“Pure Luxury!”

Ranked #14 of 32 Hotels in Syracuse
Colorado
“Pure Luxury!”
Reviewed February 24, 2009

This was our first trip to Syracuse and we hit the nail on the head with choosing the right hotel. Being the romantic that I am, I went for one of the huge Jacuzzi Suites accompanied by the most comfortable king size bed my girlfriend and I have ever slept in. The staff was great. We experienced a safe, comfortable, and quick shuttle to and from the airport, a painless check-in with help with our bags, great advice on local places to dine or shop, and help or directions on whatever else we needed. They made us actually feel like they appreciated us staying there. They are in a great location, have luxurious and comfortable rooms, and service with a smile. I will definitely be staying with them again upon my return to Syracuse! A++!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank boredintrinidad

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Arabic first
Beloit, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 6, 2009

Whe we first entered the hotel the lobby and the indoor pond with fish were all very pretty. Thats were the elegance ended. The gentleman at the front desk was extremely rude. As I do at all hotels I asked if there wereany upgraded rooms available, his response, " you only get what you paid for." After checking in, my wife and myself proceded to the room. The room consited a of a narrow hallway with a with a bedroom at the end. The room was about 10x15ft with a very very small full/queen bed. There very little light and the TV was about 13" is size. I immediately called the front desk to ask if we would get a double. Returning to the front desk, this time a lady told me again, "when you book on Priceline, you get what ever we give you." I asked politely if it was possible to get a double because we had just driven 8 hours and need more than a full size bed for 2 people. Grudgingly she agreed and gave us keys to a double.

The double room was of a decent size, but had its own problems. The TV in this room was a flat screen that was maybe 15" mounted on the wall......You had to squint to see the picture from the bed. Once we were finally trying to go to sleep, you could hear EVERY DOOR on the entire floor open or close. You can hear your neighbor's TV. You can hear people talking down the call. It was like sleeping in a room with cardboard walls.

Even the people at the front desk during checkout had to point out " you booked your stay on Priceline, we have nothing to do with your bill."

We booked the hotel on Priceline for $80+taxes. Trying to book this 3 1/2 star hotel on expedia or the website would cost approximately $250. Even spending $80, I felt like I was getting riped off.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Front Desk Staff, Cleaning Staff, Room Size, TV size
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Desi_traveler_77
Noank, Connecticut
Reviewed January 17, 2009

The Genessee-Grande has a lovely lobby and public spaces, including a wonderful English-pub style lounge. The rooms, unfortunately, are less attractive. We stayed in a Mayflower suite, the most common room type in the Mayflower section of the hotel, which is across the outside entrance from the main part of the hotel. The suite had a small living room and a small bedroom with king bed, separated by a long, narrow bathroom. The entire suite was very dark, having only a small north-facing window in each room. And there was only one lamp in the living room, on the small desk. The sofa was useful only for watching tv, since it had no light source for reading. My biggest complaint, however, was the lack of space in the bathroom for putting anything. The pedestal sink had no room for toiletries, and there were no shelves or other space. Even the toilet top was useless, since it was already being used for the hotel bath products and glasses. We ended up putting our toiletry cases on the floor.

There is no interior access to the public rooms from the Mayflower section; and while the distance across the entrance is short, it can be very cold and icy in winter. I recommend that you specify a room in the Genessee part of the hotel. The Genessee suites are somewhat nicer, especially if you ask for a room with a vanity in the bath.

The staff was very friendly and accomodating. I asked for a coffee pot, which is not standard in the rooms, and it was delivered in 10-15 minutes. I would not mind returning to the hotel, as long as I was able to get one of the Genessee suites with more light and more storage space, but it would not be my first choice.

Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank rarin2go
The Woodlands, Texas
Reviewed January 6, 2009

Not too much time... just wanted and had to say the staff was EXCELLENT. Very accommodating people, friendly and knowledgable.

I was there on a business trip for a few days and I was very impressed. I travel alot and visit alot of hotels and this was a nice place to be besides being home.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank rll09
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 1, 2008

As the old joke goes. my wife and two teenagers spent a month in Syracuse last weekend. We had a family function and the Genesee Grand was a couple of blocks away so it was convenient to stay there. Plus the rate was quite reasonable. We paid only $107 plus taxes for a room with a small sitting area and a pull out sofa. We got the last room available which became evident when we saw our relatives' rooms which were much larger and were really full-sized suites.
There is nothing wrong with this hotel. The room was clean with a nice bathroom. Service was pretty good and the people were friendly. The hotel restaurant was average at best, and we had really slow service one morning at breakfast, but they tried hard.
My kids used the Wi-Fi service and we were not charged extra for it.
So bottom line, this is probably as good a hotel choice in Syracuse as you will find. Just don't expect the Ritz or Four Seasons. And in case you didn't know it already, Syracuse is not Manhattan. But the Genessee Grand is good value and we were pretty satisfied.

• Liked — Clean room, good value
  • Disliked — Very unexciting. Mediocre restaurant
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 29, 2008

I discovered the Genesee Grande Hotel quite by accident, as I was lost looking for another hotel, and was immediately impressed by its lobby and the pretty little fountain with fish swimming around. So, I made a mental note to stay there in the future, and have since done so twice. The rooms are quite nice, and there are two computers with free internet access in the lobby.

On my first visit, the hotel restaurant served magnificent fare, really sophisticated fusion cuisine. On my second trip, with great anticipation, I went excitedly to the restaurant and was hugely disappointed with the quality of food. Tried to think that perhaps this was a bad exception, gave them another try, and got even worse results. Having said this, overall, it is a lovely hotel.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
Reviewed November 12, 2008

I would recommend this hotel to everyone! My husband and I recently stayed at the Genesee Grande on a roadtrip out to Old Forge. Mostly we stop in Syracuse for the mall, and see a pretty sad urban scene around the city. This time, we booked on Hotwire, and got a deal that looked like it was about half the listed price. We were surprised to see that the Genesee and area around the university were really quite nice. I gotta say I was really impressed with the hotel. The decor was gorgeous, service was excellent, and the room service including the wine was reasonably priced. We had room service breakfast in the morning and it was excellent. The restaurant in the hotel seemed busy too, but it's wasn't noisy. Our room had a living room area and two tvs and a spacious bathroom. If you're in Syracuse, this is the place to stay.

• Liked — location, decor, service
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple