I was enjoying my stay, how my accommodations were, and asked about my kids. I'm a customer for life.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family